Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Thought this deserved own thread as people have given up looking at takeover thread. Not sure how accurate but at least its information.
Thoughts??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530174/Charlton-agree-takeover-Belgian-millionaire-Roland-Duchatelet.html

Comments

• Reads as though it's done
  • edited December 2013
    Sounds like good news reading that article , if nothing else the Lib club might get a spruce up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Duchatelet
  • Not sure I like the sound of this bit though.... "He paid around £35m to buy Standard Liege in 2011. But fans were furious with his policy of selling the club’s best players leading to pitch invasions and demonstrations in the streets of Liege."
  • Perhaps not the most glamorous nor the richest (18th richest in Belgium), but he has been involved with football for a long time and at least we would know who actually owns us - if true, of course.
  • Not sure I like the sound of this bit though.... "He paid around £35m to buy Standard Liege in 2011. But fans were furious with his policy of selling the club’s best players leading to pitch invasions and demonstrations in the streets of Liege."

Standard won 5-1 away tonight and are 4 points clear at the top in Belgium so he must be doing something right.

Standard won 5-1 away tonight and are 4 points clear at the top in Belgium so he must be doing something right.
    Fair point
  • I just hope our management team stays intact if this does go through. I see that he was quick to bring in someone new at Standard Liege.
  • Arsenal are also rumoured to be interested in one of Standards strikers for £6m, may as well loan him to us for 6 months to see if he can cope with English football ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

Maybe liege needed a complete change like we did in league 1 and it's obviously worked for them. Plus we don't really have many best players that other teams will be falling over for and if we're honest quite a few players will need to change if the ambition is to move forward.

I'm more worried about his manager intentions.

• Wow, only 14mil. TJ will have to hire a mini to transport his profits.
  • I wonder which Belgium players we will be getting on loan in January.
  • Yeah would be outraged if we started selling our best players, past owners would do no such thing.

In all seriousness though, thank god if this is finally over. Sounds like Liege have been run well if they are topping the league and hopefully some loan deals from the country with currently some of the best youth in Europe.
  • Uh oh... two threads
  • Because the new owner sold all the high wage people at Liege is no reason to panic, They was in lots of dept and wasn't doing fab in the league, the next season new managers new players and they are now TOP

Liege had a bigger dept then we do as well, No need to panic
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

Just waiting for Len's views on us now being run from Brussels!! ;-)

That's nothing, wait until GoonerHater finds out we've been bought by a liberal!

Then wait till Clegg comes out onto the pitch at half time to do some PR penalty shoot out thing against Bob Bolder!

• As long as he doesn't want to nick our best players for Standard Liege's assault on the Champions League...
  • A few Standard Liege loans in Jan then.

• On balance, if this is true then it is probably good news. The Belgians from Flanders are not gobshites or bullshitters when it comes to business. Coming from the EU will also make it less likely that there is "funny money" involved.
  • A financially secure owner, with good footballing experience coming in just before a transfer window? Way too good to be true, burying head in sand for the next 2 weeks until this is done.
  • edited December 2013
    It's destiny. I've always liked Tintin & went to Bruges a few years ago :-)

Having said that, the last time I got really excited over Charlton Xmas news, was the appointment of Pardew :-(
  • A few Standard Liege loans in Jan then.

I'd happily take that. Look at the talent Belgium is producing currently.
  • Id say the best up and coming players in the world are belgians so hopefully there is some undiscovered loan talent we can get in
  • On balance, if this is true then it is probably good news. The Belgians from Flanders are not gobshites or bullshitters when it comes to business. Coming from the EU will also make it less likely that there is "funny money" involved.

This. For such a small country they sure know how to operate in the business world.

Another good thing is it seems he is a football man, so no silly rebrandings & I guess the chances of relocating The Valley has probably receded - this could be all about what happens on the pitch.
  • Interesting news, but I'll reserve judgement until we learn a little more about their plans for their club.