Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Just an idea to get pics from wherever you are today. 

Here's East Sheffield at 8am. 

Comments

• From my apartment in Saint Jean de Luz France. Below is where they play Pelota Basque. Leaving today for Bilbao  
  • edited July 2022
    Spending 6 weeks in California this summer as per previous years - and taking a look at Palm Springs, golf should be a bit warm. 48 degrees forecast today.

Considering packing the shorts I think.

Actually jokes aside that's stupid. That's enough to get seriously ill in.
  • Elizabeth Rizzini (AKA Ruthie Babes) has been a member of Charlton Life since June 2012
  • shine166 said:
    Spending 6 weeks in California this summer as per previous years - and taking a look at Palm Springs, golf should be a bit warm. 48 degrees forecast today.

Considering packing the shorts I think.

Actually jokes aside that's stupid. That's enough to get seriously ill in.
    It's the weather watch thread, not the come and boast about your holiday thread :)

• The maximum temperature chart below was produced by the US computer model on Saturday for next Sunday.  Similar charts had been produced for days before that and continue to be produced by various models.  It's unlikely BUT possible.  Next Sunday the temperature in England could be in the dangerous category.

• Am off to Paris in 10 days time, projected to be 37/38 whilst I'm out there
  • Here's a hazy looking London
  • Sponsored links:

• anything >30c feels ridiculous in the UK - we just aren't equipped for such heat.

love it when abroad and there's a pool to dip in and out of, just not here
  • Hex said:
    The maximum temperature chart below was produced by the US computer model on Saturday for next Sunday.  Similar charts had been produced for days before that and continue to be produced by various models.  It's unlikely BUT possible.  Next Sunday the temperature in England could be in the dangerous category.

I love these "forecasts", from people who struggle at times get what is happening in the next 24/48 hours right..as Kenny Everett once said, if you want to know the weather, look out of the window..😎
  • Halo above our house here in Cardiff 
  • just went out for a pint at lunch, and it was definitely nice and warm! not sure I'll get a lot of work done this afternoon!

Are the temperatures you see on the forecasts air temperatures in the shade rather than ground temperatures in the sun? Can't imagine it getting to 40 degrees here
  • Hex said:
    The maximum temperature chart below was produced by the US computer model on Saturday for next Sunday.  Similar charts had been produced for days before that and continue to be produced by various models.  It's unlikely BUT possible.  Next Sunday the temperature in England could be in the dangerous category.

I love these "forecasts", from people who struggle at times get what is happening in the next 24/48 hours right..as Kenny Everett once said, if you want to know the weather, look out of the window..😎
    But at least they are open about it and publish the data.  Sometimes weather is very predictable, sometimes it isn't and they say so.
  • The Met Office have just issued an amber warning re Sunday's heat and expect to extend into Monday later.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=dc58cc70-bbf5-42f3-8814-a6736c53158d&details&referrer=app&date=2022-07-17
  • It is incredibly humid at present.

Dartford has suddenly turned into Egypt
  • Having to keep a close eye on our 1 remaining Ferret - I have known of a Ferret passing away because the cold, but you have to be very careful when it’s hot

I’m in Dartford and patio thermometer showing 32 degrees - appreciate that the heat from the patio and house bricks is affecting that, but it’s still bloody hot in the garden

My 2 dogs look very unhappy a) because of the heat & b) because I haven’t taken them out

Can’t walk them in this heat - not good for them 
  • Dave2l said:
    It is incredibly humid at present.

Actually, it's not !  I'm a few miles from Dartford - temp 31.3,  37% humidity.  It will get more humid, though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forecast to reach 47°C in Seville today. Ouch.
  • Mugla, Turkey at the moment. Difficult to get air into your lungs. 
  • edited July 2022
    Dave2l said:
    Be locals will be in denial about that - Its a Pharaoh heat wave for sure
  • Dave2l said:
    It is incredibly humid at present.

Well it is a pharaoh'd bit of sun we're having 
  • find it hard to believe this American weather model that is predicting temperature to go over 4 degrees higher than existing record temperature.
    Had friends who lived there... there was a thermometer in a central square that would sometimes hit 50. Madness.
  • MrOneLung said:
    find it hard to believe this American weather model that is predicting temperature to go over 4 degrees higher than existing record temperature.
    It is not only the American model (GFS).  If it was it would be easy to ignore.  Also, the GFS has a reputation for understating temperatures by one or two degrees.

Do you remember the 'heat dome' that settled over NW USA and western Canada last year ?  The temperatures went 4 to 5 degrees above previous records ...

Was there last week and it got to 38 degrees so 47 degrees is definetly ouch!
  • Working on the rigs on the north west shelf of Australia, 400kms offshored in the indian ocean, we recorded the deck temp at over 60c. It was that hot, I could not stand still in the sun for longer than a minute, due to the heat coming through the soles of my work boots. Insane conditions. Add in the PPE worn, full length coveralls, gloves, and hard hat.
    I've seen strong, fit young men go down with heat stroke, conditions nearly killing a work mate of mine, who took a good year to fully recover.