Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Popped into a village 'coffee and cake' morning up the road. Most folk there were 70-90yrs old. Lovely lady asked if I wanted cake and I said no, so as not to have the vegan discussion. Then my eye spotted a label 'vegan' on a chocolate cake. Oh, a vegan cake - yes please. The elderly lady was also a vegan and shouted to her friend - also a vegan - to bring the vegan coffee and walnut cake over. Bloody hell. Then they pointed to a man in his 90s, Jack, who is also a vegan! This really was a lesson in stereotypes and assumptions. It felt like the vegan version of 'the only gay in the village'.
    They sound like a swingers club using the vegan angle to gain more members if you ask me ;)

• Its only a small sample of 160,000 people, but....

A vegetarian or vegan diet may be increasing the likelihood of depression a US-based study has found. 

People with a plant-based diet were twice as likely to take prescription drugs for mental illness and nearly three times as likely to contemplate suicide.  

The report, which looked at more than 160,000 people, also found that a shocking one in three vegetarians suffer from depression or anxiety.

• MrWalker said:
    Its only a small sample of 160,000 people, but....

A vegetarian or vegan diet may be increasing the likelihood of depression a US-based study has found. 

People with a plant-based diet were twice as likely to take prescription drugs for mental illness and nearly three times as likely to contemplate suicide.  

The report, which looked at more than 160,000 people, also found that a shocking one in three vegetarians suffer from depression or anxiety.

I only know a few adult vegans and they all suffer from depression, although I'm not sure whether the depression or being a vegan came first.
  • I believe it is true to say that every nutrient necessary for life and growth, the vitamins and b numbers and so on, can be got from a plant based diet. It may be easier to assimilate that stuff more rapidly from meat than from soya for example, but it doesn't seem like it is about available nutrients that may be the cause of depression (is the study credible?). Carnivores can get depression too.
    Perhaps there is some kind of psychological interface going on when being a person that avoids animal products, something that is associated with the decision rather than the diet.
  • edited April 2020
    seth plum said:
    I believe it is true to say that every nutrient necessary for life and growth, the vitamins and b numbers and so on, can be got from a plant based diet. It may be easier to assimilate that stuff more rapidly from meat than from soya for example, but it doesn't seem like it is about available nutrients that may be the cause of depression (is the study credible?). Carnivores can get depression too.
    Perhaps there is some kind of psychological interface going on when being a person that avoids animal products, something that is associated with the decision rather than the diet.
    carnivores often get depressed listening to vegans 😉
  • amongst many sh*te school playground jokes and one liners my kids tell me when I pick them up was this gem on Friday:-

If we aren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of food.

Made me chuckle anyway...
  • Looking forward to January given the Mrs is 90% on board this time round. She won't give up dairy.

Hoping we can continue it after for a few months this time to see how we get on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why don’t you both just do it now rather than wait to January 
  • It's weird I rarely say what I've eaten to people.

I might mention where. 
  • Quite simply @Arsenetatters some people are just dickheads. 
  • Quite simply @Arsenetatters some people are just dickheads. 
    Thank you - I was getting really wound up thinking about this and your comment made me smile 😃 
  • Should have cooked up your colleague. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Should have cooked up your colleague. 

Maybe but rancid bitterness doesn’t taste as good a nice bean chilli.
  • Anyone that feels the need to tell everyone else of their diet is a weirdo. You don’t tell people when you shit or have a wash, why do I care what you eat.
  • Unfortunately, some people think they're 'Banter Kings' when it comes to shit like this, and that taking the piss out of someone's diet is hilarious.

In reality, they're just as irritating as people who proselytise about being vegan. Shut up, mind your own fucking business and move on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was at the Physio today and of course there were a lot of anatomical charts on the walls. Which in turn looked like the slabs of meat you would see hanging in Butchers shop windows, had they been there, they wouldn’t have looked out of place.

A neighbour was ill recently and I would sometimes do her shopping and it was always horrible having to pick up uncooked meat for her, it really did look disgusting. I think when I ate meat and fish myself, even though I knew it to be an animal, I think I felt somehow removed but now that I don’t, I find it hard to understand how anyone could eat meat or fish, seems totally barbaric!
  • Here’s a thought, how about we start farming humans for consumption?

You’d still be killing a sentient being so it’s a no from me. I accept that a lot of humans are dumber than a blue bottle stuck behind a window but even so.....

You’d still be killing a sentient being so it’s a no from me. I accept that a lot of humans are dumber than a blue bottle stuck behind a window but even so.....
    It wasn’t a serious thought, just based on how comfortable humans are at farming animals for our consumption, wondering how they’d feel if it was the other way round.

The great debate, the incredible ingenuity of humans and how dumb they are at the same time.
  • edited October 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Here’s a thought, how about  we start farming humans for consumption?
    Here’s a thought. Why don’t we let people eat what they want without judgement. 
    Because by eating animals you’re killing a sentient being, when there’s no need.

The fact that most humans don’t actually kill the animals themselves, they leave it to others, means they can absolve themselves from the guilt of their barbaric action.

It wasn’t a serious thought, just based on how comfortable humans are at farming animals for our consumption, wondering how they’d feel if it was the other way round.

The great debate, the incredible ingenuity of humans and how dumb they are at the same time.
    I honestly don’t have any feelings towards a random cow I’ve never met until it’s sitting on my plate. I’m completely comfortable with that. What’s it’s got to do with anyone else I don’t really know or care.