Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Church

really glad to see his work rate being rewarded with goals.
Is he worth a new contract?

Comments

• New contract: Heart says one more year, but Head says no. Find a decent Championship/League one club and start afresh.

If Church had missed that sitter from Eagles he would have been crucified by the home crowd.
  • shirty5 said:

New contract: Heart says one more year, but Head says no. Find a decent Championship/League one club and start afresh.

If Church had missed that sitter from Eagles he would have been crucified by the home crowd.

You're right. But on watt I saw today, I'd give Church a new deal rather than Eagles.
  • edited March 2015
    If Watt or Igor were injured for a couple of months would you be just as confident of winning games if Church started every game?

Has done well recently but it's still a no for me. There are plenty of players out there, more so with the network scouting watching players across Europe.
  • Piss off Eagles is a very very good player, missed a good chance but played well.Don't forget Church missed a good chance from Buyens pull back.
  • Church is playing better under Luzon than he did under Powell, Riga and Peeters
    maybe Luzon is the guy to get the best out of old Churchinio
  • Depends what we do in the summer, if we only sign one more striker then yeah keep him but if we bring in two there's probably not a place for him here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Like lots of people have said it all depends on who we bring in over the summer. Church with the right service is a decent option from the bench to hassle a tiring defence but will never be prolific. Watching pogrebnyak lead the line for reading today we could do with a target man like that to compliment our forward options.
  • Talal said:

Depends what we do in the summer, if we only sign one more striker then yeah keep him but if we bring in two there's probably not a place for him here.

Unless those strikers happen to be two Tucudeans
  • Eagles is the best signing we have made in years. Give him time

Better than Watt, Vetokele, Thuram and Gudmundsson?
  • Really pleased he's doing well. He's finding form just at the right time to earn a new contract in the unforgiving world of a pro footballer.

I doubt it will be at Charlton but he'd be a useful player for a newly promoted side or a League One title challenger.
  • Talal said:

Depends what we do in the summer, if we only sign one more striker then yeah keep him but if we bring in two there's probably not a place for him here.

Unless those strikers happen to be two Tucudeans
    The other Tucudean might be better than George, ala Darren to Marcus Bent...
  • Stick with him for another year. He is a different player with Tony Watt next to him and Luzon getting the best out of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

No. Two good games don't make up for 30-40+ awful ones. He won't progress us, we're better off allowing Karlan Ahearne Grant to come into the squad as a back up if need be.

I think that Church playing in the team we had earlier in this season and last was ineffective because he's not ever going to lead the line or hold the ball up. Just look at the dip in form Igor suffered when asked to play a role he's not cut out for. Now Church can be effective from the bench because the players around him allow him to do what he is good at which is channel running and pulling players out of position. You have to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

The bigger picture involves Charlton trying to challenge for the Playoffs next season and win promotion, I'd like to think.

Simon Church, for all the will in the world, simply won't contribute enough for that in my opinion.
  • edited March 2015
    Forwards need to offer an outlet and that's where Church comes up short for me. He tries hard, but as it showed once Watt came off, we struggled to keep the ball up their end of the pitch, even though they had 10 men.
  • Simon Churchinho will be gone come the end of the season, no question about that, what's the point of keeping a player that rarely plays, as much as I admire his spirit and work-rate he surely needs game time and there will be a few clubs coming in for him at the end of the season when his contract runs out, I wish him the best though and I'll give him a clap if he returns to The Valley in any colour shirt except a certain navy blue.
  • Under Powell we could have had Ibra upfront and we wouldn't had scored. Our team was so rigid, there was no creativity, and therefore church was never going to get chances.
  • I'd give him another year, thought personally that eagles has looked shit. Too busy worrying about his tan
  • I'm your greatest fan,
    I'll follow you around the country,
    Super, Super Churchy
  • The thing with Churchy is he did have that one pretty prolific season at Reading - was it 17 goals or something. It's only one season and it was a while ago but it shows it's in him - the way he took his goal vs Blackpool was a quality finish.

Sounds like we need someone to compete/cover Watt, i.e. Someone else who can at least hold it up if not run at players like Watt can, but as a fourth choice striker we can probably do worse than Churchy. I'm sure he'd score a few in a team which has creativity and is looking to score - he hasn't scored lots for us but the goals he's got have often been good finishes - and his recent form is hinting at that.
  • He has got a couple of goals of late, which He has deserved and I for one am pleased for him. He gets a lot of stick, and I'm the first to admit I'm a culprit.

But a new contract?? Please. The best thing for all concerned is just to let him go.
  • I would give him another year. Sign another striker too, who is very quick, like danny Haynes. But he hasn't had a load of chances.