Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• What a great morning! How many people won't have woken up yet and missed all this!

Bloody England, I'd been looking forward to listening to England's victory, and missed it!

Cook out etc
  • I've watched the whole game at various moments.

Very impressive & really pleased for the team & Cook.

Something's going well at the moment.
  • No Belgiums
  • Belgians ? Pedant alert.
  • Good performance by England - they seem to have got the lead-in to the first test spot on - however, lets not get carried away, ok SA are the No 1 Ranked team - but they are a team in disarray with the recent abysmal performances in India and the recent retirement of 3/4 outstanding players - the loss of Kallis was a huge blow - losing someone who would get into every Test team on his batting AND/OR bowling is a huge one.
    Anyway, Jimmy back in 2nd Test for Woakes makes us stronger, and if only we could find an opener with a 45+ average, a leg-spinner who doesnt bowl 2 long-hops an over,and a left-arm quick, then we are not far away from being a very good side. I can see the leg-spinner problem being solved in a few years by Mason Crane, and possible the left-armer by Sam Curran, but cant see an opener coming through- although isnt there some kid from Essex who is pulling up trees ?
  • 2nd test has started in Cape Town
    England win toss and bat.
    Jimmy in for us, Rabada,De Kock and Morris in for SA
  • Good performance by England - they seem to have got the lead-in to the first test spot on - however, lets not get carried away, ok SA are the No 1 Ranked team - but they are a team in disarray with the recent abysmal performances in India and the recent retirement of 3/4 outstanding players - the loss of Kallis was a huge blow - losing someone who would get into every Test team on his batting AND/OR bowling is a huge one.
    Anyway, Jimmy back in 2nd Test for Woakes makes us stronger, and if only we could find an opener with a 45+ average, a leg-spinner who doesnt bowl 2 long-hops an over,and a left-arm quick, then we are not far away from being a very good side. I can see the leg-spinner problem being solved in a few years by Mason Crane, and possible the left-armer by Sam Curran, but cant see an opener coming through- although isnt there some kid from Essex who is pulling up trees ?

You mean Browne? He scored 1000+ runs last season... He's meant to be decent so I expect he'll be off soon (like topley... Could he be the left armer? Not the quickest but can swing it)
  • edited January 2016
    Nah, not Browne - i've seen him bat, the one i was thinking of was Lawrence - didnt he break some records for Essex last season? - still only 18 years old.

England ticking along nicely 55-0 off 15. No real dramas (yet!).
    Its almost like a home game for England with the majority of the crowd from Blighty - although the weather sort of gives it away.
    Yeah, Topley could be the one for left armer, but , as you say, prob not quick enough, whereas Curran can shift it (even at 17). Overton could be the other quick that we are looking for.
  • Should have kept my Mouth shut - Cook out caught in slips - great catch.
    55-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Outstanding catch
  • Looks like South Africa have their own Chris Jordan. Can't really bowl to Test level but can bat and can certainly field
  • Oh yeah Lawrence. Started well but faded. But certainly got the talent, so with a bit of experience could easily play for England
  • McBobbin said:

Oh yeah Lawrence. Started well but faded. But certainly got the talent, so with a bit of experience could easily play for England

I saw him play for England under 19's v Australia last season - and he scored a ton, so cant be bad.
  • Rabada has impressed me - can see him bowling express once he's got a bit bigger.
  • Whilst Compton was up there as mom last game it would be nice if he hit it occasionally
  • England 317-5: Stokes 74*, Hales 60, Root 50; Rabada 3-74
  • A very bad final session for SA by the look of things, Amla really let things drift badly and Stokes took full advantage!
  • A very bad final session for SA by the look of things, Amla really let things drift badly and Stokes took full advantage!

Cant understand some of his decisions - especially surrounding not giving Morkel the ball for first over after tea then the new ball.
    Lets hope Stokes can blow them away tomorrow morning and we can be hopefully looking at 500 by tea and then get them in.
  • Sponsored links:

• England could not be playing SA at a better time, not only is their batting a shambles but they have lost three of their top four quick bowlers - with Steyn and Philander probably out for the series.

Need to grind them into the dust tomorrow and look for 450+.
  • England could not be playing SA at a better time, not only is their batting a shambles but they have lost three of their top four quick bowlers - with Steyn and Philander probably out for the series.

Plus the loss of Kallis/Smith/Boucher - could not be a better time to play them.

Plus the loss of Kallis/Smith/Boucher - could not be a better time to play them.
    Losing Kallis was particularly cruel - meant that their remaining inexperienced bowlers were under even more pressure.

Losing Kallis was particularly cruel - meant that their remaining inexperienced bowlers were under even more pressure.
    Cruel? He's 40 years old, Father Time catches up with all of us in the end.
  • England will wear black armbands today in memory of Sussex fast bowler Mathew Hobden who, the County announced last night, has died at the age of 22.

RIP Young Man
  • Stokes gets his ton.

352-5
  • edited January 2016
    Stokes is smashing them around. 162* from 142 balls.
  • 100 in a session! Brilliant.
  • Overslept - missed the first half hour - Stokes had gone from mid seventies to 120+
  • 200 up for Stokes.