Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Southgate strikes me as a dead man walking here. He is coming across as lost.
    Also said to 5Live “operating in unusual circumstances” apparently. 

I think he's just probably just whinging about criticism they're getting but not sure.
  • The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Southgate strikes me as a dead man walking here. He is coming across as lost.
    Also said to 5Live “operating in unusual circumstances” apparently. 

I think he's just probably just whinging about criticism they're getting but not sure.
    ""We’ve made England over the last six or seven years fun again. I think it has been enjoyable for the players. We’ve got to be very, very careful that it stays that way.""

""I have to deal with what I am dealing with. I was not going to back away from going over to thank people for coming and giving the support that they did, but I know that this is causing an issue for the group.""

"I understand the narrative towards me and that's better for the team than it being towards them. But it is creating an unusual environment to operate in. I've not seen any other team qualify and receive similar."

Blaming the fans for booing is a new one. 

Touch of the Rooney "Nice to see your own fans booing you" about it.
  • edited June 25

They would look more like Crystal Palace (wash my mouth out with soap and water for swearing!).
  • I don’t get the negativity. England dominated against a team set up to get a 0-0 draw. England have topped the group and are where they need to be. 

Southgate dos need to be ruthless and drop saka and Gallagher and move foden central and play palmer and Gordon as the winger she 
  • Like watching the Addicks at times. Except they got the job done. 

• We’ve been given a bye to the final again if we don’t have Holland 
    the rest a proper load of shit 
    Think it’s highly likely that the path is going to be Netherlands -> Italy -> Belgium. Not as easy as that screenshot makes it look but far more preferable to playing Germany, Spain or France.

• Pretty grim reading for the entire group if we had conceded an equaliser to Serbia.

Imagine 6 games, 6 draws, each team with two scored and two conceded.
  • Callumcafc said:j

Pretty grim reading for the entire group if we had conceded an equaliser to Serbia.

If my aunt had bollocks she’d be me uncle mate… 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Having watched England in World Cups and Euros from 1966 I reckon this is the match when we’re all expecting us to be crap, but we’ll have our game of the tournament. 
    🤞
    Or not. 
    It’s uncanny. 
  • Gotta switch the team up. The line up that ended the game looked far more dangerous. 
  • Callumcafc said:j

Pretty grim reading for the entire group if we had conceded an equaliser to Serbia.

If my aunt had bollocks she’d be me uncle mate… 
    Fair but I meant for the group overall more than trying to pile misery on England.

• Pretty grim reading for the entire group if we had conceded an equaliser to Serbia.

Serbia will be gutted to have gone out of such a tight group with a whimper. I hadn't realised that Denmark only finished ahead of Slovenia on a better disciplinary record.
  • Scenes in the England dressing room...

•  Southgate can't understand why the fans were booing at the end of the game.  If he can't understand that what hope have we got that he will change things.
  • cafctom said:

I’ve been a Southgate supporter for a while, as the results have largely outshone the performances with decent consistency across tournaments. It’s hard to watch this and defend it though. I guess the only defence is the fact that we haven’t lost and have topped the group.

Me too, I also think only taking Shaw at LB is absolutely inexcusable.

Substitutions have been utterly ridiculous too, he seems to have become even more stubborn.

England's group in 1990 WC was exactly the same set of results.
  • I have been one of Southgate's biggest critics but I felt this was a bit better from England. We played against a team with no ambition to score and who defended resolutely with players always behind the ball. The issue for England is a big part of their game is getting behind teams which was difficult the way Slovenia set up.

Having said that, I am still critical of Southgate. Do you need two centre halves in this type of game? Why not play Stones in that quasi midfield role he has done for Man City or replace Guehi with a midfielder. That gives you an extra body which helps against the tactics of this sort of opponents. He has to solve the left side issue and Gordon may be the solution but it probably means dropping Foden in this formation. Mainoo has earned a starting place in the next game for me.

Maybe play Trent as right back and even consider Walker replacing Trippier on the left. The slow, slow passing is fine as long as you can speed it up suddenly but England have struggled to do this in this tournament. Yesterdays opponents may have been more vulnerable to players who can go past them rather than pass past them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Back in the hotel after the game. Probably my favourite city and football stadium to go to a game. I have really enjoyed how beautiful cologne is.

90 mins of pure boredom 

I don't agree ?
    89 minutes of boredom until Gordon played that through ball which the subs all had a part in.
  • Just give us the trophy now!
  • I don’t get the negativity. England dominated against a team set up to get a 0-0 draw. England have topped the group and are where they need to be. 

Southgate dos need to be ruthless and drop saka and Gallagher and move foden central and play palmer and Gordon as the winger she 
    Seriously?
  • cafctom said:

I’ve been a Southgate supporter for a while, as the results have largely outshone the performances with decent consistency across tournaments. It’s hard to watch this and defend it though. I guess the only defence is the fact that we haven’t lost and have topped the group.

Substitutions have been utterly ridiculous too, he seems to have become even more stubborn.
    In a squad of 26, most of whom won't get used anyway, you can probably afford to take 1 player who is a gamble, so i don't see taking Shaw as an issue. The problem is not taking any other naturally left sided full back, so we are now having to play Trippier and (for a few minutes last night) Trent there.

I'd be interested to know if Trent has ever played at left back in his life and if not then why does Southgate think a European championship is the time to try that? I'd honestly rather have taken someone like Mitchell at Palace or even Chilwell who at least know the role and won't slow play down by having to come back inside every time, than sticking right footed players there.
  • cafctom said:

In a squad of 26, most of whom won't get used anyway, you can probably afford to take 1 player who is a gamble, so i don't see taking Shaw as an issue. The problem is not taking any other naturally left sided full back, so we are now having to play Trippier and (for a few minutes last night) Trent there.

I'd be interested to know if Trent has ever played at left back in his life and if not then why does Southgate think a European championship is the time to try that? I'd honestly rather have taken someone like Mitchell at Palace or even Chilwell who at least know the role and won't slow play down by having to come back inside every time, than sticking right footed players there.
    Walker went out on the left, not Walker. Still not left footed granted 
  • Shows how much attention i was paying then. But yes Walker there is no better, i doubt he's played left back much/ever either to be honest so i guess my original point about a natural left footer still stands.
  • It is disappointing but international football is often like this especially for highly rated teams against teams who ’park the bus.’ 

France have been just as disappointing to their fans but they didn’t boo the players.
    I think that fans booing the players at an international tournament is an embarrassment to the nation.

’Ridiculous’ is currently the most overused and misused word in the English language. Now is the time it can be used correctly because travelling there to boo the team is the very definition of the word. I doubt it’s all the fans - there was even a flag saying ’in Southgate we trust’ - but to the fans who booed I would ask ’what’s the point?' In 2010 we had Rooney shouting back at them. This team are more diplomatic but I’m sure that they would rather be without any fans at all and play to a stadium full of opposition fans, and that’s a far bigger shame than the performances. 
  • edited June 26
    The players havent looked up to the class we expect (or rather told to expect) but the manner in which we play? Thats on Southgate he isnt forcing change, our left is virtually non existent with Foden more often than not wanting to come central where we have Bellingham and Kane standing around waiting for him to run into them.

Slow, ponderous build up isnt something the players have decided to play themselves, the Spanish comms mentioned something about out TikiTaka last night and there's your problem, we're still trying to master the 2008-2012 Spanish way of playing but England players fail to (or simply cant) understand how to move into space and make themselves available, so we sideways and back pass it before jumbling up in the central attacking area with Kane Foden and Bellingham getting in each others way. 

Bench Foden, sub on for when Bellingham fades, get another winger on and make like newer Spain...

Bah, anyway, I just wish we had Kalvin Philips :( 

• cafctom said:

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say, taking Shaw was worth the risk, but a backup was needed.
  • It is disappointing but international football is often like this especially for highly rated teams against teams who ’park the bus.’ 

France have been just as disappointing to their fans but they didn’t boo the players.
    I think that fans booing the players at an international tournament is an embarrassment to the nation.

’Ridiculous’ is currently the most overused and misused word in the English language. Now is the time it can be used correctly because travelling there to boo the team is the very definition of the word. I doubt it’s all the fans - there was even a flag saying ’in Southgate we trust’ - but to the fans who booed I would ask ’what’s the point?' In 2010 we had Rooney shouting back at them. This team are more diplomatic but I’m sure that they would rather be without any fans at all and play to a stadium full of opposition fans, and that’s a far bigger shame than the performances. 
    We've had three very poor performances - nothing for the fans to get behind. Are the players or Southgate seriously expecting praise for such mediocrity?