Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• se9addick said:
    In volleyball, why does one player wear a different colour top to the rest of the team?
    https://getthepancake.com/drills-and-tips/what-does-a-libero-do-in-volleyball
    Cheers!
  • Why aren’t the men wearing headgear in boxing, but the women are?
    I was puzzled by that too, as previously they definitely wore headgear, e.g. Joshua in 2012

• When I was in Dublin I noticed there were no decent sized boats on the Liffey, then I noticed all the bridges were extremely low, low enough to prevent any kind of commercial activity.  In fact if you wanted to go down the river you'd have to go by canoe or kayak.  If this is the same all over Ireland?  :| If so it might explain where all these rowers are coming from.  
    Similar in Cork city at least. Port of cork is currently at the east end of the city, though its being relocated to Ringaskiddy outside the city = in the next few years as that area is being redeveloped into housing/offices etc.
    There are a handful of rowing clubs and one Kayak club that I'm aware of in the city. We also have the Ocean to City race each year which is a different form, using traditional Currachs on the open sea. The oars are not quite as aero(hydro?)dynamic as the river rowers use.
    I don't think the Olympic rowers train in the cities though. Skibereen is a small town, and the river Ilen wouldn't be great for any kind of commercial use, its a very short river and Skibb is probably the largest town it passes through.
    There is also the National Rowing Center just outside Cork city, built behind a Damon the Lee which flows into the city, which may have some influence on how so many of the rowers are from Cork. As far as I can tell it was opened in 2007, and all of Irelands rowing success in the Worlds/Olympics has come since 2016. Paul and Gary would have been 13/14 when it opened so very likely to have been a factor.
    I was puzzled by that too, as previously they definitely wore headgear, e.g. Joshua in 2012

It was a rule change brought in before the last Olympics, at the same time as the rules were changed to allow professionals to compete.
  • el-pietro said:
    When I was in Dublin I noticed there were no decent sized boats on the Liffey, then I noticed all the bridges were extremely low, low enough to prevent any kind of commercial activity.  In fact if you wanted to go down the river you'd have to go by canoe or kayak.  If this is the same all over Ireland?  :| If so it might explain where all these rowers are coming from.  
    Similar in Cork city at least. Port of cork is currently at the east end of the city, though its being relocated to Ringaskiddy outside the city = in the next few years as that area is being redeveloped into housing/offices etc.
    There are a handful of rowing clubs and one Kayak club that I'm aware of in the city. We also have the Ocean to City race each year which is a different form, using traditional Currachs on the open sea. The oars are not quite as aero(hydro?)dynamic as the river rowers use.
    I don't think the Olympic rowers train in the cities though. Skibereen is a small town, and the river Ilen wouldn't be great for any kind of commercial use, its a very short river and Skibb is probably the largest town it passes through.
    There is also the National Rowing Center just outside Cork city, built behind a Damon the Lee which flows into the city, which may have some influence on how so many of the rowers are from Cork. As far as I can tell it was opened in 2007, and all of Irelands rowing success in the Worlds/Olympics has come since 2016. Paul and Gary would have been 13/14 when it opened so very likely to have been a factor.
    There are a tiny but growing number of schools that have rowing teams, often fee paying, like Portora Royal Grammar in Enniskillen (prior to its amalgamation into a new Enniskillen Royal Grammar along with Enniskillen Collegiate), but the backbone of developing rowing is really the university and alumni crews.  It does help that many universities in Ireland are adjacent to significant rivers.

There is a decent number of rowing clubs, some of which would be a hangover from pre-independence days, a residual popularity of rowing clubs in places like Palmerstown in Dublin and Fermoy/the Blackwater in Cork, previously associated with the British Army.

However, there is an increasing professionalism, reflected by the National Rowing Centre, arising out of, and increasing, the greater competitiveness of Irish rowers in recent decades.
  • el-pietro said:
    When I was in Dublin I noticed there were no decent sized boats on the Liffey, then I noticed all the bridges were extremely low, low enough to prevent any kind of commercial activity.  In fact if you wanted to go down the river you'd have to go by canoe or kayak.  If this is the same all over Ireland?  :| If so it might explain where all these rowers are coming from.  
    There are a tiny but growing number of schools that have rowing teams, often fee paying, like Portora Royal Grammar in Enniskillen (prior to its amalgamation into a new Enniskillen Royal Grammar along with Enniskillen Collegiate), but the backbone of developing rowing is really the university and alumni crews.  It does help that many universities in Ireland are adjacent to significant rivers.

There is a decent number of rowing clubs, some of which would be a hangover from pre-independence days, a residual popularity of rowing clubs in places like Palmerstown in Dublin and Fermoy/the Blackwater in Cork, previously associated with the British Army.

However, there is an increasing professionalism, reflected by the National Rowing Centre, arising out of, and increasing, the greater competitiveness of Irish rowers in recent decades.
    I grew up going to the Regatta in Fermoy every summer. World Champion Gearóid Towey was a member of Fermoy rowing club and went to the same secondary school as me. 
  • Ireland wins a third medal, this has been a very productive games for us. Don't know what colour it is yet though probably bronze. 
    Will be Irelands Aidan Walsh v Pat McCormack of Team GB in the semi final of the Welterweight Boxing. McCormack is the first seed. 
  • Pat McCormack is the Brit???
  • Pat McCormack is the Brit???
    Something tells me he might have split loyalties!
  • Sponsored links:

• How does getting to a boxing semi-final guarantee a medal? Do the losers of both semi’s each get bronze medals?
  • se9addick said:
    How does getting to a boxing semi-final guarantee a medal? Do the losers of both semi’s each get bronze medals?
    Yes 
  • Djokovic is ridiculous. Into the semi's of both the mens singles and mixed doubles and hasn't lost a set yet. 

He has to play both games one after the other today.
  • se9addick said:
    How does getting to a boxing semi-final guarantee a medal? Do the losers of both semi’s each get bronze medals?
    They do but i've never quite understood why.

In sports like football, hockey, tennis, basketball etc there's a bronze medal match, so why can't there be a bronze medal boxing fight? Especially when fights are only 9 minutes long.
  • Because if you get knocked out can’t be expected to fight the next day 
  • Blimey, Ben Whittaker scrapes through to a certain medal. 

If the gold was awarded for self belief he'd win it, think he might do well to cut the showmanship and concentrate on the job in hand.
  • GB women versus Australia quarter final on BBC1 at the moment.
  • The convicts take the lead
  • 1-0 to Australia
  • Sponsored links:

• Australia are pony. GB had a good 10 min spell hitting the woodwork but we look knackered since then.
  • Gggooooalllllllllll!!!!! 
  • Ellen White, White, White
  • Typical that as soon as I switch over to the rugby, we score. You can thank me for the goal
  • edited July 2021
  • LenGlover said:
    Ellen White, White, White
    And repeat
  • Great stuff !!!!
  • She's better than Kane, she's better than Kane, Ellen White is better than Kane!!! 
  • GB Women into the semi of the Rugby 7’s. Australia, the holders, are out.