Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Serbia Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• iaitch said:
    You're the Special Stupid One.
    Yayyy!!
  • Yes it's job done, 3 points and all that but, that was awful second half.
    Serbia may well not have had a shot from inside our area, and their press may have lead to nothing,  but all this game has done is show how a better nation would fair against us.

Wasn't expecting a goal fest as it's England (hence the prediction) but at least expected a comfortable showing from start to finish.

I don't think we'll be 1-0 it to the final 😅
    Equally though I don't think we would set up like that against a better nation. I don't see us using TAA there as we go on and need more fight in the midfield and the plan is definitely for Shaw to be ready by the knockout games. Players will emerge as well; if Foden keeps looking poor in the groups then Eze or Gordon will have a chance to burst into the starting 11 like Saka did at the last Euros. Kane always starts slowly and then wakes up at tournaments, Stones will do something dozy in the groups but recover, someone will get a hamstring scare. Lots still to do and much that can change, the only thing that matters at the moment is points.
  • iaitch said:
    You're the Special Stupid One.
    Yayyy!!
    Bit of banter FA, I enjoy your contributions to the forum.
  • a win's a win, nervy second half but the first half hour of the match we were straight out the traps and almost unplayable.

can see a couple of tweaks next game, although wouldn't at all be surprised if the same XI start.

Bellingham absolute rolls royce of a player - already one of the best in the world and a marked man. 

Was a bit worried about the Palace fella at CB (mainly cause I'd never really seen him play) but he had a very good game alongside Stones. Would like to see Shaw back at LB, feel like that would really help Foden be able to drift inside more.

Win the group and we get a 3rd placed side....this must be our aim, foot on the gas now and I think we'll get 9 points from 9
  • good news for those who backed us at 7 to 2 to win the tournament you can now back us at 4 to 1 it was such an impressive performance 
  • Yes it's job done, 3 points and all that but, that was awful second half.
    Serbia may well not have had a shot from inside our area, and their press may have lead to nothing,  but all this game has done is show how a better nation would fair against us.

Wasn't expecting a goal fest as it's England (hence the prediction) but at least expected a comfortable showing from start to finish.

I don't think we'll be 1-0 it to the final 😅
    Equally though I don't think we would set up like that against a better nation. I don't see us using TAA there as we go on and need more fight in the midfield and the plan is definitely for Shaw to be ready by the knockout games. Players will emerge as well; if Foden keeps looking poor in the groups then Eze or Gordon will have a chance to burst into the starting 11 like Saka did at the last Euros. Kane always starts slowly and then wakes up at tournaments, Stones will do something dozy in the groups but recover, someone will get a hamstring scare. Lots still to do and much that can change, the only thing that matters at the moment is points.

Scarily accurate probably!

Still, would have been nice to see the game out from start to finish convincingly and keep that mentality, rather than growing into it over the 3 group games. Slip up against Denmark and Slovenia win and its panic stations heading into in the last group game.

Thats not a massively disappointed or negative take from me either, wins a win at this stage.

• Let's look on the Positives 🤔
    We were 75% better than out last game against Iceland.
    Our so called "Comedy defence" kept a clean sheet.
    This is a mediocre group and we have time to get Shaw fit; 3rd group game 🤞🏻 as we need to cross from both flanks.
    We have more options with this squad to have game changers from the bench or start: Palmer, Gordon etc.
    If Foden or TAA aren't on it we have alternatives in this squad: Eze, Walton, Gallagher etc.
    If Harry Kane needs a rest then Toney or Watkins can step up 🤞🏻

Lots of decent teams in Euro 24 and we are one of the contenders.

Try to enjoy.
  • Sponsored links:

• The story of the flag... "We’d left it tied up and unattended in town, which was not the best move. However, when my mate returned it was still there much to our surprise, so he untied it, got distracted by someone asking for a fag and someone swiped it 
    Good excuse for a new one I guess…"

:D 
  • This stage is all about getting through to the next stage. We did that and we kept a clean sheet. Teams that steamroller over teams at this stage aren’t necessarily going to win the competition. Teams that do just enough at this stage and steadily improve are the ones to watch. We went into the game with a defence that pundits weren’t sure about. They kept a clean sheet but Harry Kane was given a non goalscoring break the game up role to carry out but still nearly popped up and scored. The only other team to go out and do a just enough job so far has been Italy. No surprise there.
    Playing no differently to the 2020 Euros.

Nothing special in the performance against Croatia (Serbia), boring draw against Scotland (Denmark), and then win against Czech Rep (Slovenia)

Got to the KO Rounds, and we raised our game for Germany, and then Ukraine... Denmark was a concern that Tournament but think the occasion got to us - We may have lost that tournament, but we did it via. the Lottery of penalties - When you take 90min Football into consideration, or even 120min Football into consideration, we didnt lose a single game.

If we can do the same this time round, only win in the Final without needing pens, or even using them... I wont mind.

Look elsewhere and you'll see the question of: "Should Harry Kane be starting" again which is exactly what got questioned of him three years ago as well
    As anonymous as Kane was last night barring that chance (unbelievable save from the keeper) who in their right mind is asking that question?!
  • Win is all that matters first game.nervousness can always show first game. Where the win is most important.less pressure on next game and confidence can start to grow. Job done for me performance not bothered about at this stage. 

• BertieB said:
    This stage is all about getting through to the next stage. We did that and we kept a clean sheet. Teams that steamroller over teams at this stage aren’t necessarily going to win the competition. Teams that do just enough at this stage and steadily improve are the ones to watch. We went into the game with a defence that pundits weren’t sure about. They kept a clean sheet but Harry Kane was given a non goalscoring break the game up role to carry out but still nearly popped up and scored. The only other team to go out and do a just enough job so far has been Italy. No surprise there.
    Playing no differently to the 2020 Euros.

Nothing special in the performance against Croatia (Serbia), boring draw against Scotland (Denmark), and then win against Czech Rep (Slovenia)

Got to the KO Rounds, and we raised our game for Germany, and then Ukraine... Denmark was a concern that Tournament but think the occasion got to us - We may have lost that tournament, but we did it via. the Lottery of penalties - When you take 90min Football into consideration, or even 120min Football into consideration, we didnt lose a single game.

If we can do the same this time round, only win in the Final without needing pens, or even using them... I wont mind.

Look elsewhere and you'll see the question of: "Should Harry Kane be starting" again which is exactly what got questioned of him three years ago as well
    As anonymous as Kane was last night barring that chance (unbelievable save from the keeper) who in their right mind is asking that question?!
    I saw him pick up the ball in midfield a couple of times and run at them with the ball, he drew six fouls in the game, worked hard off it and had our only other proper shot in anger other than the goal. Wasn't it him who headed the ball off the line towards the end? I know Pickford would probably have saved it, but he didn't know that. 
  • It's not the result or lack of attacking play in the second half that concerns me, it's the way we played. As soon as Serbia pressed us, we panicked, whereas the top teams, club or country, don't do that. Most of those players play for top club sides that play possession football, who never hoof the ball, yet once pressed, went for safety first even with 30 minutes to go.
  • I would like to see Palmer for Foden against Denmark, another big and physical team, Foden is just not the same player for England as he is for Citteee  .. given the Denmark/Slovenia draw, we probably need just a point from 2 to go through, that fact might help the team relax a bit.

I m o the all white garbed Slovenians looked more polished and confident than the all white garbed England. The Denmark game will tell us a lot about our side, even though, as I say, we can afford to relax a bit as we have the win v Denmark's draw

I am looking forward to the Serbia/Slovenia game, former Communist brother Yugoslavs having a fraternal bash at one another
  • Ceded control of the midfield again - would like to see Wharton given a go, have a feeling he offers the tempo management we sometimes lack. Not sure TAA understands the position well enough to give us that. 

Telling from the highlights that when Kyle Walker played one v dangerous ball across the box Foden was actually so central he was right of Kane - not coming in from the left where he would've had a tap-in. I'd start Gordon or Eze there on Thurs for better balance. 

If that's our usual duff group game out the way I'm happy - a win's a win in a tournament. 
  • I would like to see Palmer for Foden against Denmark, another big and physical team, Foden is just not the same player for England as he is for Citteee  .. given the Denmark/Slovenia draw, we probably need just a point from 2 to go through, that fact might help the team relax a bit.

I m o the all white garbed Slovenians looked more polished and confident than the all white garbed England. The Denmark game will tell us a lot about our side, even though, as I say, we can afford to relax a bit as we have the win v Denmark's draw

I am looking forward to the Serbia/Slovenia game, former Communist brother Yugoslavs having a fraternal bash at one another
    The fact we didn't look polished is why maybe we should keep the same 11. Need an 11 to gel before going further in the tournament. Serbia looked far more like a team than we did. 

The fact we didn't look polished is why maybe we should keep the same 11. Need an 11 to gel before going further in the tournament. Serbia looked far more like a team than we did. 
    Foden never looked comfortable yesterday, I think Palmer would make the team more polished and coherent for the Denmark game
  • What this team need is a leader on the pitch that when we go 1-0 up he tells all the players to ignore what is being said from the touchline lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched "99" on Amazon.   Fergie talks about you can have tactics but the players need the mentality to want to win - they need to match the manager's mentality.    

Sadly Gareth's mentality is to defend and hold on to a lead.   Why on earth nobody turned round as Pickford kept lumping it forward and spoke as a group and said play it on the floor, to feet, pop it about like we do at our club's, like we have been playing in club football for years.   

It becomes a siege mentality.   It won't win us this tournament and won't win us a tournament until Southgate leaves.

• a win's a win, nervy second half but the first half hour of the match we were straight out the traps and almost unplayable.

can see a couple of tweaks next game, although wouldn't at all be surprised if the same XI start.

Bellingham absolute rolls royce of a player - already one of the best in the world and a marked man. 

Was a bit worried about the Palace fella at CB (mainly cause I'd never really seen him play) but he had a very good game alongside Stones. Would like to see Shaw back at LB, feel like that would really help Foden be able to drift inside more.

Win the group and we get a 3rd placed side....this must be our aim, foot on the gas now and I think we'll get 9 points from 9
    I believe he has been training but having not played since February he can't be anywhere near match fitness. I'd hope the plan would be to give him 20 minutes as sub against Denmark and then maybe an hour against Slovenia so he's ready for the knockouts. 

We can't throw him into the knockouts having not played for 4 months so he has to get some minutes somewhere.

Palmer can’t really play on the left though, although granted he couldn’t do much worse than Foden yesterday. Feel like Gareth will give Foden another chance there and if it’s not working bring on Gordon/Eze
  • follett said:
    I would like to see Palmer for Foden against Denmark, another big and physical team, Foden is just not the same player for England as he is for Citteee  .. given the Denmark/Slovenia draw, we probably need just a point from 2 to go through, that fact might help the team relax a bit.

Palmer can’t really play on the left though, although granted he couldn’t do much worse than Foden yesterday. Feel like Gareth will give Foden another chance there and if it’s not working bring on Gordon/Eze
    t b h that had occurred to me as well, however Foden looked so ineffectual that giving Palmer a go on the left can't do much damage, especially as (I opine again) we need a disaster, losing both the next two games, not to advance .. the performance v Serbia was far from convincing and IF there is a time for experiment and re-evaluation, it is surely now, even though neither Denmark nor Slovenia will be soft touches i m o. Don't keep the same team if a change or minor re-jig will make that team stronger

(IF Foden plays on Thursday, I hope he has a right blinder and scores a hat trick  :) )
  • unfortunately Bellingham, Foden and Palmer all play in the same position - and Jude is No 1 at the moment, could be that we need someone different out wide.

Agree with JB, surely we could find another LB who is actually left footed, especially with Foden in front of them
  • As someone who barely watches premier league football I'm astonished how rated foden is. He is rarely involved attacking wise and mainly plays the ball back. I know I must be wrong, just like when you see for the first time some striker who's a top scorer in a league in Europe and you've never seen him before, he plays awful and you just ask "how?!"

• Foden was unbelievable for City last season, just mainly in the middle as a '10'
  • Foden was unbelievable for City last season, just mainly in the middle as a '10'
    If that's the case maybe have him as sub for Bellingham who tired in that second half after all his work he did in the first half.