Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Slovenia EURO 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Despite how useless we've been I'm still excited for tonight - hopefully something can just click.
  • England will to win and top the group comfortably but still have to deal with a load of frothing and whining about their performance / tactics.
  • England 2-1 after a difficult game as the Slovenians are no mugs despite being from a beautiful mountainous country
    We usually struggle against beautiful mountainous countries.
  • Need to look good in this game to give us some hope that we can defeat better opposition. 

Outside of the opening 40 minutes of the first game we've looked awful. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    England 2-1 after a difficult game as the Slovenians are no mugs despite being from a beautiful mountainous country
    We usually struggle against countries.

• CAFCTrev said:
    England 2-1 after a difficult game as the Slovenians are no mugs despite being from a beautiful mountainous country
    We usually struggle against beautiful mountainous countries.

And the odd team with a small population and erupting Volcanos
  • edited June 25
    Should be a midfield 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden
    Drop Kane, start Watkins
    Move TAA to RB and have either Walker or Gomez LB if Shaw isn't fit enough
    Drop Kane! 64 England Goals…36 goals last season a career average of better than 1 in 2 and we should drop him.  Brilliant 
  • Unchanged team apart from Gallagher starting ahead of Alexander-Arnold.
  • Early own goal, naby care playoff style, puts England in lead on 5 mins. Nervy backs to the wall for 85 mins before Slovenia equalise in added time. Bellingham stretchered off on the hour and replaced with Carlton Palmer
    Southgate just trying to play the team into form rather than making tactical changes. 

We'll see how it goes. 
  • Sponsored links:

Southgate just trying to play the team into form rather than making tactical changes. 

We'll see how it goes. 
    Yeah I thought the same
    Genuinely have no idea how Southgate looks at the problems in our side in the first 2 games and thinks 'yep that's the change we need to solve them'. 
  • I like Gallagher but I'm not convinced I trust him to not get a couple of stupid bookings
  • Personally I just don't think Gallagher is good enough for International football. But if we don't have anyone else then I guess we're stuck. 
  • Nothing against Conor, but left hand side is the issue. I would have started with Gordon on the left.

• Southgate shows faith in his underperformers, time for them to repay that faith
  • edited June 25
    Urghhh... Dunno whats worse, being on ITV in general, or having to listen to Gabriel Clarke's statement questions during interviews!!

Have to admit that the likes of Declan Rice sound fed up, with hearing the rubbish from pundits, hope they use that as fuel now
  • Urghhh... Dunno whats worse, being on ITV in general, or having to listen to Gabriel Clarke's statement questions during interviews!!

Have to admit that the likes of Declan Rice sound fed up, with hearing the rubbish from pundits, hope they use that as fuel now
    and Ally (I'm Scootish) McC
  • Personally I just don't think Gallagher is good enough for International football. But if we don't have anyone else then I guess we're stuck. 
    That's the issue, we have plenty of other options. In fact i'd argue playing Gallagher would be the 4th best option we have there.

1. Move Bellingham back, Foden inside, Gordon on the left.
    2. Play Mainoo there
    3. Play Wharton there.
  • edited June 25
    Its not like Gallagher hasnt been one of the best players for Chelsea this season though, regardless of how poor they've been... He's not there based off his Palace or West Brom days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure it is the change that is needed (or certainly not the only one) to improve England's Euro performance, but I will always have a huge soft spot for Connor Gallagher after that wonderful half season with us, even forgiving that he later player for "that lot". I'm very pleased to see him starting for England at a major tournament. Hopefully we get to see Joe and/or Ezri at somepoint too.
  • edited June 25
    Personally I just don't think Gallagher is good enough for International football. But if we don't have anyone else then I guess we're stuck. 

Mainroo, Eze, Palmer, Gordon, Walton are just some of the squad who could come into the midfield. Plus Shaw is by far our best attacking Left back but still not considered fit to start.

Don't understand your point unless you are being ironic ?
  • Well, we’ve already seen one defensively minded British manager rigidly sticking to his guns this past few days. Looks like Gareth is following suit. He’s got a helluva better deck of cards than Clarke had though so the failure will be been worse in my book if it happens.  It probably won’t. 
  • edited June 25
    Who the actual fuck is that female pundit on ITV now?

Don't need a microphone does she?
  • edited June 25
    Personally I just don't think Gallagher is good enough for International football. But if we don't have anyone else then I guess we're stuck. 

Mainroo, Eze, Palmer, Gordon, Walton are just some of the squad who could come into the midfield. Plus Shaw is by far our best attacking Left back but still not considered fit to start.

Don't understand your point unless you are being ironic ?
    Mainoo and Wharton are the only ones that can play in Gallagher's position. 

I was speaking purely on the CM role alongside Rice and we have 3 poor options. Mainoo was first choice and played poorly in the friendly. Gallagher is next up after playing a RB there so that tells you how much Gareth rates Gallagher and Wharton. 
  • Who the actual fuck is that female pundit on ITV now?

Don't need a microphone doee she?
    On the pitch? Karen Cairney
    That's the issue, we have plenty of other options. In fact i'd argue playing Gallagher would be the 4th best option we have there.

2. Play Mainoo there
    3. Play Wharton there.
    We tried Mainoo and lost to Iceland. 
  • It'll either click and we will get a comfortable win and the narrative will change. Or it'll be nervy and we will scrape a draw and the fans will turn toxic 

2. Play Mainoo there
    3. Play Wharton there.
    We tried Mainoo and lost to Iceland. 

WTF 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Who the actual fuck is that female pundit on ITV now?

Don't need a microphone does she?
    🤣 My mrs said the same