Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

edited February 2021 in General Charlton
What a miserable afternoon. Another poor result at home. We got off to a terrible start. We recovered, but mistakes at the back were punished. We fell to three moments of individual brilliance.

We worked ourselves back to 2-2 and looked the better footballing side for most of it, but we were never able to capitalise. Then the wheels fell off again and again. I don’t know.

In the second half the referee had a nightmare. Two swift yellow cards for Aneke saw him off and then a series of even stranger calls, including bookings for Deji (for simulation: who never appealed for a penalty after slipping and immediately regaining his footing to continue) and Bowyer (for dissent: after all the early outbursts from Gillingham’s manager) and giving a throw in for a clear corner.

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    No fucking bottle in this team Didn’t fancy it against a physical niggly team
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    2021 at home: LLDDL (2pts from 5)

2021 away: WWLWL (9pts from 5)

If that doesn’t tell you that the problem lies with playing in an empty home stadium, nothing will.

Absolutely nothing wrong with our away form but for some reason it’s all going to pot at home.
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
  • Options
    We can kiss goodbye to any hope of play-offs this season. Gutless performance again. We are our own worse enemy, not closing down quick enough and too many passengers. We can't keep saying oh but we hit the post or whatever I'm sick of it.
    Ref was a tosser as well. I'm fuming.

Big rethink needed again this summer. It's getting boring now.
  • Options
    Safe to say that's the play-offs gone now, icing on the cake for that game will be to find out how long JFC is out for
  • Options
    10 games in 2021 and 18 goals conceded. 

No win in the last 6 games at home. 

10th in the PPG table. 

New defensive coach needed. 
  • Options
    We are a mid-table team with bowyer i am afraid, not sure what we are without him mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I posted this at 9.12am. It felt like you were only a real fan if you wanted the game to go ahead, all set for our almighty end of season run.

I'd like the game to go ahead but not if an injury prone squad is likely to pick up more injuries!

We also don't have a fixture pile up so am not overly concerned with it moving to the right when we are going to steamroll every single team to finish 1st/2nd.
  • Options
    Steve Evans is a fat fucking pig.

No fight from the team. Bowyer just can't get the best out of them atm.

Fed up of sub standard performances. 
  • Options

Shambolic again. Said on here a couple of weeks ago that we should’ve gone out and signed a defender on the 1st January. It’s simply unbelievable that we’re now into the middle of February, still leaking goals, still making basic defensive mistakes and still dropping points to shit teams. This defensive problem should've been sorted weeks ago!!

I’m not buying the rationale from Bowyer that there was no one out there better than what we have. You can’t tell me there isn’t a single young defender in a premier league reserve side better than the jokers we’ve got.

Sandgaard said recently we have one of the best attacks in league one. Well that’s not much use if we have one of the worst defences.

• Options
    We did NOT fall to 3 moments of individual brilliance - defeat brought on ourselves by poor defending
  • Options
    Terrible result against a poor side. 
  • Options

Poor performance, thought Gillingham were one of the worst sides I’ve seen us play but we still didn’t deserve anything out of it.

Some of the defending is atrocious. What on earth is Purrington doing for their winner. Oshilaja and Pearce were bullied all game by Akinde. 

Can't see us getting play offs this year. Bowyer really needs to sort this defence out over Summer.

• Options
    Why don’t we seem to be able to score a goal like their winner. Terrible defending but he hit it really well.
    We just don’t do it.

Still slow and ponderous even with 11 on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not sure I can take any more of this Lee Bowyer team and tactics, it’s frustrating and too stressful 
  • Options
    Hard to find any positives from that shambles of a performance
  • Options
    Want Bowyer to stay but he needs to start owning the continuing defensive shambles. 
    Don’t blame the ref or the worldie goals against. 
    It’s Gillingham at home not Man City, we should be winning these games. 
  • Options
    It’s okay we will go on a run soon......

Absolute shit we are.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It is an embarrassment to be losing at home to pub team Gillingham who according to my Gills mate were missing their best player. 

We are utterly mediocre and anyone thinking we are anywhere near play off material needs to get their head checked. 

We need a new a manager for next season before we become stuck in this pub league Division year after year. 
  • Options
    With 11 men we win that today

Running out of games now 

This squad should be walking this league

Hey ho

Never dull supporting Charlton 
  • Options
    Not even angry anymore nowadays, just expected. 

We are shite to be fair, 3 or 4 good players carrying a team of shit.

Chucks had to come off before the first yellow and hand on heart said he'd get a second yellow. Bad management. 

Dead balls - Shit

Bowyer does need time though