Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Having threads closed that were racking up my 'like' count :-(
  • AFKA I thought a level of mature debate on some serious subjects would be something you'd find rewarding. You could have created something to rival the Oxford Union.

Although you are quite right about the point scoring, the duels and the name-calling but we see plenty of that on the general Charlton threads!
  • PL54 said:

cabbles said:

People that use generic statements about things that they've heard or picked up from other people that think sound really profound.

My worst is when people say they have an 'eclectic' taste in music, thereby wanting to demonstrate they like different genres.

"Eclectic mix" isn't that like saying "Small little"
    Or teeny weeny?
  • The depressing evolution of how people use forums.

The fact more people would rather contribute to argumentative threads about politics, religion, rapists etc and get into pathetic point scoring, tit for tat 'duals', than contribute to light hearted threads (such as memorable parties).

Charlton supporters so boring, that they've never been to a memorable party :-)

Queue abuse from the argumentative, petty point scoring, tit for tat ones :-)
  • Redskin said:

Forgetting to take a book into the lav and having to read the back of the Domestos bottle.

Again.

Isn't that what your phone is for?
  • AFKA I thought a level of mature debate on some serious subjects would be something you'd find rewarding. You could have created something to rival the Oxford Union.

Although you are quite right about the point scoring, the duels and the name-calling but we see plenty of that on the general Charlton threads!

On the first para, definitely. There is knowledge on here far beyond my own, not only do I find the stuff informative and educational, I also genuinely enjoy reading the viewpoints of those which are completely different to mine. And I can manage to do without once ever getting into a childish spat with anyone. In person, I can be as much as a gobshite as anyone, but I find it easy to contribute to social media without rucking with those with different views, and I just can't for the life of me understand how some others can't. Just find it so frustrating at times.

The fact more people would rather contribute to argumentative threads about politics, religion, rapists etc and get into pathetic point scoring, tit for tat 'duals', than contribute to light hearted threads (such as memorable parties).

With every thread that turns into point scoring, take heart that there is a story about unfulfilled love on a Saturday night and photosensitivity stopping that love leave the house and turn more amorous

It's very much rough with the smooth on here
  • Well there is that I suppose

And would ya's
  • 132 pages in so maybe done already...but when did people start saying can I get a latte instead of can I have. Look at me so international. You can get a smack in the gob.
  • Sponsored links:

• oh, and brain-dead X factor people starting every sentence with ' you know what'...it will drive you mad now

• You know what, I have to concur with kafka on that.
  • kafka said:

132 pages in so maybe done already...but when did people start saying can I get a latte instead of can I have. Look at, me so international. You can get a smack in the gob.

Yeh, it's been done, but doesn't make your point less valid. So irritating.

• kafka said:

132 pages in so maybe done already...but when did people start saying can I get a latte instead of can I have. Look at, me so international. You can get a smack in the gob.

Yeh, it's been done, but doesn't make your point less valid. So irritating.

Hear hear, but the correct expression according to me dear old mum, is "please may I have?"
  • Bin men
  • The press adding -gate to any made-up name for a scandal (Plebgate, etc.)!

Ffs sake the Watergate scandal was so called because of the break-in at the Watergate building. Just adding -gate to anything means nothing at all!

This is one of my top 5 per hates. And half the journos wouldn't know what Watergate was.
  • I love Gategate and use it at every opportunity.
  • cabbles said:

People that use generic statements about things that they've heard or picked up from other people that think sound really profound.

My worst is when people say they have an 'eclectic' taste in music, thereby wanting to demonstrate they like different genres. Just about everyone can say that because pretty much everyone likes more than one genre in music. It's no big thing to say you like thrash metal but also have an Andrea Boccelli album.

The other one I heard the other day was the reporter on sky spts news talking about the death of Dessie Hughes. He said that he thinks the word 'legend' gets bandied about all too often these days for his liking, but Dessie Hughes is a legend in the true sense of the word.

I've got no problem with him saying Dessie Hughes is a true legend, I know nothing of racing, I'm sure he is. It's just people always say that bit before about the word legend being used all too loosely.

Minute cliches or sayings, bugging me.

What I can stand is the standard answer to the question Do you think the reason for X is because of Y or Z? I can hear Lawro or Shearer now.... "Actually Chappers/Gary, I think it's a little bit of both. " Every bloody time!
  • Riviera said:

I love Gategate and use it at every opportunity.

Aldgate – leading to Colchester and Essex

Bishopsgate – leading to Shoreditch and up towards Cambridge along the old Ermine Street.

Moorgate – Not an original Roman gate, it was more than likely a postern in Roman times only becoming a gate in 1415. The gate led to the Moorfields a marshy area north of the city.

Cripplegate – Leading to the village of Islington.

Aldersgate – leading towards St. Bartholomews Abbey, Smithfield Market and London Charterhouse. Aldersgate is thought to have replaced a previous gate to the west of the city.

Newgate – leading towards Oxford and the west.

Ludgate – leading towards Bath and the South West

• Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

Bin men

Around my way, they called leave it all over the road men.
  • cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Bishopsgate – leading to Shoreditch and up towards Cambridge along the old Ermine Street.

Moorgate – Not an original Roman gate, it was more than likely a postern in Roman times only becoming a gate in 1415. The gate led to the Moorfields a marshy area north of the city.

Aldersgate – leading towards St. Bartholomews Abbey, Smithfield Market and London Charterhouse. Aldersgate is thought to have replaced a previous gate to the west of the city.

And New Cross Gate leading to the depths of Cold Blow Lane?
  • The press adding -gate to any made-up name for a scandal (Plebgate, etc.)!

Ffs sake the Watergate scandal was so called because of the break-in at the Watergate building. Just adding -gate to anything means nothing at all!

I agree but as Plebgate actually involved a gate I'm prepared to let this one go.
  • cabbles said:

Riviera said:

And New Cross Gate leading to the depths of Cold Blow Lane?
    Good point. Perhaps the Romans weren't too concerned about giving 'Cent' as it may have been known back then, a gate into London. I should probably start a separate thread on this. I reckon it's got a least a page and a half worth of comments in its locker
  • edited November 2014
    Margate Andrew Marr getting his knob out on his Sunday morning politics show
  • Ramsgate was some scandal about Derby County wasn't it?
  • Floodgate when the Thames Barrier failed......
  • Pearlygate when the Lambeth Walk was mysteriously closed.......
  • Gardengate- When one of the Goodies disappeared......
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!