Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Can someone explain the process of who we are likely get in the next game?  . I can’t get my head around it . 
    I know it will be Netherlands or the team that finishes third in this afternoon’s group but how is the choice between those two decided ? 
    I wouldn't worry about it too much mate, we'll no doubt lose whoever it is.
    I actually think we’ll beat the Dutch . The way they play will suit us perfectly. The likes of Romania , Slovakia and Ukraine will be just like the last three games and we’ll struggle with Southgate’s team and formation . 
    Dunno... We beat Ukraine 4-0 in the last Euros, so this squad will be under pressure to repeat that if we get a similar result.

Defending a 0-0 for 120mins doesn't necessarily get you into the next round like it did for Slovenia last night either - At some point, the opposition will need to attack.

Hope we dont face Romania, they've been a bit like Austria, and been dark horses this Tournament.
    It is all based on what the third place teams do. Basically to avoid the dutch our best chance is for the Czechs to beat Turkey altough if they do we won't play either of them.
  • Just play bellingham in the 8, foden in the 10 and gordon/palmer on the left. Every fan and pundit across the country has been screaming for it since the start of the tournament but Southgate has this weird stubbornness that will ultimately see him fail again.

We have arguably the best squad of players in the world at the moment but the sum of our parts is far less than the whole, we don't play well as a team, no coherent strategy, gameplan or style and that has to be down to the manager.
    It’s not stubbornness. It’s because Southgate and his coaches don’t think it will work (for the record I don’t think it will either - Foden and Kane cannot play together). You think he’d rather not win games to try and make a point?

He resisted playing Trent in midfield for years when everyone was calling for it because he’s so good at passing and would create so many chances...

Now he‘s tries it for a few games and surprise surprise it didn’t work. And now he’s getting pelters from people acting like they knew it wouldn’t work all along.
    He had plenty of time to trial it before a major tournament but he was obsessed with playing Henderson at every opportunity instead. 
  • Heard a stat on the US commentary last night that through two and a half games, Foden connected with Kane for only one pass throughout the tournament so far. Foden and Pickford, two passes.

It doesn’t really help when two of our main attacking threats are playing on different planets.

The two of them appear incapable of playing together for whatever reason.
  • Heard a stat on the US commentary last night that through two and a half games, Foden connected with Kane for only one pass throughout the tournament so far. Foden and Pickford, two passes.

It doesn’t really help when two of our main attacking threats are playing on different planets.

They're often trying to play in the same space and drawing opposition players to them. Doesn't help that Trippier seems terrified of running more than 5 yards with the ball though
  • edited June 26
    fenaddick said:
    Heard a stat on the US commentary last night that through two and a half games, Foden connected with Kane for only one pass throughout the tournament so far. Foden and Pickford, two passes.

They're often trying to play in the same space and drawing opposition players to them. Doesn't help that Trippier seems terrified of running more than 5 yards with the ball though
    That might explain a lower than average number but only 1 pass in almost 300 minutes? That clearly hints at something else going on IMO.
  • There is obviously something very very wrong in the England camp. You can tell from the post match interviews. Absolutely no enthusiasm from anyone. The closest thing I can relate it to would be our period under Appleton when he was coming out with how well we did getting a point against a top top team like Burton or some shit like that. The players are so obviously spouting the usual guff but no way are they happy imo. Fortunately they can turn this around as a group and it really wouldnt suprise me if they did but someone in the senior player ranks needs to take control of the situation otherwise its just another missed opportunity as Southgate isnt going to change much under his own free will
  • Thank god its only TeamTalk so not really reliable, but here come the calls for Lampard to replace Southgate

Southgate sack: BBC pundit tipped as next England manager with FA urged to axe under-fire coach (teamtalk.com)
    Lampard Rooney dream team 
  • fenaddick said:
    Heard a stat on the US commentary last night that through two and a half games, Foden connected with Kane for only one pass throughout the tournament so far. Foden and Pickford, two passes.

That might explain a lower than average number but only 1 pass in almost 300 minutes? That clearly hints at something else going on IMO.
    I agree, would be interested to see the numbers between Kane & Foden/Bellingham too. Suspect they would also be very low
  • Sponsored links:

• Can someone explain the process of who we are likely get in the next game?  . I can’t get my head around it . 
    I know it will be Netherlands or the team that finishes third in this afternoon’s group but how is the choice between those two decided ? 
    I wouldn't worry about it too much mate, we'll no doubt lose whoever it is.
    I actually think we’ll beat the Dutch . The way they play will suit us perfectly. The likes of Romania , Slovakia and Ukraine will be just like the last three games and we’ll struggle with Southgate’s team and formation . 
    The Dutch are a slow and stodgy team as well. I can see that game being a thriller, not.
  • edited June 26
    Can someone explain the process of who we are likely get in the next game?  . I can’t get my head around it . 

UEFA has a list of combinations prepared before the tournament to cover all 15 possibilities. Whether you’re the best third placed team or the fourth best third place team is irrelevant to where you end up for the knockout round - it’s the combination of four (currently ACDE but could change after today) that determines it.

The idea being to keep teams that qualified out of the same group as far apart as possible. For example, England are in the bottom quarter, Denmark are in the top quarter and Slovenia can be placed in either of the middle two quarters depending on who qualifies today.

To think of it another way, England’s quarter was set up to have teams from Groups A (Switzerland), B (Italy) and C (England) in it before the tournament started, so the third placed team for that quarter could come from D, E or F. All combinations for F to be in that quarter are off the table now so it’s D or E only.
    Thanks for that but that might as well have been in Japanese !

UEFA has a list of combinations prepared before the tournament to cover all 15 possibilities. Whether you’re the best third placed team or the fourth best third place team is irrelevant to where you end up for the knockout round - it’s the combination of four (currently ACDE but could change after today) that determines it.

The idea being to keep teams that qualified out of the same group as far apart as possible. For example, England are in the bottom quarter, Denmark are in the top quarter and Slovenia can be placed in either of the middle two quarters depending on who qualifies today.

To think of it another way, England’s quarter was set up to have teams from Groups A (Switzerland), B (Italy) and C (England) in it before the tournament started, so the third placed team for that quarter could come from D, E or F. All combinations for F to be in that quarter are off the table now so it’s D or E only.
    Thanks for that but that might as well have in Japanese !

Likewise - I'm just going to wait until the nice man on the telly tells me who we are playing on Sunday.
  • What the should probably do IMO, is have a draw for all the upcoming games. It would add a bit of suspense and excitement and if they want to keep the best teams apart they could base it on seedings as they did in the initial draw.

…really? What’s complicated about it?

…really? What’s complicated about it?
    Just the bit that starts with UEFA and ends with Only. Don't worry it's me not you. Reading that is like trying to understand Algebra and i never could get Algebra. 
  • edited June 26

Not only has Foden barely given Kane the ball, he's norsed up about 50% of what could have been Kane chances by ineptly getting in the way, usually dawdling about in the middle half a beat behind the pace(!) of the game
    Foden took it to a whole new level last night by repeatedly getting in Bellingham's way too on the few occasions even he ventured forward
    PF looks to be seeking out some wonder pass or showstopping contribution when all that is required is some positive football and movement into space
    Maybe PF is flat out knackered
    If he ain't then I'd be doubting how many fcuks he gives about this tournament
    Either way he wouldn't be starting the next game were I picking the side - Only withering cowardice is preventing Southgate from following suit, he just ain't got the plums to leave out the big names irrespective of dismal form and he lives in sleepless terror of the tabloid cacophony that could result.
    Talent and potential are worth naff all without application but that carries no weight with GS 

Word from the team hotel is that bandage around his right hand is to stop him braining himself - his right middle finger is usually to be found jammed up his hooter, obsessively rooting out whatever lurks therein, the physio is terrified PF will get the ball bang into his kisser with digit in situ resulting in a potentially messy auto-lobotomy incident.  Beyond a distressing amount of claret thus released it ain't clear how much damage would actually be sustained to the Foden capacity!

Sunday's fixture at best will provide two hours extra shuteye after a few hot sleep deprived nights.

UPDATE: Foden's gone home for the birth of his 3rd sprog.  GS trembling hand might get forced after all...
  • edited June 26
    Foden is the Premier League player of the year. If I was going to play him, and I most probably would, I would try to play him as close to the position where he won that award playing. Seeing as Bellingham is perfectly comfortable playing in the central midfield opposed to as a number 10, it would be different if he wasn't, but seeing as he is, it seems a simple issue to sort out in itself. To be fair to Southgate, he may have thought Foden could be effective there but surely now he has seen that he isn't so no need to be stubbon about it or indeed drop the lad.
  • Billy_Mix said:

Not only has Foden barely given Kane the ball, he's norsed up about 50% of what could have been Kane chances by ineptly getting in the way, usually dawdling about in the middle half a beat behind the pace(!) of the game
    Foden took it to a whole new level last night by repeatedly getting in Bellingham's way too on the few occasions even he ventured forward
    PF looks to be seeking out some wonder pass or showstopping contribution when all that is required is some positive football and movement into space
    Either way he wouldn't be starting the next game were I picking the side - Only withering cowardice is preventing Southgate from following suit, he just ain't got the plums to leave out the big names irrespective of dismal form and he lives in sleepless terror of the tabloid cacophony that could result.
    Talent and potential are worth naff all without application but that carries no weight with GS 

Word from the team hotel is that bandage around his right hand is to stop him braining himself - his right middle finger is usually to be found jammed up his hooter, obsessively rooting out whatever lurks therein, the physio is terrified PF will get the ball bang into his kisser with digit in situ resulting in a potentially messy auto-lobotomy incident.  Beyond a distressing amount of claret thus released it ain't clear how much damage would actually be sustained to the Foden capacity!

Sunday's fixture at best will provide two hours extra shuteye after a few hot sleep deprived nights.

UPDATE: Foden's gone home for the birth of his 3rd sprog.  GS trembling hand might get forced after all...
    I’d like to like and lol that at the same time. 
  • edited June 26
    Billy_Mix said:

also some pundits saying that Foden is getting in Bellingham's way as well .. perhaps too many 'superstars' spoiling the broth ? .. for my part I'd drop both Foden and Saka from the starting Xl and play the side that (nearly) finished the game, Mainoo (terrific cameo performance), Palmer and Gordon 

England just must move the ball quicker from defence, Stones hanging on to the ball and looking totally lost for someone to pass to, is a liability, just give it to the midfielders a s a p f f s, excuse the mixed acronyms
  • Sponsored links:

• Foden has totally outplayed Bellingham 
  • Foden is the Premier League player of the year. If I was going to play him, and I most probably would, I would try to play him as close to the position where he won that award playing. Seeing as Bellingham is perfectly comfortable playing in the central midfield opposed to as a number 10, it would be different if he wasn't, but seeing as he is, it seems a simple issue to sort out in itself. To be fair to Southgate, he may have thought Foden could be effective there but surely now he has seen that he isn't so no need to be stubbon about it or indeed drop the lad.
    You would move the La Liga player of the year into a position he didn’t play the entire season?
  • Radical to the point it won’t happen but would love to see this 3-4-3

Foden Bellingham Palmer
    Saka Rice Wharton Trent A-A
    Guehi Stones Walker

• edited June 26
    Why You Finally Saw The REAL England Against Slovenia (For About 2 Minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5o1KNOy4y0
  • Foden is the Premier League player of the year. If I was going to play him, and I most probably would, I would try to play him as close to the position where he won that award playing. Seeing as Bellingham is perfectly comfortable playing in the central midfield opposed to as a number 10, it would be different if he wasn't, but seeing as he is, it seems a simple issue to sort out in itself. To be fair to Southgate, he may have thought Foden could be effective there but surely now he has seen that he isn't so no need to be stubbon about it or indeed drop the lad.
    You would move the La Liga player of the year into a position he didn’t play the entire season?
    Yes, because we know he can play central midfield and be effective there. We are seeing that Foden can't play on the left.
    I was of this view until a few weeks before the tournament but changed my mind for a couple of reasons.

- Bellingham 2nd half of the season wasn't the goal threat he was in the first half
    - CM is such a problem position for us he is probably the only way we can solve it
    - those ITK at Real and apparently Jude himself see his future in a deeper role controlling games. And looking at the signings they've made for next season it suggests that's exactly where he will be playing.