Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• purdis said:

purdis said:

cabbles said:

Stig said:

The dumbing down of the documentary channels on tv. I'm not saying they were ever that varied, interesting or rigorous, but at least in the old days you could find out about someone who tried to assassinate Hitler or how many different critters could kill you in the Australian outback. Nowadays it seems to be nothing but wall to wall storage and auction programmes. If I see another show with an incredibly dull pun on the word "pawn" in the title, I shall vomit.

There's only a few I like now. Extreme or Mega Engineering is very good. How the Universe works. God knows how the 'pawn' stores are somehow on there. Also, I thought I saw an advert for mafia Amish people on there as well. Bizarre
    Fish Tank Kings on Nat Geo.
    Wtf next?
    I subscribed to the National Geographic magazine for for over ten years. Amazing how such a good publication can have such rubbish tv channels. The discovery channel used to good but it morphed into many and consequently went down hill.

Am I the only one who is, whenever switching on SKY or changing channel, confronted by adverts, pretty much every time? Is it possible SKY could develop a system whereby whoever switches on their TV, they automatically get adverts? Highly unlikely but it bloody well seems like that.

It does happen, also have you noticed the annoying trait of having adverts then the rejoining programme screen followed by another advert from the sponsor? Really mucks up my fast forwarding.
  • People who try and glam up a meeting.

First day back and I see an invite to a meeting which I know will be boring, yet hasn't stopped them trying to glam it up a bit with 'we have a fantastic agenda for you to fest your eyes on'.

We all know it is a load of rubbish, we have been before.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

People who try and glam up a meeting.

First day back and I see an invite to a meeting which I know will be boring, yet hasn't stopped them trying to glam it up a bit with 'we have a fantastic agenda for you to fest your eyes on'.

We all know it is a load of rubbish, we have been before.

Agreed.

Also meetings for the sake of meetings. Usually done by people who want to make themselves seem more important than they are or to look busier than they are. I know someone who is 'always' in meetings and misses actually important things and always says 'sorry, I was in a meeting', yet they never actually seem to get any work done.
  • Fiiish said:

Also meetings for the sake of meetings. Usually done by people who want to make themselves seem more important than they are or to look busier than they are. I know someone who is 'always' in meetings and misses actually important things and always says 'sorry, I was in a meeting', yet they never actually seem to get any work done.

I find meetings about meetings to be the most boring.
  • When people put an S on the end of a surname.

Eg: Damian Matthews and Tony Watts.

Anyway, has Bob Peeter be replaced with Guy Luzons yet?
  • Fiiish said:

Something that annoyed me a few weeks ago but it's just cropped up today in a discussion at work.

Using a word other than Christmas to describe Christmas in an attempt to be PC (eg Winterval, Season, Holiday Period etc.)

To all jobsworths out there: there isn't a single sane person on this planet who gets offended by the word 'Christmas', or for it to be used to describe the period surrounding December 25.

There are, however, a group of people who might perhaps be offended by attempts to sideline Christmas. They're called Christians.

This came up today when someone wanted to describe events over the Christmas period in a way so as to not, and I quote, 'offend the Muslims'.

I notice this is usually employed by politicians. My local political party shoved some propaganda through my letterbox disguised as a Christmas card, except it had on the front HOLIDAY GREETINGS (which was then filled with baseless lies regarding privatisation of the NHS and how a mansion tax would pay for 27 different policies...I'll let you guess which party). Yet whenever there is a religious festival for any other religion such as Hannukah, Eid or Diwali, politicians are normally the first in line to wish people a happy Eid or Diwali. I don't mind them doing this as such, but to do that and then refuse to call Christmas by its actual name is just ridiculous.

I love watching people trying to go out of their way to be what they think is PC.

I've never met anyone yet who won't refer to Christmas as Christmas though, that's a new one.

• Riviera said:

People from Bermondsey who keep having to tell you that they are from Bermondsey even when they haven't lived there for years.

My Mum, she hasn't lived there since it got bombed in the war. She has lived in South Norwood, Mottingham, Plumstead and for the last 48 years Chislehurst but despite that she still bangs on about Bermondsey. She must have been a fetus when she left there.
  • The appropriation of our native yule festival by christians and the cries of 'foul' by their sanctimonious apologists whenever anyone chooses not to recognise their favourite fantasy figure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

The appropriation of our native yule festival by christians and the cries of 'foul' by their sanctimonious apologists whenever anyone chooses not to recognise their favourite fantasy figure.

Not sure if this is meant to be a response to my post, but I'd thought I'd clarify that my grievance was only in relation to those who actively avoid using the word Christmas because they think it offends people.

Also, Jesus Christ the person is actually a historical figure, not a 'fantasy figure' although whether he had divinity is obviously a question of faith.
  • Terrible thing that, avoiding offending people.

Yes I'm aware that he's generally considered to be a genuine historical figure. But no, whether he had divinity is not a question of faith. Whether people believe he had divinity is a question of faith but it's nothing more than that.
  • Fiiish said:

Stig said:

The appropriation of our native yule festival by christians and the cries of 'foul' by their sanctimonious apologists whenever anyone chooses not to recognise their favourite fantasy figure.

Not sure if this is meant to be a response to my post, but I'd thought I'd clarify that my grievance was only in relation to those who actively avoid using the word Christmas because they think it offends people.

Also, Jesus Christ the person is actually a historical figure, not a 'fantasy figure' although whether he had divinity is obviously a question of faith.
    Probably a historical figure. I don't think it is 100% certain.
  • Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Of course it's 100% certain for Gods sake!
  • Riviera said:

Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Could you say "for goodness sake!" instead please? Might offend someone. :wink:
  • Riviera said:

Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Could you say "for goodness sake!" instead please? Might offend someone. :wink:
    Saviour's day, Cliff Richard. He wrote that to remind us all why we have Christmas. I was heavily promoting it as my favourite Xmas song in the Xmas song threads. Watch the video I tell you. That's what he believes Xmas should be about.
  • Light coloured socks. There is a person sitting opposite me in the train with black shoes and beige socks on.
  • Stig said:

Terrible thing that, avoiding offending people.

Yes I'm aware that he's generally considered to be a genuine historical figure. But no, whether he had divinity is not a question of faith. Whether people believe he had divinity is a question of faith but it's nothing more than that.

No point getting into a theological discussion since you don't appear to understand what faith is, but the offending people part is bollocks - no rational person is offended by the word 'Christmas'. That's why it annoys me people contort themselves into refusing to use the word because they believe Muslims are offended by it. I know more Muslims than most politicians will ever meet in their lifetimes and not a single one finds Christmas offensive, mainly because they're not idiots. Unlike jobsworths who think being PC means making daft assumptions about cultures they barely understand, which ironically isn't PC.
  • Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Terrible thing that, avoiding offending people.

No point getting into a theological discussion since you don't appear to understand what faith is...
    Believe me, I do.
  • when someone says "do you want to do XYZ" when really they mean "I want you to do XYZ"

• Sponsored links:

• Light coloured socks. There is a person sitting opposite me in the train with black shoes and beige socks on.

Sorry all my other socks are in the wash... And anyway quite like the colour difference thank you very much!! ;)
  • Do they go with your beige suit?

when someone says "do you want to do XYZ" when really they mean "I want you to do XYZ"

Do you want to cheer up?

:wink:

Sorry all my other socks are in the wash... And anyway quite like the colour difference thank you very much!! ;)
    I'll let it go just this once.
  • Riviera said:

People from Bermondsey who keep having to tell you that they are from Bermondsey even when they haven't lived there for years.

My Mum, she hasn't lived there since it got bombed in the war. She has lived in South Norwood, Mottingham, Plumstead and for the last 48 years Chislehurst but despite that she still bangs on about Bermondsey. She must have been a fetus when she left there.
    Left Coldharbour Estate aged 19 but that's where I grew up and all I can relate to regards my Sarf Londin memories.

Moved up to south Manchester and met a girl, got married, stayed, lived near Stockport for 20 years, moved to Ipswich several years ago.

My kids were born in Stockport but here's the twist - daughter now working in the City and living in Westcombe Park - just a mile from the Theatre Of Dreams that is The Valley.
    Son starts work in the City in September and will likely be living in Hither Green.
    So, the genes have come home to roost.

As regards annoying things:
    Soap that falls apart in the shower.
    Toilet paper that is not strong enough.............

• When people press the button at a crossing and the road is clear!! they cross, I have to stop at the red light while they are about 100 metres up the road!!!

Not indicating at a roundabout!

• When people brake suddenly along a road. my car doesn't have ABS and takes forever to stop.
  • When people brake suddenly along a road. my car doesn't have ABS and takes forever to stop.

When motorists stop while driving, then indicate to go left or right, as if you knew what they were going to do
  • edited January 2015

Especially bad when these two happen at the same time ;-)
  • purdis said:

Riviera said:

Left Coldharbour Estate aged 19 but that's where I grew up and all I can relate to regards my Sarf Londin memories.

Moved up to south Manchester and met a girl, got married, stayed, lived near Stockport for 20 years, moved to Ipswich several years ago.

My kids were born in Stockport but here's the twist - daughter now working in the City and living in Westcombe Park - just a mile from the Theatre Of Dreams that is The Valley.
    Son starts work in the City in September and will likely be living in Hither Green.
    So, the genes have come home to roost.

Izal (the stuff they used to have in the school toilets 40 years ago) strongest toilet paper known to man. Could also be used for tracing paper and probably better used for that.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!