Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Another less than inspiring post match chat.
  • edited June 25
    Stones knows he's talking shit. Not his fault, but sounds so bad trying to make out he's happy "topping the group"
  • AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:
    I know the easy thing is to blame Southgate but I'd start with the players to be honest. Southgate hasn't told them not to make quick interchanges or move into space. They've been crap last few games and Southgate isn't making Bellingham fall over and overplay, he's not making Saka and Foden run into blind alleys and he's clearly not telling Kane to drop so deep. His subs were odd and too late as usual but I'm much more annoyed at the players than I am at Southgate today, they've not been anywhere near good enough and their prickly response to criticism shows that they know it really
    Naaah, let's blame Gareth
    It is when he is that scared he is telling them not to take any risky passes on where they might lose the ball which is the only reason I can think of why players that are positive every game week in week out trying to open up teams and are now going sideways and backwards
    Whats the excuse when there is no change under the next Manager? - I mean how many years has it been since we've done anything differently?
  • How bad we've been aside, it's been an odd Euros so far for the big teams. Italy barely scraped their way to second with a 98th minute equaliser against Croatia, France have finished second in their group scoring only a penalty and an own goal, Netherlands finished third in their group with Austria winning it, Belgium are in a deadlocked group because they lost to Slovakia and Germany were celebrating a last minute equaliser against Switzerland to barely drag themselves to the top of their group. The only big teams that actually look good so far are Spain and Portugal. The fact we've actually won our group without ever being worried about that - because of everyone else constantly drawing - puts us ahead of loads of our rivals in that sense which is mad.
  • AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:
    I know the easy thing is to blame Southgate but I'd start with the players to be honest. Southgate hasn't told them not to make quick interchanges or move into space. They've been crap last few games and Southgate isn't making Bellingham fall over and overplay, he's not making Saka and Foden run into blind alleys and he's clearly not telling Kane to drop so deep. His subs were odd and too late as usual but I'm much more annoyed at the players than I am at Southgate today, they've not been anywhere near good enough and their prickly response to criticism shows that they know it really
    It is when he is that scared he is telling them not to take any risky passes on where they might lose the ball which is the only reason I can think of why players that are positive every game week in week out trying to open up teams and are now going sideways and backwards
    Whats the excuse when there is no change under the next Manager? - I mean how many years has it been since we've done anything differently?
    Do we need to lower our expectations and be joyful we scraped a group against Slovenia, Denmark and Serbia? 

Maybe if we're lucky we might even reach penalties in our next game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 25
    AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:
    Do we need to lower our expectations and be joyful we scraped a group against Slovenia, Denmark and Serbia? 

Well we haven't been dumped out of the Tournament yet have we?

No amount of bitching and whinging is going to change whats going to happen on the pitch either is it? - Just makes you sound more pathetic than my six year old.

Dont worry there are plenty of excuses all ready there for you, if we do go far.

- Netherlands couldn't beat Austria, so we should be beating them
     - Another easy draw has been given to us
  • Charlton and England 

Worst combo since…
    Could be worse, you could support Charlton & Scotland!

Was only able to watch the last half an hour, not sure why a team with this much attacking ability looks toothless. How many goals did Kane & Bellingham get between them this season? 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    That was fucking wank
    Would be great if Southgate said that...
  • PaddyP17 said:
    That was fucking wank
    You shoulda seen the football then mate
  • AndyG said:
    Gribbo said:

Well we haven't been dumped out of the Tournament yet have we?

No amount of bitching and whinging is going to change whats going to happen on the pitch either is it? - Just makes you sound more pathetic than my six year old.

Dont worry there are plenty of excuses all ready there for you, if we do go far.

- Netherlands couldn't beat Austria, so we should be beating them
     - Another easy draw has been given to us
    Watching a crap game and afterwards saying it is a crap game is what football forums are for. 

In the last two games England have been the worst performing 'favourite' of the tournament. And I've seen every game. 
    Good for you, do you want a medal? - So have I... 
  • Sponsored links:

• 8 goals scored in our last 8 games. With players available of the quality of (goals last season): Kane (41), Watkins (28), Bellingham (26), Foden (28), Palmer (28) and Saka (20)  it really is painful to see the way that we are playing. Slovenia, population 2.2m and with not one player to challenge any of that half a dozen have scored more goals in their last 8 matches.  
  • The interviewer needs to press Southgate there. What is this strange environment we are playing in?

Southgate strikes me as a dead man walking here. He is coming across as lost.
  • I've tried to be patient with Southgate. He got us to a semi-final and a final. Perhaps there is (was) method to his boring/conservative madness. You never know, maybe we'll even do a Portugal 2016 and sweat our way to winning the whole thing (lol joke England aren't that lucky).

This tournament it's just not clicking on the pitch. Palmer, Gordon and Mainoo changed the game for us. Why is it only now we're seeing them on the pitch (and why give Gordon just 5 mins)? What is he seeing on the training pitch?

If Foden starts the next game then he must have Southgate's nudes and threatened to leak them. It's the only explanation. 
  • edited June 25
    Well we went from a tight 1-0 vs Czechia three years ago, to beating Germany 2-0, so who knows what's going to happen come Sunday

You're only as good as your last game - But those who think we're guaranteed an exit after the next game, should consider the state and confidence in Charlton from many on here, seeing that the general opinion was we were all but relegated heading to Derby last season.

That's the beauty of Football
  • Biblically poor game again. I think the woki oage has already been written based on events some thousands of years ago, and lo, it was written in the scriptures:

In the biblical Book of Genesis, Kane was no longer Able and God cursed Kane, sentencing him to a life of transience. Kane then dwelt in the land of Nod (נוֹד, 'wandering'), 
  • CAFCOlly said:
    I've tried to be patient with Southgate. He got us to a semi-final and a final. Perhaps there is (was) method to his boring/conservative madness. You never know, maybe we'll even do a Portugal 2016 and sweat our way to winning the whole thing (lol joke England aren't that lucky).

This tournament it's just not clicking on the pitch. Palmer, Gordon and Mainoo changed the game for us. Why is it only now we're seeing them on the pitch (and why give Gordon just 5 mins)? What is he seeing on the training pitch?

If Foden starts the next game then he must have Southgate's nudes and threatened to leak them. It's the only explanation. 
    Perhaps Foden should start but Bellingham shouldn't.

• "England have won two of their last eight games."
  • Well we went from a tight 1-0 vs Czechia three years ago, to beating Germany 2-0, so who knows what's going to happen come Sunday

You're only as good as your last game - But those who think we're guaranteed an exit after the next game, should consider the state and confidence in Charlton heading to Derby last season.

That's the beauty of Football
    With you on this. Had the feel of a stop the rot performance and feel happier after it than I did after the first two games.

• "England have won two of their last eight games."
    How on earth will we ever win another game of football with that sort of form!!