Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• edited December 2014

Not being able to eat various bags of nuts, crisps, chocolates etc in cupboards because "they're for Christmas"....

People who have 'things for Christmas' in their cupboards on Dec 14th.

Organised bar stewards!

(PS I'm just off to the shops)
  • Not being able to eat various bags of nuts, crisps, chocolates etc in cupboards because "they're for Christmas"....

After the hullaballoo of the Great Piccalilli Crisis of 2013, I'm sure a lot of us would sleep sounder if you could just confirm that there's a jar or two of that tucked away for xmas.
  • The all too infrequent use of the word ''hullaballoo'' on Charltonlife.
  • The all too infrequent use of the word ''hullaballoo'' on Charltonlife.

Absolutely, we should also start a campaign for "Malarkey" to be utilised more often.

• JWADDICK said:

The all too infrequent use of the word ''hullaballoo'' on Charltonlife.

Absolutely, we should also start a campaign for "Malarkey" to be utilised more often.

Yep, and shenanigans too imo but the all too frequent use of the phrase "offended on behalf of others" and similar needs crushing like a brazil nut at Christmas.
  • JWADDICK said:

Yep, and shenanigans too imo but the all too frequent use of the phrase "offended on behalf of others" and similar needs crushing like a brazil nut at Christmas.
    Frankly Bournemouth, I'm offended on your behalf at the amount of times I see "offended on behalf of others".
  • Stig said:

JWADDICK said:

Frankly Bournemouth, I'm offended on your behalf at the amount of times I see "offended on behalf of others".
    I hope your also offended on my behalf as well @Stig... Really am too busy to be offended by things at the moment so would really appreciate it if you could do it for me?
  • People who think Christmas is about Jesus and his made up friends
  • People who think it's acceptable to swear in public, particularly in public transport with kids about. Some bloke on the train home earlier answered his mobile with the words "HA HA, ALRIGHT YOU F**KER!", just along from a family with young kids. They think it's everyday language.
  • Sponsored links:

• JWADDICK said:

Agreed
    Can I add 'miscreant' to the list?
  • edited December 2014

JWADDICK said:

Agreed
    Can I add 'miscreant' to the list?
    Great word
    Miscreant.....
    a person who has done something wrong or unlawful.
    "the police are straining every nerve to bring the miscreants to justice"
    synonyms: criminal, culprit, wrongdoer, malefactor, Spanner, offender, villain, black hat, lawbreaker, Spanner evil-doer, convict, delinquent, sinner,Spanner transgressor, outlaw, trespasser, scoundrel, Spanner, wretch, reprobate, rogue, rascal,
    archaic
    a heretic.
    ;)

• Christmas and birthday cards that say to my mother, father, girlfriend etc. Plain cards seem hard to find these days.
  • Stig said:

Not being able to eat various bags of nuts, crisps, chocolates etc in cupboards because "they're for Christmas"....

After the hullaballoo of the Great Piccalilli Crisis of 2013, I'm sure a lot of us would sleep sounder if you could just confirm that there's a jar or two of that tucked away for xmas.
    Ha, you've some memory. Forgot about that thread!

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/58573/christmas-is-ruined-because/p1

Think I'll start a 2014 version soon

• Christmas and birthday cards that say to my mother, father, girlfriend etc. Plain cards seem hard to find these days.

Just go to the aisle that isn't marked Relatives.
  • A couple of football things, both relating to time wasting

1. When goalkeepers or defenders grab onto the ball after a goal is scored. I don't really get how much time they think they'll save by holding the ball behind their back while a couple of opponents push them around. Usually ends up with handbags, and its all a bit embarrassing. I think players doing it should be booked in the same way they would be for kicking the ball away.

2. When players run the ball into the corner to waste time, trap the ball and use their body to shield the ball. There's one thing running it into the corner, but its when they get the ball right in the quadrant and don't look to play it, just block off the defenders. Complete anti-football and normally results in someone getting a good kicking, or the lino/ref making a dodgy call to give the opposition a free-kick/throw. Why not just stop it completely and award a free-kick to the other team to discourage it.

Sort it out Blatter!

• Ben18 said:

2. When players run the ball into the corner to waste time, trap the ball and use their body to shield the ball. There's one thing running it into the corner, but its when they get the ball right in the quadrant and don't look to play it, just block off the defenders. Complete anti-football and normally results in someone getting a good kicking, or the lino/ref making a dodgy call to give the opposition a free-kick/throw. Why not just stop it completely and award a free-kick to the other team to discourage it

I've always thought that the solution to this was to allow defenders to kick the person shielding the ball as hard as they like when they are within 2 yards of the corner flag.

Solved!
  • Ben18 said:

A couple of football things, both relating to time wasting

1. When goalkeepers or defenders grab onto the ball after a goal is scored. I don't really get how much time they think they'll save by holding the ball behind their back while a couple of opponents push them around. Usually ends up with handbags, and its all a bit embarrassing. I think players doing it should be booked in the same way they would be for kicking the ball away.

2. When players run the ball into the corner to waste time, trap the ball and use their body to shield the ball. There's one thing running it into the corner, but its when they get the ball right in the quadrant and don't look to play it, just block off the defenders. Complete anti-football and normally results in someone getting a good kicking, or the lino/ref making a dodgy call to give the opposition a free-kick/throw. Why not just stop it completely and award a free-kick to the other team to discourage it.

Sort it out Blatter!

With the 2nd point Ive always seen it as obstruction... the player taking the ball into the corner flag is clearly showing no sign of wanting to play the ball and just wants to get in the way, surely that would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch

Same with when a player shields a ball out for a goal kick... make it more interesting and see how the player can deal with the situation if they're forced to play the ball
  • When newspapers list the 'top ten sales bargains'

They're not. The are first sale offers that the junior hack found on the internet in this great 30 seconds worth of journalism
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben18 said:

2. When players run the ball into the corner to waste time, trap the ball and use their body to shield the ball. There's one thing running it into the corner, but its when they get the ball right in the quadrant and don't look to play it, just block off the defenders. Complete anti-football and normally results in someone getting a good kicking, or the lino/ref making a dodgy call to give the opposition a free-kick/throw. Why not just stop it completely and award a free-kick to the other team to discourage it

I've always thought that the solution to this was to allow defenders to kick the person shielding the ball as hard as they like when they are within 2 yards of the corner flag.

Solved!
    This happened at The Valley years ago in the premier league days. Cant remember the Charlton player who took ball to the corner flag but it was Stuart McCall who went over and gave him a good kicking, and was thus sent off.
  • Ben18 said:

Sort it out Blatter!

Yet another moment the ref messed up yesterday, by not booking Cardiff keeper for hoofing the ball into covered end after Gudmundsson scored.

Ben18 said:

Sort it out Blatter!

With the 2nd point Ive always seen it as obstruction... the player taking the ball into the corner flag is clearly showing no sign of wanting to play the ball and just wants to get in the way, surely that would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch

Same with when a player shields a ball out for a goal kick... make it more interesting and see how the player can deal with the situation if they're forced to play the ball
    With this, I'm of the opinion that shielding the ball is a valid skill, so should be allowed at corners etc when running down the clock - the ball is live and it's down to the opponents to get the ball off the player. Not pretty, but part of the game.
    BUT - I think shielding the ball so it goes out for a goal kick is not right - the critical difference being that the shielding player has not touched the ball, so IMO, is not in control of it.
    Personally, I think this ought to be what distinguishes between obstruction and valid shielding.
  • When newspapers list the 'top ten sales bargains'

They're not. The are first sale offers that the junior hack found on the internet in this great 30 seconds worth of journalism

They're often worse than that: sops to companies to persuade them to buy paid advertising.
  • Amusing rather than annoying........ Being given advice on what to wear as an over 40, by a generation that can't put a hat on straight, pull up their jeans or do up their fecking laces. ;)
  • EVERY SINGLE Dubai shoe shop making the decision not to stock any shoes above size 11.
    Idiots.
  • Scenes in films where people tap on computer keyboards furiously whilst chewing gum and saying awful dialogue like "it's going down" or "oh shit you did not see that coming"

I mean what the f*** are they tapping?
  • Having to sign in every time I open up the page. Sort it out! Ta
  • Operation

The kids game.
    When I was younger it was quite tough but either they have dumbed it down and made the holes bigger or my just turned four year old is a budding surgeon.

First go and takes out 8 of them in a row without buzzing the nose.

Neither of us too impressed with game.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!