Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:
    I know the easy thing is to blame Southgate but I'd start with the players to be honest. Southgate hasn't told them not to make quick interchanges or move into space. They've been crap last few games and Southgate isn't making Bellingham fall over and overplay, he's not making Saka and Foden run into blind alleys and he's clearly not telling Kane to drop so deep. His subs were odd and too late as usual but I'm much more annoyed at the players than I am at Southgate today, they've not been anywhere near good enough and their prickly response to criticism shows that they know it really
    Naaah, let's blame Gareth
    It is when he is that scared he is telling them not to take any risky passes on where they might lose the ball which is the only reason I can think of why players that are positive every game week in week out trying to open up teams and are now going sideways and backwards
    Whats the excuse when there is no change under the next Manager? - I mean how many years has it been since we've done anything differently?
    Do we need to lower our expectations and be joyful we scraped a group against Slovenia, Denmark and Serbia? 

Maybe if we're lucky we might even reach penalties in our next game. 
    Well we haven't been dumped out of the Tournament yet have we?

No amount of bitching and whinging is going to change whats going to happen on the pitch either is it? - Just makes you sound more pathetic than my six year old.

Dont worry there are plenty of excuses all ready there for you, if we do go far.

- Netherlands couldn't beat Austria, so we should be beating them
     - Another easy draw has been given to us
    Think you need to wean yourself off the Cannabis thread….
  • We may have won the group, but did that with just 5 points. Spain got 9 points, Germany 7 and Austria 6 in winning their groups, while Portugal have 6 points already. A high chance we'll be the lowest group winners of the 6. 
  • AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:
    I know the easy thing is to blame Southgate but I'd start with the players to be honest. Southgate hasn't told them not to make quick interchanges or move into space. They've been crap last few games and Southgate isn't making Bellingham fall over and overplay, he's not making Saka and Foden run into blind alleys and he's clearly not telling Kane to drop so deep. His subs were odd and too late as usual but I'm much more annoyed at the players than I am at Southgate today, they've not been anywhere near good enough and their prickly response to criticism shows that they know it really
    Naaah, let's blame Gareth
    It is when he is that scared he is telling them not to take any risky passes on where they might lose the ball which is the only reason I can think of why players that are positive every game week in week out trying to open up teams and are now going sideways and backwards
    Whats the excuse when there is no change under the next Manager? - I mean how many years has it been since we've done anything differently?
    Somehow get Klop to take this group on and we win the next World Cup
  • The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Southgate strikes me as a dead man walking here. He is coming across as lost.

What did Southgate mean ?
  • We may have won the group, but did that with just 5 points. Spain got 9 points, Germany 7 and Austria 6 in winning their groups, while Portugal have 6 points already. A high chance we'll be the lowest group winners of the 6. 
    I remember much the same being said about Capello
  • The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Strange comment, wasn't it?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    That was fucking wank
    Headshot?
  • PWR.

I just don’t get when I watch all these players when they play for their teams and I’m left thinking, bloody hell they’re great.
    And then I watch them play in an England shirt and I’m left thinking, bloody hell are they playing in lead boots?

I just don’t get it. It can’t just be down to Southgate can it? Are they not allowed to think for themselves? Can they not see what we can all see?
  • Sponsored links:

• It amazes me that pundits are talking about Saka or Walker at left back all because we didn't bring a fit left footed, left back to the tournament. What is the point of taking Shaw, who hasn't kicked a ball in anger for over four months when you can't even bring him on for 10 minutes here and there? Yes he might be injury free but he won't be match fit, will he? 
  • Only positive is we're going to be a hard team for anyone to beat. But with the attacking players we have everything is far too static and boring basically like Southgate.

Draw has opened up though so Netherlands and Italy are winnable 
  • Off_it said:
    The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Strange comment, wasn't it?
    I took it to mean that they are aware of the stick they are getting and don’t understand why after all they top the group ! That in itself should tell you all you need to know Gareth you have no clue 

Thinks the media are too critical of the performances. 
  • Almost like they had never played together. So slow to move the ball, no space being opened up by runners. Ponderous would be how I would describe it in one word for all of the 3 matches.
  • Only positive is we're going to be a hard team for anyone to beat. But with the attacking players we have everything is far too static and boring basically like Southgate.

Draw has opened up though so Netherlands and Italy are winnable 
    It will be like a hot knife through butter when we meet a decent team. We looked shaky at the back tonight, a million miles away from hard team to beat. 
  • Gallagher didn’t work today but probably didn’t need him against a low block.
    Don’t think he’s England class but he may come in useful 
  • As I understand it if Hungary get through then we'll play Netherlands, if the third placed team in Group F qualify ahead of Hungary then we play Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia or Romania. 
  • red10 said:
    Almost like they had never played together. So slow to move the ball, no space being opened up by runners. Ponderous would be how I would describe it in one word for all of the 3 matches.

Yet in the few minutes Gordon was given he played a quick forward pass to Mainroo, Kane and the Shot by the skilful Palmer which lacked a bit of power.

The young subs liven up the game.
  • Teams with fewest xG conceded:

England 1.1
    Portugal 1.2 (played 2)
    Belgium 1.5 (played 2)
    Germany 1.8
    Ukraine 2.1 (played 2)
    Denmark 2.3
    France 2.4
    And created?
  • Sponsored links:

• Gallagher didn’t work today but probably didn’t need him against a low block.
    Don’t think he’s England class but he may come in useful 
    3 at the back might have been an option tonight against such a defensive team. I don't want Saka at LB, but at LWB he wouldn't have to defend much against a very defensive side. Walker at the right of the 3 is how he played for Southgate a few years ago. You'd only need to swap TAA for Trippier from Southgate's starting lineup to play it too.

Pickford

Walker  Guehi  Stones

TAA        Rice     Gallagher/Mainoo      Saka

Bellingham    Foden

Kane

• edited June 25
    Teams with fewest xG conceded:

England 1.1
    Portugal 1.2 (played 2)
    Belgium 1.5 (played 2)
    Germany 1.8
    Ukraine 2.1 (played 2)
    Denmark 2.3
    France 2.4
    And created?

Romania, Slovakia and Ukraine still to play their 3rd games. 
  • The positive is that we only have one more game of Southgate football.

• We’ve been given a bye to the final again if we don’t have Holland 
    the rest a proper load of shit 
  • At least we won the group thanks to Denmark only drawing yet we've been appalling. Worse than watching Charlton flounder around on one of our many bad days.

Not sure how we're going to win now it's knockout football. Where are the goals coming from?
  • Bellingham needs to sort himself out and if he doesn’t he needs to be substituted. He’s been anonymous since scoring in the first game.
    It's the manager's job to see that, and sub the right players. Baffling to sub Foden and leave Jude on.

• Let’s be honest we’ve had a major result, again,  with being in the weaker half of the tourney and good news we’re now favourites after those last two exhilarating performances 
    it’s coming home 
    I don’t know what it is though