Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who bought all the tickets?

Comments

• Options
    You can buy a lower West ticket and get to the upper west and same with Covered. People just sit where they want anyway 
  • Options
    You can buy a lower West ticket and get to the upper west and same with Covered. People just sit where they want anyway 
    Not when there were no tickets available in the entire west. I didn’t fancy my chances from north lower to west lower. Anyway, clubs done me a favour and I’ve saved £23 and a load of rage. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    X
  • Options
    I could have had free tickets for Oxford today, but due to work commitments, I wasn't able to make it. Having no strikers, a poor defence and weather being tail end of a storm didn't encourage either. Looks like I was lucky with the work commitments. I remember seeing Charlton lose 0-4 against Bolton last game of the season way back and 1-6 loss against Sheff Utd. Not a surprise really given all the main strikers are out, a shaky defence, and the season bar avoiding a relegation fight being over. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Have sent a tweet to the Fans Advisor for it yo be raised at the next fans forum. I would presume the Fans Advisor is already raising it with the club but no harm in asking the question. 
    Fans advisor has responded it will be raised and agrees the policy needs developing 
    It’s a bit more fundamental than that. In my view the staff know how ridiculous this is but they are too scared or too spineless to offer any challenge whatsoever to Sandgaard, whose instructions they are trying to follow. They also know that trying to tell him things is pointless. He needs to appoint a chief executive and stand back from things he doesn’t understand.
    seems unlikely he will do that
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I told the story on here before about trying to buy my son a ticket for the Cambridge game only for it to be "sold out" with thousands and thousands of empty seats around me.

It just seems crazy that people are effectively being discouraged from BUYING tickets - because there are none available - in order that free tickets can be given away to people who are never going to show up. Mental.

It's almost like the club is being run by people who have no previous experience or idea of running a football club. Unique.
  • Options
    You can argue Free tickets for season ticket holders to give makes some kind of sense but to just randomly throw out thousands of comps in the local area that are not used is madness 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    You can argue Free tickets for season ticket holders to give makes some kind of sense but to just randomly throw out thousands of comps in the local area that are not used is madness 
    Otherwise empty seats and lots of locals..loads of us were local once upon a time, came along and got hooked…loads of locals once voted for the valley party so that charlton could return to the valley…seems to me to be a pretty smart idea to offer the current set of locals a chance to come along 
  • Options
    Jeremy Beadle?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Otherwise empty seats and lots of locals..loads of us were local once upon a time, came along and got hooked…loads of locals once voted for the valley party so that charlton could return to the valley…seems to me to be a pretty smart idea to offer the current set of locals a chance to come along 
    Not when people want to pay hard cash and try to get 2 seats together. It’s commercial suicide 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I'm very local, had a season ticket for more than 15 years, am still on the database so get the generic emails but haven't bought a match ticket for more than a year.

Haven't had anything in terms of a free ticket offer and wouldn't have expected it.

However, if they are being dished out that freely then logic would suggest there must be a chance that me - and others like me - could be more easily lured back to more regular attendance than people who have had no previous interest at all?
  • Options
    Just over 14k announced as the attendance today
  • Options
    Ross said:
    the other 12 thousand must of been in crossbars or at least queuing to get into it by the sounds of it. 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    It would have been too embarrassing (again) to have given out the actual tickets Sold/Freebies as the official attendance 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Have sent a tweet to the Fans Advisor for it yo be raised at the next fans forum. I would presume the Fans Advisor is already raising it with the club but no harm in asking the question. 
    Fans advisor has responded it will be raised and agrees the policy needs developing 
    It’s a bit more fundamental than that. In my view the staff know how ridiculous this is but they are too scared or too spineless to offer any challenge whatsoever to Sandgaard, whose instructions they are trying to follow. They also know that trying to tell him things is pointless. He needs to appoint a chief executive and stand back from things he doesn’t understand.
    seems unlikely he will do that
    Then he’ll keep failing until he runs out of money. His choice.
    Yup
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Difference was we paid. How is the idea smart to give away tickets and effectively block out paying customers from getting in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Difference was we paid. How is the idea smart to give away tickets and effectively block out paying customers from getting in?
    A shilling or two bob was affordable out of the family budget. £20 or more is food on the table for a lot of people these days 
  • Options
    Sat next to two Arsenal fans today. They seemed very happy with their win.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    To try to be charitable and just to play devils advocate it could be he is trying to prove / disprove the merits of various initiatives to determine what will be his chosen way forward. 

The season is over.  The football itself won’t bring in new or lapsed fans. 

Maybe these exercises will just reinforce the historical experience of what works and doesn’t work and determine the way forward ? It could be argued it’s useful to prove previous assertions given todays climate is different with the likes of streaming etc. 

Regardless it isn’t wrong to give away freebies it’s just how. 

Presumably they will analyse which tickets were used / not used and that should allay @Airm@"Airman Brown" assertion  that staff aren’t prepared or able to challenge TS. 

Hopefully this will inform a genuinely new approach to next years season ticket prices. In a post Covid : high inflation environment it will be a challenge whatever they do. 

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    A shilling or two bob was affordable out of the family budget. £20 or more is food on the table for a lot of people these days 
    So the business model is flawed as we are trying to attract customers who cannot afford to pay under that logic
  • Options
    Giving away thousands of tickets every match finishes the value of the product for the people who are actually willing to pay. 
  • Options
    It feels like their are just avoidable mistakes being made too many times.

Why is he doing this? Is he to arrogant and delusional to listen to others and we will just see someone will do what he wants regardless of what people to tell him won't work.

The reality you have to get the right balance of football ambition and affordable ticket prices to get a rise in crowds at clubs like us. We're not an Everton or Newcastle who can just sell out or close to sell out every week regardless of what league they are in. 

The football side has no clear structure. I've said before, KEEP IT SIMPLE. That's what we do best and is needed in lower leagues. Manager is in charge of football side of things and he should get your support and trust until no longer warranted. 

The poor summer looked to me like someone who just expected us to get promoted last yr and thought it would just be easy by adding on or two more players would get us higher than 7th last year.

Being complacent and arrogant as an owner gets you no where in football these days when they are watched and assessed more than before due to the many examples of poor ownership that seem to be happening more often not just here, but other clubs. 

I honestly don't think he gave the respect to the rest of the league that was deserved and thought it would be a walk in the park. He's got a shock there! 

But what's to say he won't do this again?

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Pretty strange business that locks out its existing customers who want to pay with 10,000 plus empty seats however you look at it.
    How true, one of our group went to buy a ticket on Friday as never had an issue in the past. They were forced to call and had to buy a restricted view ticket as the other seats had been given away. 
    To rub salt in he was told he would have to pay the booking fee as he wouldn’t be able to buy on the day as they don’t sell these tickets.
    of course he was able to sit with us as there were plenty of empty seats. 
    How many fans didn’t bother to go as they couldn’t get a ticket? Lost revenue and potentially a lost fan going forward.
    I don’t have a problem giving some tickets away but we must be giving away between 8,000-10,000. 
    They then have the cheek to ask you to buy early for Sunderland to secure your seat. 
    If they are going to give away free tickets their should be a strategy to attract the fans to attend again whilst paying. 
    I know people who will go to the odd free game, but they are not Charlton supporters and never will be as many freebies you want to give them. 
    To me it looks as though there is no strategy to most things at the club at the moment, very concerning for the future. 

It’s a ridiculous situation.

Out of interest, where are the restricted view seats in the home areas of our ground? Didn’t realise we had any.