Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    @T_C_E ,  that's the same green choke cord I had for my Humphrey from when he was about a year old. I keep it in my drawer as a momento of him
    Thats a little slip lead I use for the children, its very short so when they hold it they are very close to the dog. ;)
    I use, 4 foot leather/brass custom made leads expensive at £25/30 but last for years. ;)
  • T_C_E said:
    Gribbo said:
    @T_C_E ,  that's the same green choke cord I had for my Humphrey from when he was about a year old. I keep it in my drawer as a momento of him

I use a 4 foot brass - expensive at £25/30 but last for seconds

As I finished typing I thought it was likely that would happen, but I didn't expect of you @SuedeAdidas ;)
  • Haha....sorry mate - it was an open goal.... :D
  • T_C_E said:
    Gribbo said:
    Thats a little slip lead I use for the children, its very short so when they hold it they are very close to the dog. ;)
    I use, 4 foot leather/brass custom made leads expensive at £25/30 but last for years. ;)
    Yeah that's it.

Handy for taking the dogs going out for evening flight on the foreshore. Keeps the dog from bothering the Twitchers ;)

• holyjo said:
    I have no objection to decent salaries.I suppose I am a bit old fashioned by thinking people work for charities partly out of a love for the cause.(Salvation army ceo 10k a year ,a prime example)Six figure salaries quite honestly annoy me,they say we need the best talent,but who are they fighting off to employ these people.I also bear in mind that a hell of a lot of charity workers in shops,selling badges etc.work for nothing.I was approached once by a charity to do some door stepping ,i agreed until I saw the CEO was on 160k. a year.Many years ago,I drove a team around pubs collecting money,by the time every one had their bit,(We got 30%) only 10% went to charities,the other 60% went on salaries for organisers who basically sat on their arse and counted the money.So there we go,rant over,I will continue to donate to my chosen charities knowing most of my donations are being used for the cause.
    Out of interest how much do you think the CEO of a charity with say 300 staff , 100 volunteers ,10 million turnover , four social business streams , regulated by four different regulators , 25 sites should earn. Impacting  the lives of 15000 people a year. Genuine question  
    Just to give an example of ceo charity pay

Red Cross 173k turnover 261m
    Cancer research 240k turnover 621m
    Macmillan 170k turnover 190m
    Nspcc 162k turnover 106m
    National Trust 179k Turnover 494m.

These figures make a charity turnover of 10 m quite small,my opinion 50-60 k would be about right,given that the staff would all be very dedicated people and would do their work without the need for much interference from the top.
    The amount of charities paying more than the PM is enormous,even when donations fell during the pandemic,many of the top earners still got rises.I do stress this is only my personal take on this matter and obviously many will think these salaries are justifed.
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

If your dog is going to run off at a tangent without any warning, maybe use a shorter lead if you're in a place with other people about eh? And it's not fecking funny either. 

Let me guess what the owner said.  'He only wants to be friendly' or 'He won't hurt you'?

Always annoys me, that - my youngest really doesn't like dogs and as she's ASD she really fixates on it so she gets really worried etc when a dog is around and panicky when it starts to run over.

And then owners who can't control their dogs come out with what is effectively "he'll probably only jump up at you barking in your face, he doesn't bite people!"

Yeah, cheers for that.
    Mine are here if you want help with that Neil, especially with the school holidays here. 
    All foc of course, this little lady was hysterical on arrival 50 minutes later. 

Very kind offer mate, thank you, unfortunately I don't think I could sell the idea to her in the first place!!
    Using the schools facilities, she could view the dogs via a secure fence (think zoo ;) ) but I understand how difficult it is, this mum and child is a friend of a Charlton fan who put her in touch, I'm sure he reads here!? 
    Maybe worth a chat to her?
    Silly thing is that I really think something like your sessions with very well trained dogs would help her, and she'd enjoy it, but she wouldn't go for it!

We have to prepare her for going anywhere in advance, effectively, given the need for routine, the anxiety issues etc, so it has to be something she agrees to to even get her in the car!! 
  • holyjo said:
    I have no objection to decent salaries.I suppose I am a bit old fashioned by thinking people work for charities partly out of a love for the cause.(Salvation army ceo 10k a year ,a prime example)Six figure salaries quite honestly annoy me,they say we need the best talent,but who are they fighting off to employ these people.I also bear in mind that a hell of a lot of charity workers in shops,selling badges etc.work for nothing.I was approached once by a charity to do some door stepping ,i agreed until I saw the CEO was on 160k. a year.Many years ago,I drove a team around pubs collecting money,by the time every one had their bit,(We got 30%) only 10% went to charities,the other 60% went on salaries for organisers who basically sat on their arse and counted the money.So there we go,rant over,I will continue to donate to my chosen charities knowing most of my donations are being used for the cause.
    Out of interest how much do you think the CEO of a charity with say 300 staff , 100 volunteers ,10 million turnover , four social business streams , regulated by four different regulators , 25 sites should earn. Impacting  the lives of 15000 people a year. Genuine question  

Nspcc 162k turnover 106m

These figures make a charity turnover of 10 m quite small,my opinion 50-60 k would be about right,given that the staff would all be very dedicated people and would do their work without the need for much interference from the top.
    The amount of charities paying more than the PM is enormous,even when donations fell during the pandemic,many of the top earners still got rises.I do stress this is only my personal take on this matter and obviously many will think these salaries are justifed.
    I understand your point, but I think the bit that I've highlighted is the key point...this suggests that business leaders "interfere" and get in the way of very capable people doing their jobs. In good successful organisations that is rarely, if ever the case - the leadership (the ones that get paid the most but have the most accountability (and therefore risk in their role (particularly in a charity setting)) set the ambition and culture in which organisations thrive - without that businesses (and charities) stagnate and flounder. It is the leadership that you don't think is necessary which is the most essential element of success. That's why (IMO) the salaries are what they are...and rightly so.

I recognise that the overlap of "business" and "charity" can sit uncomfortably with some, and influence how people contribute.
  • holyjo said:

Nspcc 162k turnover 106m

I never understand why this comparison is constantly called out? 
    Especially with the plum that we have in charge now. My nan should be getting paid more than him....and she's been dead since 1978.

• holyjo said:

Nspcc 162k turnover 106m

I never understand why this comparison is constantly called out? 
    Especially with the plum that we have in charge now. My nan should be getting paid more than him....and she's been dead since 1978.

I never knew your dear nan,so wont dispute what you say,regardless of who is PM,they have the responsibility of the whole country on their shoulders not just one  fund raising organisation.Yes the cancer research chief has tremendous responsibilty(this is one I actually agree with),but 80k more than the pm,not sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Twonks with out of control dogs on retractable leads. Once again out for a run tonight I end up with a yappy dog 15 feet from its owner trying to bring me down like Luke Skywalker and that Imperial walker. Literally had to anchor up while this annoying furball ran around me. 

If your dog is going to run off at a tangent without any warning, maybe use a shorter lead if you're in a place with other people about eh? And it's not fecking funny either. 

Let me guess what the owner said.  'He only wants to be friendly' or 'He won't hurt you'?

Always annoys me, that - my youngest really doesn't like dogs and as she's ASD she really fixates on it so she gets really worried etc when a dog is around and panicky when it starts to run over.

And then owners who can't control their dogs come out with what is effectively "he'll probably only jump up at you barking in your face, he doesn't bite people!"

Yeah, cheers for that.
    Mine are here if you want help with that Neil, especially with the school holidays here. 
    All foc of course, this little lady was hysterical on arrival 50 minutes later. 

Very kind offer mate, thank you, unfortunately I don't think I could sell the idea to her in the first place!!
    Using the schools facilities, she could view the dogs via a secure fence (think zoo ;) ) but I understand how difficult it is, this mum and child is a friend of a Charlton fan who put her in touch, I'm sure he reads here!? 
    Maybe worth a chat to her?
    Silly thing is that I really think something like your sessions with very well trained dogs would help her, and she'd enjoy it, but she wouldn't go for it!

We have to prepare her for going anywhere in advance, effectively, given the need for routine, the anxiety issues etc, so it has to be something she agrees to to even get her in the car!! 
    The offer is open ended mate, we are always here. 👍
  • holyjo said:
    Just done some calculating,if 400 staff and all the other technical support you mention can only generate 10m then to me the CEO needs replacing not taking a salary.300 staff on 20k takes up 6m without the rest of it.
  • Ffs 13th October and Christmas tv ad on.
  • William Shatner’s space trip. 

Anybody would think he has landed on the space station, done a space walk and repaired the thrust motor whilst outside.

His entire trip/publicity stunt lasted 11 minutes from take off to landing whilst sitting in a comfy seat.
  • I love the excuses for not giving to charity. 

If the CEO and SMT can justify their salaries by generating money I can’t understand the problem. I could run a charity for a low wage. But it would go bust because I don’t have the skill or knowledge needed to generate the income needed.
  • You don’t need an excuse to not give to charity. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    You don’t need an excuse to not give to charity. 
    Some do though.
  • iainment said:
    I love the excuses for not giving to charity. 

If the CEO and SMT can justify their salaries by generating money I can’t understand the problem. I could run a charity for a low wage. But it would go bust because I don’t have the skill or knowledge needed to generate the income needed.
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Key board got stuck,if you are referring to me,I can assure you,I give very generously out of my meagre pensions regularly to charities near to my heart.local animal charities,childrens hospices and others where I can see were my money goes.
  • iainment said:

Who says it's an excuse? Perhaps those who give proportionately more have more of an impetus to ensure their money is used wisely.
  • rather than reviewing the individual salary of the CEO might be better to view the percentage of donations that is used in cause as opposed to being used for admin
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Key board got stuck,if you are referring to me,I can assure you,I give very generously out of my meagre pensions regularly to charities near to my heart.local animal charities,childrens hospices and others where I can see were my money goes.
    Well, your keyboard certainly gives generously ;)
  • I sometimes donate cans of food at the supermarket to the Bexley food bank. 

I always imagined it was run by a group of local volunteers, but because of this thread I delved a little deeper and found it was part of the Trussell Trust that supports 1200 food banks.  The CEO Emma Revie is on about 80K, that's ok with me, I shall continue to donate my tin cans, I can't see the management nicking them.

BTW Always worth checking before you donate to find out what's needed.

https://bexley.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/donate-food/
  • Charities need to bring in the best people to make money, their income generation departments specifically tend to have well paid SMT members as a result. They make the charity far more than they cost. 
  • Stig said:
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Embarrissing,I have a Parkinsons tremor and sometimes cant get my finger of the poxy button before the above happens.
  • people having a loud sound tone for their text messages. 
  • Stig said:
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Embarrissing,I have a Parkinsons tremor and sometimes cant get my finger of the poxy button before the above happens.
    Please don't be embarrassed. Here's wishing you all the best. 
  • Having an argument with Alexa over the volume.........
    "Alexa............volume up"
    "Alexa........... volume up to 10"
    "Feckin ell, is hearing going? Alexa volume up"
    "Feckin 'ell Alexa what's going on, I cant hear it"
    "ah bollox Alexa, my wife turned the volume down on the amp"

• Stig said:
    Stig said:
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Please don't be embarrassed. Here's wishing you all the best. 
    Cheers,its a pain in the arse at times,but there are a lot worse off than me .
  • My wife shutting the car door nigh takes all the windows out, when you mention it she spends the next three weeks making three or four attempts to close it properly. FFS
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!