Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Hal1x said:
    Isnt that Super Dave Osborne?!
    Blimey, that's a character I haven't thought of in years. Yes it is him. 
  • JaShea99 said:
    I can’t tell if this is a ‘whoosh’ or not but surely you didn’t think it was £220 one off or £175 a month??
    I didnt think it was 175 a month. But can't get why I can't pay 175 as a one off payment, its not an option. I'm obviously being a dumbass 
    I know what you mean, normally it's definitely the other way around!!
  • JaShea99 said:
    I can’t tell if this is a ‘whoosh’ or not but surely you didn’t think it was £220 one off or £175 a month??
    I didnt think it was 175 a month. But can't get why I can't pay 175 as a one off payment, its not an option. I'm obviously being a dumbass 
    No its a fair shout, it makes sense to show the DD as a monthly cost as presumably most people pay the DD monthly rather than annually 
  • Reckon the direct debit will auto renew unless cancelled. Lot of people people will not realise and then just keep that extra year. They end with 350 quid rather than just 218 
  • edited October 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    You can pay £175 as a one off payment.
    The one off payment is taken by direct debit, so it's taken from your bank account rather than paying by credit card or other means.
    If you are certain you will only want 12 months membership cancel the DDR after they take the payment or they will likely take a further £175 in another 12 months.

• rina said:
    I was looking at prices for London zoo and notice that their membership fee is cheaper if you pay by direct debit monthly, rather than pay a one off fee.
    I've always thought it was cheaper in general to pay outright if you can afford it? Since when did paying for something over 12 months become the better option? Confused by this more than annoyed but couldn't find a suitable thread to vent.

it's an annual DD, not a monthly one
    What does that mean sorry?
    It means that if you pay by direct debit you pay £175 in a single payment once a year. There's no monthly direct debit option
  • You are all about to get flooded with the annual deluge of mail from charities asking for Christmas donations ,take part in Raffles etc.I implore you,before you part with your hard earned,please have a look at how much the CEOs of these companies trouser of your money.I give regularly to  charities but have done my research to ensure I am not providing Top Brass with Range Rovers etc.
  • You are all about to get flooded with the annual deluge of mail from charities asking for Christmas donations ,take part in Raffles etc.I implore you,before you part with your hard earned,please have a look at how much the CEOs of these companies trouser of your money.I give regularly to  charities but have done my research to ensure I am not providing Top Brass with Range Rovers etc.
    Why shouldn't CEOs of successful charities be well paid? 
  • edited October 2021
    You are all about to get flooded with the annual deluge of mail from charities asking for Christmas donations ,take part in Raffles etc.I implore you,before you part with your hard earned,please have a look at how much the CEOs of these companies trouser of your money.I give regularly to  charities but have done my research to ensure I am not providing Top Brass with Range Rovers etc.
    Agree. Charities are ultimately business with a philanthropic output. The way they create revenue and "profit" is no different from any other scale business in any other industry. Success is dependent on effective leadership, strategy and culture. To deliver that you have to pay salaries that secure and retain good people. Those salaries can often sustain the running of a Range Rover....

The alternative is that you ask everyone to work for "charity" wages, have ineffective leadership, strategy and culture, and raise less for the cause.
  • edited October 2021
    You are all about to get flooded with the annual deluge of mail from charities asking for Christmas donations ,take part in Raffles etc.I implore you,before you part with your hard earned,please have a look at how much the CEOs of these companies trouser of your money.I give regularly to  charities but have done my research to ensure I am not providing Top Brass with Range Rovers etc.
    I both agree and disagree with this. 

Generally I favour small charities for my donations. Ones run largely by volunteers who cover their own expenses and where at least 90% of what you donate will be going to the end aim with 10% going on costs. This is largely because I have personal connections to these charities - family members founded/run/are involved in them or my Dad as a retired chartered accountant sits on a number of boards of charities. 

However I am also realistic. The impact these small charities can have is huge to the people they help but is concentrated in a very small area. They can't make wholesale change or change the bigger picture or influence governments in the same way that large charities can.

Large charities are needed and by nature of being large their costs increase. They need full time staff to deliver whatever it is they do, they need staff to process the money, they need staff to look after those staff (payroll HR etc.) They will still run as efficiently as they can, although I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally they still have the end user as the aim. Obviously this means the % of your donation that covers costs rather than going direct to the cause will be lower but often you get more impact for that donation.

Regarding CEO salaries in the third sector. Compare to the salary of a CEO in the private sector in a similar organisation, same number of people, handling the same amount of money operating in the same number of counties and it will be about a third of the salary. And that's before you consider benefits like pension, healthcare, bonuses etc that you don't get in the charity sector 

You can't expect someone to do a high pressure, long hours, high skilled role for nothing no matter how passionate they are about a cause. Equally you wouldn't want them to. In order to run these organisations properly, prevent waste and actually help people you need strong leadership. You want people with the right skills and experiences in these jobs to make sure the organisation runs properly and set the direction. You can't do that if you pay nothing. Poor leadership would waste far more of your donation than the salary of good leadership.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Used think the same way as thickandthin, but realise the charity should be more successful with a decent person running it, so they should be paid the going rate.

I still choose to donate to more local charitable cause though, hospices and the like
    Agree. Charities are ultimately business with a philanthropic output. The way they create revenue and "profit" is no different from any other scale business in any other industry. Success is dependent on effective leadership, strategy and culture. To deliver that you have to pay salaries that secure and retain good people. Those salaries can often sustain the running of a Range Rover....

The alternative is that you ask everyone to work for "charity" wages, have ineffective leadership, strategy and culture, and raise less for the cause.
    This ................... says the CEO of a complex multi million turnover charity ;-)
  • holyjo said:

This ................... says the CEO of a complex multi million turnover charity ;-)
    Lend me a fiver
  • Gribbo said:
    holyjo said:

Lend me a fiver
    piss off, I'm not a charity.
  • I have no objection to decent salaries.I suppose I am a bit old fashioned by thinking people work for charities partly out of a love for the cause.(Salvation army ceo 10k a year ,a prime example)Six figure salaries quite honestly annoy me,they say we need the best talent,but who are they fighting off to employ these people.I also bear in mind that a hell of a lot of charity workers in shops,selling badges etc.work for nothing.I was approached once by a charity to do some door stepping ,i agreed until I saw the CEO was on 160k. a year.Many years ago,I drove a team around pubs collecting money,by the time every one had their bit,(We got 30%) only 10% went to charities,the other 60% went on salaries for organisers who basically sat on their arse and counted the money.So there we go,rant over,I will continue to donate to my chosen charities knowing most of my donations are being used for the cause.
  • Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

If your dog is going to run off at a tangent without any warning, maybe use a shorter lead if you're in a place with other people about eh? And it's not fecking funny either. 

Let me guess what the owner said.  'He only wants to be friendly' or 'He won't hurt you'?

• Paul Merson gets right on my jugs, unwatchable on sky so I gave his recent documentary a wide berth, I would wish him well with his issues though. 
  • I have no objection to decent salaries.I suppose I am a bit old fashioned by thinking people work for charities partly out of a love for the cause.(Salvation army ceo 10k a year ,a prime example)Six figure salaries quite honestly annoy me,they say we need the best talent,but who are they fighting off to employ these people.I also bear in mind that a hell of a lot of charity workers in shops,selling badges etc.work for nothing.I was approached once by a charity to do some door stepping ,i agreed until I saw the CEO was on 160k. a year.Many years ago,I drove a team around pubs collecting money,by the time every one had their bit,(We got 30%) only 10% went to charities,the other 60% went on salaries for organisers who basically sat on their arse and counted the money.So there we go,rant over,I will continue to donate to my chosen charities knowing most of my donations are being used for the cause.
    Out of interest how much do you think the CEO of a charity with say 300 staff , 100 volunteers ,10 million turnover , four social business streams , regulated by four different regulators , 25 sites should earn. Impacting  the lives of 15000 people a year. Genuine question  
  • Sponsored links:

• Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

If your dog is going to run off at a tangent without any warning, maybe use a shorter lead if you're in a place with other people about eh? And it's not fecking funny either. 

Let me guess what the owner said.  'He only wants to be friendly' or 'He won't hurt you'?

Always annoys me, that - my youngest really doesn't like dogs and as she's ASD she really fixates on it so she gets really worried etc when a dog is around and panicky when it starts to run over.

And then owners who can't control their dogs come out with what is effectively "he'll probably only jump up at you barking in your face, he doesn't bite people!"

Yeah, cheers for that.

Pretty much. I got the "he's only a puppy" line (it wasn't). Seemed to think it was worth a chuckle that her dog had tied itself around me like a chair leg and was now pulling at the lead to get away as I stood there like a lemon. 

I like dogs, I'm not afraid of dogs and I'd have one if my circumstances allowed. It's not the dog's fault but bugger me if I had one I guarantee it would be properly trained. 
  • The crapness of birthday cards generally. Tired clichés of gin, chocolate and hangovers, or sickly sweet cartoon animals. Choosing a card almost always seems to be about finding the least worst thing in the shop.
  • IdleHans said:
    The crapness of birthday cards generally. Tired clichés of gin, chocolate and hangovers, or sickly sweet cartoon animals. Choosing a card almost always seems to be about finding the least worst thing in the shop.
    Now thats the sign of a man thats had lots and lots of birthdays.

It was my birthday yesterday, same cards different colours.
  • IdleHans said:
    The crapness of birthday cards generally. Tired clichés of gin, chocolate and hangovers, or sickly sweet cartoon animals. Choosing a card almost always seems to be about finding the least worst thing in the shop.
    I don't do cards have the time if I'm giving a present, the card is basically at best a 2 second chuckle and then moved aside when you can make the present something nice or personal.

Even if you aren't close to someone and buying a decent present, who wouldn't rather a little box of chocolates for about the same price as the card?
  • edited October 2021
    T_C_E said:
    Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

Always annoys me, that - my youngest really doesn't like dogs and as she's ASD she really fixates on it so she gets really worried etc when a dog is around and panicky when it starts to run over.

And then owners who can't control their dogs come out with what is effectively "he'll probably only jump up at you barking in your face, he doesn't bite people!"

Yeah, cheers for that.
    Mine are here if you want help with that Neil, especially with the school holidays here. 
    All foc of course, this little lady was hysterical on arrival 50 minutes later. 

Very kind offer mate, thank you, unfortunately I don't think I could sell the idea to her in the first place!!

Pretty much. I got the "he's only a puppy" line (it wasn't). Seemed to think it was worth a chuckle that her dog had tied itself around me like a chair leg and was now pulling at the lead to get away as I stood there like a lemon. 

I like dogs, I'm not afraid of dogs and I'd have one if my circumstances allowed. It's not the dog's fault but bugger me if I had one I guarantee it would be properly trained. 

Our Border Collie has those issues, fortunately we have a first class trainer who is showing the way around it and he's responding. Early days yet, but things are looking promising.
  • T_C_E said:
    Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

Yeah, cheers for that.
    Mine are here if you want help with that Neil, especially with the school holidays here. 
    All foc of course, this little lady was hysterical on arrival 50 minutes later. 

Very kind offer mate, thank you, unfortunately I don't think I could sell the idea to her in the first place!!
    Using the schools facilities, she could view the dogs via a secure fence (think zoo ;) ) but I understand how difficult it is, this mum and child is a friend of a Charlton fan who put her in touch, I'm sure he reads here!? 
    Maybe worth a chat to her?
  • @T_C_E ,  that's the same green choke cord I had for my Humphrey from when he was about a year old. I keep it in my drawer as a momento of him
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!