Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• edited June 27
    Bellingham was majestic for the first 30 minutes of the Serbian game and Saka turned his defender inside out every time he had the ball in the 1st half of our 1st game.

Gareth has to own the reason why Jude has suddenly look so languid and his body language looks like he's got the hump.
    What has happened to his happy demeanour from the Serbia game 🤔

Not sure dropping the player that many folk on CL and in the real world was calling the best player in the world makes sense but have no issues with him being replaced during a game if needs must. 
    Jude's goals from the number 10 position was supreme for Madrid.

24 goals from 45 goals for the Spanish Champion league winners and some Posters on CL say drop him 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • edited June 27
    Bellingham was majestic for the first 30 minutes of the Serbian game and Saka turned his defender inside out every time he had the ball in the 1st half of our 1st game.

Gareth has to own the reason why Jude has suddenly look so languid and his body language looks like he's got the hump.
    What has happened to his happy demeanour from the Serbia game 🤔

Not sure dropping the player that many folk on CL and in the real world was calling the best player in the world makes sense but have no issues with him being replaced during a game if needs must. 
    Jude's goals from the number 10 position was supreme for Madrid.

24 goals from 45 goals for the Spanish Champion league winners and some Posters on CL say drop him 🤦🏻‍♂️
    He is out of form, when you have a big squad you utilise it, otherwise what's the point. There will be players on that bench chomping at the bit to get in this team. If you've got a player losing the ball, placing his passes badly, not making runs and looking tired, you bench him. Otherwise it's the England of old where players are playing on name alone. 

He had momentum when he first joined Madrid, but he faded away towards the end of the season and wasn't very influential against Man City or Dortmund in the latter stages of the champions league, tbh I still can't believe Madrid won another CL looking so ordinary. Either way, he's not a candidate for the best player in the world at this stage, maybe later, but if he's the best player in the world, then football is in a terrible state imo. Personally think Mbappe, Haaland, De Bruyne and particularly Rodri are all levels above and I wouldn't rate him above the likes of Kane, Son, Musiala etc. 

• edited June 27
    The thing I'm really not getting with Southgate is why he continually keeps leading his England sides into scenarios so similar to the ones that had a detrimental effect on his own international playing career.
     In international tournament football his trusted mantra has always been ultra cautious and never throwing caution to the wind. In tournament football that only ends up with penalty shootouts in knockout stages and Southgate always seems happy to let a game run that course.
    Why??
     it was a penalty shootout in 96 that had such a damaging effect on his own career and more unfortunately his personal life. Why then does he seem happy to lead the players that he tells us he so deeply cares about into the same scenario?

The other thing is this square pegs in round holes and experimenting in crucial games. Those old enough to remember might look at the very last game at the old Wembley. England v Germany. We were so so poor, created next to nothing and lost 1-0 in a very drab and wet affair. Manager Kevin Keegan resigned straight after the game before he was pushed. I was there. The crowd were baying for blood.
    And who was the centre midfield king ping in that game I hear you ask?
    Central defender Gareth Southgate!

I am truly baffled by his attitude. It's like he's trying to right old wrongs and that never goes well. Time to admit defeat. Bin the fairytale fantasy and get this talented group of players firing properly Gareth 
  • I was amazed to hear on Talksport this morning that because of the draw, England are now 7/2 favourites to win the trophy lol.  Obviously thats the bookies protecting themselves but blimey.
  • edited June 27
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I was amazed to hear on Talksport this morning that because of the draw, England are now 7/2 favourites to win the trophy lol.  Obviously thats the bookies protecting themselves but blimey.
    How the fuck do they work that out?  Spain and Germany have better results against tougher opposition.

For that matter Austria have better results against tougher opposition.  Knocked out in the semis again at best.
  • Here you go...

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Here you go...

Austria Each way is a no brainer. Anyone who back England at the ridiculously low price is nuts. 
  • We are favourites because of the "big" sides we have the clearest route to the final, whilst you would be crazy to back France, Germany, Spain or Portugal from a betting point of view because they've all got to play each other and 3 of them are way more likely to not make the final than England

Weird I know

Not that I would back us or believe we can win it
  • Sponsored links:

• Been mentioned elsewhere, but It really has the feel of Italia 90.. Shocking in the group with players and manager especially coming under some real unfriendly fire.

Expect a borefest for 89mins against the Netherlands and Bellingham to score a last minute Platt-esq worldy .....and lift off!

(I don't think my ticker could take another Cameroon though!)
     Whad I tell yer!!
    Fancy picking 6 numbers out for me? 🤣
  • edited June 30
    Been mentioned elsewhere, but It really has the feel of Italia 90.. Shocking in the group with players and manager especially coming under some real unfriendly fire.

Expect a borefest for 89mins against the Netherlands and Bellingham to score a last minute Platt-esq worldy .....and lift off!

Whad I tell yer!!
    Fancy picking 6 numbers out for me? 🤣
    I got the opposition wrong. What do I know!
  • Apparently Southgate had a team bonding session taking the team on the dodgems.
    The only caveat being that dash cams were fitted.
  • From a technical point of view we are setting up wrong against teams prepared to sit back against us. We are playing with players on both sides (Saka and Foden) whose instincts are to come inside. Trippier on the left has no real overlap potential. So we are playing narrow and with 3 of our 4 wide players instincts to cut in. We need more width, more runners behind stretching teams more out of shape than we currently are.

Our play is slow because there is not enough movement and width availability in front of the back four. It’s why we see so much shifting it left and right across the back four and defensive centre mid. It’s so easy for defensive teams to remain organised and retain their shape. 

It’s slow, bland and then makes it pressurised on players to find something. They then seem to tense up and lose confidence when they don’t.
    Bloody hell, AFKA for the Charlton job when Jones leave for the Wales job!
  • edited June 30
    Been mentioned elsewhere, but It really has the feel of Italia 90.. Shocking in the group with players and manager especially coming under some real unfriendly fire.

Can Carly Nostradamus Burn please give the score and scorers of England v Switzerland.
    No rush, Friday night will be fine,thanks Mystic.
    Not Dutch but spot on otherwise.
  • edited June 30