Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Serbia Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• As Sven used to say a lot - well, first half good, second half not so good.
  • Tough 2nd half but big win. 
  • A wins a win but hardly convincing. Improvement needed. Play 2 wingers next time.
  • Same old, same old. Don’t utilise our attacking threat nowhere near enough. Typical Southgate performance. 94 minutes I won’t get back.
  • edited June 16
    Job done!!

Wasn't pretty but its three points on the board, we're three points closer to the KO Rounds, which is the important factor in the Group Stages.

Cant win the Tournament after this game, we started slowly at the Euros, we beat Iran 6-2 at the World Cup, and still had a drab draw the next game. For all their possession second half, Serbia created what... One chance that Pickford really had to make a proper save from?
  • Three points with this tournament format is good though, less pressure on the next two games to hopefully tinker and get things right.
  • That was dreadful. Have to be honest - you do wonder what another manager with more enterprise could do.

Anyway wins a win a but we look comfortably the worst so far of the main nations 
  • Thank god that’s over. Absolutely turgid. 
  • Sponsored links:

• God that was crap
  • rThreeLions - Our History at opening games
    It was like watching Charlton apart from avoiding the 94th minute equaliser, but despite that Southgate does it again.
  • sam3110 said:
    Let's be honest here, of the big names we've seen so far, (Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands) we looked the worst
    I agree but still early days though. We were poor in the group stage at the last Euro's and made the final. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia in their first game at the world cup and went on to win it.

Southgate has 2 more games to figure it out, because if we play like that once we get to the knockouts we'll be home early.
  • Hope it's just first game jankiness, but France/Germany/Spain et al will have us for breakfast if thats a typical performance from us at this tourney. 
  • Didn't watch it, sounds like I made the right decision...🙄
  • First game win.
    Next. 
  • Southgate never seems capable of reacting to a tactical switch, Serbia moved 10 yards up the pitch and pushed their fullbacks on and Southgate did nothing to counter that.

Yet again with England, world class players looking bang average in a tournament. 

Foden was shocking, absolutely woeful.
    What did Serbia create though with their tactical switch? - They advanced a few more yards, but our players dealt with everything they threw at us.

If anything it reminded me of the World Cup game against France, they took the lead and basically let us have the ball, and invited us to break them down, we couldn't do it - We did the same with Serbia tonight.Yes we had chances to make our lives easier, but I'd hope we equally didnt get out of 2nd / 3rd gear this evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 16
    Serbia shit. England 1 goal less shit.

So proud.
  • Through the first seven games, England are most fouled side.
  • A wins a win.A clean sheet to boot.We will get better.Foden and Trent out and Gallagher and Gordon in for the denmark game would be my only changes.Come on England.
  • For all the worrying, Serbia had no shots from inside the England penalty area in the entire second half.
    No but they had one from outside that forced Pickford into an excellent save.
  • sam3110 said:
    Let's be honest here, of the big names we've seen so far, (Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands) we looked the worst
    I agree but still early days though. We were poor in the group stage at the last Euro's and made the final. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia in their first game at the world cup and went on to win it.

Southgate has 2 more games to figure it out, because if we play like that once we get to the knockouts we'll be home early.
    Could have said the same after our performance against Croatia @ Euro 2020

We then went on to draw with Scotland in an even worse 0-0, but it helped get us out of the Groups - Same two years ago, we waltzed past Iran (Who were a lesser opponent), and then ensured we didnt go into the last game desperately needing points.

Its boring but its efficient.
  • Through the first seven games, England are most fouled side.
    A lot of soft fouls, English players seem to make the most of it 
  • For all the worrying, Serbia had no shots from inside the England penalty area in the entire second half.
    No but they had one from outside that forced Pickford into an excellent save.
    If that’s the worst we had to deal with, that’s not bad going.

Only the second team out of 14 to keep a clean sheet…
  • Probably just about deserved to win but on that showing, we will go out to the first decent team we play.
  • Our midfield worries more than the defence. Guehi looks solid