Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Serbia Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Far too much negativity on here. We need cheering up.

When is Scotland's next game?
    Wednesday 8pm BBC1
  • As per usual play on front foot look great ! Go a goal up and then stop playing front foot. 3 points is good but as previous years the first time we meet anyone decent in the knockouts we will lose. Such a shame this group would win competitions with a decent manager 

foden is an enigma he never seems to show his club form for England I would bring Palmer in for him in the next game 
  • BBC doing a very good job of slating Southgate without openly saying it. The whole play not to lose is Southgate in a nutshell
    Cesc making a lot of sense, basically saying we've got players too talented going forwards to be playing defensively.
    We don't have the defence to leave it unprotected.
    You can protect a defence in more than one way.

Press harder from the front, players are rushed and the balls the defence have to deal with aren't as good.
    You think there aren't ways for teams to bypass that?

The one aspect I always love from pundits, is they'll come up with suggestions as to how teams should play - But forget / ignore that the opposition will analyse that approach, and will find a way to get round it.

For starters, we wont always keep the ball, teams will pass faster to negate the press - What happens when the ball is beyond those attacking players, who dont need to play defensively because they're too good?
    There's ways around anything, as you say other teams analyse things, there's no magic formula it's about playing your game better than others play theirs.
  • BBC doing a very good job of slating Southgate without openly saying it. The whole play not to lose is Southgate in a nutshell
    Cesc making a lot of sense, basically saying we've got players too talented going forwards to be playing defensively.
    We don't have the defence to leave it unprotected.
    You can protect a defence in more than one way.

Press harder from the front, players are rushed and the balls the defence have to deal with aren't as good.
    You think there aren't ways for teams to bypass that?

The one aspect I always love from pundits, is they'll come up with suggestions as to how teams should play - But forget / ignore that the opposition will analyse that approach, and will find a way to get round it.

For starters, we wont always keep the ball, teams will pass faster to negate the press - What happens when the ball is beyond those attacking players, who dont need to play defensively because they're too good?
    There's ways around anything, as you say other teams analyse things, there's no magic formula it's about playing your game better than others play theirs.
    Oh definitely... I just hate the way pundits seem so sure of themselves whenever they come out with crap in the studios

They then go in the dugout themselves, and last five minutes (looking at you Shearer and Neville)
  • Okay. Positive. Marc Guehi looked very very good. 
    Negative. Foden. Is it that Southgate doesn't know how to use him, (if so get on the blower to Guardiola) or Foden can't do it at international level? One or both of them need a kick up the arse.
  • It felt like the subs happened ten minutes too late (where have we heard that before?) they had 4 on by the time we had even made our first - don't think its any coincidence that the players that came on were our better players in the last 15 minutes (and probably the same for them as well)  

It's like some managers see it as a sign of weakness to make subs - it drives me mad and Southgate is a big one for it historically with England.
  • I think Serbia could do well if they get out of the group . They are a good side . That’s a good result 
    No chance. They were poor

• That game will soon be forgotten but we’ll still have 3 points from it. 
    The 1st 30 minutes we played some good football the rest of it was something we see every bloody tournament with Southgate. I don’t know if it’s him or the opposition changing and getting to grips with us. We never have an answer. I am left wondering what a good coach would get out of the group of players we have. Foden for most of the season looked like one of the best players in Europe tonight he didn’t get into the game. 
    On the plus side Jude Bellingham looked the star he is. I can’t remember a player for England with so much talent. 

• Worst football stadium in the world. Left on 83 mins and back at the hotel for 12. Genuinely reckon leaving 10
    mins earlier has saved me 3 hours of queuing.

Journey to the ground was ridiculously bad. Easily 5k of England fans queuing for about 10 busses. 
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as I love watching Foden in a city shirt, he just can't produce for England. I'd probably go even start Gordon ahead of him next game. 

Thought Guehi was very good for a first tournament appearance (annoyingly).

Serbia do have some quality players. I don't think that result was as bad as it seems. 

All that matters is the win - roll on Denmark.

• That was shite but I’ve seen better teams worse so crack on 
  • Yep. Foden once again so frustrating in an England shirt. I'm starting to think the players he plays with at city flatter him a fair bit.
    He's a bit lightweight, bottles the odd tackle and loves to stand and admire his own passes.
    At this level you need a team of leaders,  or at the very least someone who is willing to take games by the scruff of the neck.
  • Awful ball retention in the second half, it was like watching a lesser team trying to defend a narrow lead against a better side, getting deeper and deeper and regularly hoofing the ball back to the opposition,

Across the Premier League, keepers, defenders and midfielders players play from the back, trusting themselves to pass and receive the ball in tight positions, whereas here the England team reverted back 20 years to long clearances. 
  • Foden is an excellent player but maybe you just can't have him and Bellingham on the same pitch.

We were desperate for an outlet on that left flank and Foden naturally drifted into the middle of the pitch

They get knocked out by Switzerland next Wednesday.

They get knocked out by Switzerland next Wednesday.
    Aces!   :D
  • edited June 17
    Yes it's job done, 3 points and all that but, that was awful second half.
    Serbia may well not have had a shot from inside our area, and their press may have lead to nothing,  but all this game has done is show how a better nation would fair against us.

Wasn't expecting a goal fest as it's England (hence the prediction) but at least expected a comfortable showing from start to finish.

I don't think we'll be 1-0 it to the final 😅
  • I expect a rather uneventful game that England will win by the odd goal.
    But we will improve as the competition goes on and reach the final 
    Got the 1st part right. 
    I hope I get the 2nd part right. 
  • Three points is all that matters. Against the toughest test in the group (Denmark have been abject for two years now). And we only need one more point to qualify for the knockouts.
    We need to win the group. 2nd place probably means facing Germany. 
  • Sponsored links:

• This stage is all about getting through to the next stage. We did that and we kept a clean sheet. Teams that steamroller over teams at this stage aren’t necessarily going to win the competition. Teams that do just enough at this stage and steadily improve are the ones to watch. We went into the game with a defence that pundits weren’t sure about. They kept a clean sheet but Harry Kane was given a non goalscoring break the game up role to carry out but still nearly popped up and scored. The only other team to go out and do a just enough job so far has been Italy. No surprise there.
  • I think Harry Kane has misunderstood the phrase 'One touch football'
  • edited June 17
    This stage is all about getting through to the next stage. We did that and we kept a clean sheet. Teams that steamroller over teams at this stage aren’t necessarily going to win the competition. Teams that do just enough at this stage and steadily improve are the ones to watch. We went into the game with a defence that pundits weren’t sure about. They kept a clean sheet but Harry Kane was given a non goalscoring break the game up role to carry out but still nearly popped up and scored. The only other team to go out and do a just enough job so far has been Italy. No surprise there.
    Playing no differently to the 2020 Euros.

Nothing special in the performance against Croatia (Serbia), boring draw against Scotland (Denmark), and then win against Czech Rep (Slovenia)

Got to the KO Rounds, and we raised our game for Germany, and then Ukraine... Denmark was a concern that Tournament but think the occasion got to us - We may have lost that tournament, but we did it via. the Lottery of penalties - When you take 90min Football into consideration, or even 120min Football into consideration, we didnt lose a single game.

If we can do the same this time round, only win in the Final without needing pens, or even using them... I wont mind.

Look elsewhere and you'll see the question of: "Should Harry Kane be starting" again which is exactly what got questioned of him three years ago as well
  • Yep. Foden once again so frustrating in an England shirt. I'm starting to think the players he plays with at city flatter him a fair bit.
    He's a bit lightweight, bottles the odd tackle and loves to stand and admire his own passes.
    At this level you need a team of leaders,  or at the very least someone who is willing to take games by the scruff of the neck.
    The guy just scored 27 goals last season and was the PL player of the year. He is obviously a top class player, it's not as if he's a passenger for City as Pep would never have that. But it's clear something isn't working for England, and it's probably that his best position is the position Bellingham plays in. It's like the Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard thing all over again.
  • Gutted for whoever’s flag this is, and ts a quality flag.  

What is it with these Euro weirdos and their flag nicking?? 

• I'm surprised about all the negativity. I think we probably should have been more positive rather than sit back in the second half but the opening game is always going to be a bit cagey, especially for England who have such an abysmal opening game record. My biggest worry going into the tournament was the defence and despite letting Serbia dominate the ball in the second half, I thought the defence was excellent with Serbia limited to a few speculative chances from range.

The left side is definitely weak, Trippier was ok at the back but dreadful going forward as cutting back onto his right foot was so easy for Serbia to read. Foden really struggled, I do think he will grow into the tournament but think Gordon will have more of an impact if he gets the nod. 

Serbia aren't a bad side, a clean sheet (conceding 0.17 xg) and win opening game is a good start and yet England fans are still having a meltdown.
  • Gutted for whoever’s flag this is, and ts a quality flag.  

What is it with these Euro weirdos and their flag nicking?? 

That's Craig's flag. 
  • This stage is all about getting through to the next stage. We did that and we kept a clean sheet. Teams that steamroller over teams at this stage aren’t necessarily going to win the competition. Teams that do just enough at this stage and steadily improve are the ones to watch. We went into the game with a defence that pundits weren’t sure about. They kept a clean sheet but Harry Kane was given a non goalscoring break the game up role to carry out but still nearly popped up and scored. The only other team to go out and do a just enough job so far has been Italy. No surprise there.

Nothing special in the performance against Croatia (Serbia), boring draw against Scotland (Denmark), and then win against Czech Rep (Slovenia)

Got to the KO Rounds, and we raised our game for Germany, and then Ukraine... Denmark was a concern that Tournament but think the occasion got to us - We may have lost that tournament, but we did it via. the Lottery of penalties - When you take 90min Football into consideration, or even 120min Football into consideration, we didnt lose a single game.

If we can do the same this time round, only win in the Final without needing pens, or even using them... I wont mind.

Look elsewhere and you'll see the question of: "Should Harry Kane be starting" again which is exactly what got questioned of him three years ago as well
    Enjoyed your posts for years, had no idea you are José Mourinho ;-)

Enjoyed your posts for years, had no idea you are José Mourinho ;-)
    I am... the Stupid one... Wait no... thats not it ;)
  • You're the Special Stupid One.