Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• The A12 back to Ipswich from the M25.

A sh*t road and dangerous.

Whoever designed it or laid it must have been either p*ssed or on Magic Mushrooms.
  • Why do we find it so hard to build major roads in a straight line?

Also, people who call the Nou Camp, Camp Nou.
  • Riviera said:

The Burnley manager's goatee.

The Burnley managers voice.
  • edited March 2015
    WayneK said:

Why do we find it so hard to build major roads in a straight line?

In Spain it's known as camp nou. But in England most people refer to is as nou camp.
  • sam3110 said:

It annoys me that commentators can't stop calling David Silva David Silva just to show they are capable of mis-pronouncing the name David (which as we are in England is pronounced withe the a like "wave" rather than "have") when every other player is referred to by just his surname. Stop doing it you fuckwits.

Also riles me when the rugger people refer to Racing of Paris and pronounce it as though it rhymes with "bashing". If you are going to go all French then it's "Pareee" for Paris but the commentators can't figure that out so you get what they think is the correct pronunciation in a foreign language for just part of the time to show they are such clever ****s. To me it makes them sound mugs.

There's two examples of this that always bugged me:

One was during an old World Cup (86? 90?) There was a Brazilian player called Müller. The story went that the player was such a fan of Gerd Müller, that he took his name. There was a commentator during that World Cup who insisted on calling him Müll-air. Twat.

Second is the country Tanzania. (Most people are guilty of this one - probably you too!)
    Tanzania is a blend of the two names Tanganyika and Zanzibar, which united to make one nation in the sixties. The name Tanzania was coined by a Tanzanian man in 1964, apparently in a national competition to come up with a good name for the new nation. A few years ago, this man was being interviewed on a British radio station about the history of the country. Throughout, the interviewer pronounced it (as I imagine you do too) 'Tan-zan-ee-a'. The little fella who actually came up with the name in the first place pronounced it 'Tan-zan-ya'.
    I don't know about you, but I'd say he was the world's authority on how to pronounce the word Tanzania.
    When I went to Tanzania for a month, about 6 or 7 years ago now, one of the very first Tanzanians to greet us said "Welcome to Tan-zan-ee-ya" so I think you need to get out there and tell all the locals they pronounce it wrong

That's also how it's pronounced in the national anthem. Someone should tell them they're singing it wrong
  • Riviera said:

The Burnley manager's goatee.

The Burnley managers voice.
    Beat me to it. So annoying that I don't get up earlier on a Sunday.

• edited March 2015

WayneK said:

In Spain it's known as camp nou. But in England most people refer to is as nou camp.
    ¿Gracias Colíñ
  • sam3110 said:

It annoys me that commentators can't stop calling David Silva David Silva just to show they are capable of mis-pronouncing the name David (which as we are in England is pronounced withe the a like "wave" rather than "have") when every other player is referred to by just his surname. Stop doing it you fuckwits.

Also riles me when the rugger people refer to Racing of Paris and pronounce it as though it rhymes with "bashing". If you are going to go all French then it's "Pareee" for Paris but the commentators can't figure that out so you get what they think is the correct pronunciation in a foreign language for just part of the time to show they are such clever ****s. To me it makes them sound mugs.

There's two examples of this that always bugged me:

One was during an old World Cup (86? 90?) There was a Brazilian player called Müller. The story went that the player was such a fan of Gerd Müller, that he took his name. There was a commentator during that World Cup who insisted on calling him Müll-air. Twat.

Second is the country Tanzania. (Most people are guilty of this one - probably you too!)
    Tanzania is a blend of the two names Tanganyika and Zanzibar, which united to make one nation in the sixties. The name Tanzania was coined by a Tanzanian man in 1964, apparently in a national competition to come up with a good name for the new nation. A few years ago, this man was being interviewed on a British radio station about the history of the country. Throughout, the interviewer pronounced it (as I imagine you do too) 'Tan-zan-ee-a'. The little fella who actually came up with the name in the first place pronounced it 'Tan-zan-ya'.
    I don't know about you, but I'd say he was the world's authority on how to pronounce the word Tanzania.
    When I went to Tanzania for a month, about 6 or 7 years ago now, one of the very first Tanzanians to greet us said "Welcome to Tan-zan-ee-ya" so I think you need to get out there and tell all the locals they pronounce it wrong

Haha! It's a fair point.
    I guess the word evolved over time to the more common pronunciation, even there.
    To be honest, the thing that I found annoying was the way the interviewer basically ignored the opinion of the originator of the word and talked over him. It seemed to me that he deserved sufficient respect to pronounce it his way, even if only in that interview.
  • Another country one is Chile, I've always pronounce it chilly but now hear people say cheelay.

Any opinions?
  • Sponsored links:

• I go for Chile as in Adrian Chile(s)
  • It annoys me that commentators can't stop calling David Silva David Silva just to show they are capable of mis-pronouncing the name David (which as we are in England is pronounced withe the a like "wave" rather than "have") when every other player is referred to by just his surname. Stop doing it you fuckwits.

Bit like Bayern Munich - surely it should either be Bayern Munchen, or Bavaria Munich? Why do we mix German and English in this case?

• Real Madrid is another one. Thirty years ago it was pronounced 'reel' but now it is always 'ray al'. But Madrid is still pronounced the English way so it's inconsistent.
  • edited March 2015

WayneK said:

¿Gracias Colíñ
    No hay problema Arturo
  • the Dutch side PSV is another.

used to be pronounced PSV but all I hear these days is PSV.
  • People filming in portrait mode on their phones. Especially at a football ground. It doesn't make any sense. Do they also stand their TVs on their sides and wonder why the picture is sideways?
  • I'm ill. I missed Huddersfield and I can't find my season ticket for the game tomorrow
  • JiMMy 85 said:

People filming in portrait mode on their phones. Especially at a football ground. It doesn't make any sense. Do they also stand their TVs on their sides and wonder why the picture is sideways?

But what if you're filming Peter Crouch or my mate Phil both 6'7"?
  • Macronate said:

the Dutch side PSV is another.

And Ajax used to be Ajax as in bathroom cleaner when I was growing up. Nowdays we totally ignore the a and j and for good measure insert an i in there.
    I cant evemn blame Steve "Dutch" Macforsure for this.
  • Macronate said:

And Ajax used to be Ajax as in bathroom cleaner when I was growing up. Nowdays we totally ignore the a and j and for good measure insert an i in there.
    I cant evemn blame Steve "Dutch" Macforsure for this.
    Big Ron still calls them A-Jacks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Getting to work and realising you've left your ticket at home.
  • Getting to work and realising you've left your trousers at home.
  • Macronate said:

A South east london football team once pronounced as its spelt Crystal Palace

now pronounced bunch of w..kers

• When people post Timehop pictures on Facebook.

We were bored out of our tits seeing your mundane pictures 1,2,3 years ago, we don't want to see them again!

Not knowing what Timehop is.
  • Child Benefit Money - Why?
  • People who rattle charity tins in your face or give you a filthy look if you don't contribute.
  • People who still go on about Yan on C L
  • Chuggers knocking on your door at 7 in the evening then claiming that the rest of your neighbours have been really supportive. No they haven't, they gave the same answer I'm about to give you - Sod off, I'm having a wank my supper.
  • edited March 2015

People who still go on about Yan on C L

Did you hear ?

He scored 2 goals last night,

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!