Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Go on then, give us your score predictions.

Rumours that Conor Gallagher starts and Trent Alexander-Arnold is dropped to the bench. Will any other changes to the XI be made by Southgate?

Comments

• 3-1 to us.🤞🤞🤞
  • 2-0 England.

I don't think it'll magically be great but I think it'll be a teensy bit better.
    This 👍🏼
  • 3-1 to us.🤞🤞🤞
    hahaha the only chance of us scoring 3 goals in a match is if Southgate comes down with something after we score the 1st goal and has to spend the rest of the game in the bogs so he cant insist we get everyone back to our penalty area 
  • To score a goal will mean that we will have to pass the ball forward. 🤓
  • Should be a midfield 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden
    Drop Kane, start Watkins
    Move TAA to RB and have either Walker or Gomez LB if Shaw isn't fit enough
  • Dont think there will be any further changes but there should be.

Begging for Shaw to be fit but its just not gonna happen. I would change things up if nothing else than to keep some fit for the knockouts now we are through. 

Kane hasn't looked fit so I would start Watkins and give him 30 mins off the bench. Gordon has to start on the left if Shaw isn't fit. I would start Palmer in the 10 and Bellingham alongside Rice. Saka to start but come off early-ish to get some more minutes into Eze or Bowen. 

Tell both wingers to make runs in behind and stretch them, the front 3 has to press much better.
  • edited June 25
    Play the same back four . 
    Put Bellingham and Rice in the deeper midfield positions and give Bellingham licence to go forward when he wants . 
    Foden at no 10
    Palmer on the Left , Saka on the Right 
    Kane up front .

Talk of dropping the captain is madness . 

2-1 Kane with both 
  • Sponsored links:

• Play the same back four . 
    Put Bellingham and Rice in the deeper midfield positions and give Bellingham licence to go forward when he wants . 
    Foden at no 10
    Palmer on the Left , Saka on the Right 
    Kane up front .

Talk of dropping the captain is madness . 

2-1 Kane with both 
    I would have Gordon instead of palmer but the rest of my team would be the same as yours
  • So far we've managed to limit sides to shots outside the box, I do worry Slovenia might be a bit better at this than others, especially with Sesko in the side. 

Think it will be cagey again but I expect a 2 goal win. I'm a bit surprised Southgate isn't mixing up the left side at all, just hope if it's stale again he makes the change.
  • edited June 25
    AndyG said:
    3-1 to us.🤞🤞🤞
    hahaha the only chance of us scoring 3 goals in a match is if Southgate comes down with something after we score the 1st goal and has to spend the rest of the game in the bogs so he cant insist we get everyone back to our penalty area 

The bizarre thing is that Southgate said he doesn't want the team to have a low block and retreat after going a goal up; ok Gareth we believe but why then?

So how the hell did it happen against a hard working but mediocre team like Denmark when even your Auntie and my old Mum predicted it ?

Old Mother Soapbox sent me a text during the game saying " Why are England reversing like Italian tanks in the War"

The same scenario appeared to happen against Serbia. Gareth Southgate need to stop being so nice during a game and own the tactics.

The head coach said he didn't want them to drop back so how did a team full of top player who when playing in midfield and forward positions for their clubs press in unison become sterile and stop playing in partnerships and become timid ?

Why didn't we play a high line as our defenders are quite fast or very fast in Who's the Daddy Walker's case ?

When the manager and the players at this level don't know why we played a low block and didn't press and didn't appear to have the nous to change then a major problem has occured which is more about the weight of expectations. Good football brains switch off and no leaders on the pitch.
    The pitch was a shocker against Denmark but that is still no excuse for a dozy flat performance.

England will play better tonight and win by a couple of goals but the big hitters won't be worried by playing England; in fact they will want to play the English, if we perform in such a flat way again.
  • We all know that if England play on the front foot without fear they will score a hatful against teams like Slovenia. That is the challenge for Southgate and thank god we don't have a bloody Kalvin Phillips you dodgy nosed Palace prick, now go for it and try to end your England spell in glory.
  • 2-0 to England.
  • edited June 25

I think we'll win 1-0 again but its not going to be pretty

Keep things tight, as Slovenia will have no choice to attack us when we score

A draw might even be the case as they'll probably sit back like the rest of the third place teams going into MD3 so far have done. For some reason those teams are being really cagey, rather than realising that they're on the cusp of exiting the Euros.

The draw of course puts them above Hungary on Goal Difference so should see them through, If Denmark win / draw then they stay 3rd - If Serbia win, they should still stay 3rd worst case scenario.

Defeat on the other hand at they're vunerable to Czechia's result.

• 1-1 Usual Southgate yawn fest Zzzzzx
  • 3-1 so Croatia go out
  • Dont think there will be any further changes but there should be.

Begging for Shaw to be fit but its just not gonna happen. I would change things up if nothing else than to keep some fit for the knockouts now we are through. 

Kane hasn't looked fit so I would start Watkins and give him 30 mins off the bench. Gordon has to start on the left if Shaw isn't fit. I would start Palmer in the 10 and Bellingham alongside Rice. Saka to start but come off early-ish to get some more minutes into Eze or Bowen. 

Tell both wingers to make runs in behind and stretch them, the front 3 has to press much better.
    Why did they take Shaw in the first place?
    An almost fit Shaw normally takes weeks and weeks to get back to full fitness 
  • Solidgone said:
    To score a goal will mean that we will have to pass the ball forward. 🤓
    Not an Own goal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable win  3-0
  • Macronate said:
    0-0 at half-time.

Southgate reverts to 4-6-0 in the 2nd half to ensure adequate protection for our back four in the hope of holding on for a 0-0.

Concede late own goal scored by a Palace player, lose 1-0.

Kane, Bellingham, Foden and Stones all sent off for fighting and making rude gestures at each other in the 80th minute.

Southgate again bemoans our inability to replace Kalvin Phillips and states that he has pitched an idea to ITV executives to have a football-related Britain's Got Talent, primarily focussed on discovering central midfield holding players which will be judged by Kanu, Joey Barton, Taylor Swift and Lord Sugar.
    Almost exactly as I see it.

• Slovenia need a win so can see an open game so hopefully we can pick them off, Jude & Capt Kane 
  • Southgate showing some genius scheming, amazing selection wizardry and footballing nous...  Yeh right!
  • edited June 25
    2-0 England with a better performance than the last 2 games but nothing much to shout or get excited about. Kane & Foden with the goals.
  • Come on England!
  • Think we will win the game, but it dawned on me during half time v Denmark that we’re not gonna win the tournament. Not even close 
  • We will win this game comfortably 4-0. Me and every other fickle England fan will be singing "it's coming home" - until it won't following the next game. 
  • England 2-1 after a difficult game as the Slovenians are no mugs despite being from a beautiful mountainous country where it must be difficult to find level ground to lay a football pitch or two