Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tube strike this week ON

Comments

• Options
    I know its difficult,but try to take Crowe out of all this.
    And the football.

Would you feel different about people protecting their jobs,by voting FOR strike action (I believe by 4 to 1) then ?
  • Options
    Yeah MOG, it's a scumbag move, in any situation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]I know its difficult,but try to take Crowe out of all this.
    And the football.

Would you feel different about people protecting their jobs,by voting FOR strike action (I believe by 4 to 1) then ?

I mentioned the 4-1 vote earlier today but its that nasty Crow who's making his membership vote his way, in a secret ballot, thats making the headlines.
    Like him or lothe him (I have no great feelings one way or the other) he dosnt back down and stands by his words. His union has shown a bit of backbone something sadly lacking in recent years by other unions.
  • Options
    I know it sounds daft,but he's abit like thatcher.
    He says something & sticks to it.
    Don't get me wrong, i HATE thatcher (I've got a bottle of champagne ready for when she goes.....)but,I think she was the last politican who said something AND stuck to her word.
  • Options
    not 100% on this out of 10k members only 3k bothered to vote so to get the majority vote only needed just over 1.5k
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]I know it sounds daft,but he's abit like thatcher.
    He says something & sticks to it.
    Don't get me wrong, i HATE thatcher (I've got a bottle of champagne ready for when she goes.....)but,I think she was the last politican who said something AND stuck to her word.

Champagne???!!!
    I'm having Yorkshire BITTER.
    She was a strong leader like leaders should be, done somethings right and a lot wrong. I think their is more to being a leader than sticking your chest out and ignoring advice from others who know better. Hate her.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]not 100% on this out of 10k members only 3k bothered to vote so to get the majority vote only needed just over 1.5k

Well theres a lesson to people not to waste their vote.
  • Options
    5 of us were going to the England game. But as the FA will refund we're not going to go through all that hassle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]With respect to the figures....having just run a report to see yesterdays Oyster usage and compared it to the same point last year......the figures have increased. Appreciate this is only one day in 365 but I can't get the figures for an entire period with my level of access.

So this doesn't include commuters who come in from outside the Oyster card zone... ie those that still have a paper ticket as their travelcard?

Yup....just Oyster figures...but as a point of note an Oyster card can be loaded with a season ticket / Travelcard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]not 100% on this out of 10k members only 3k bothered to vote so to get the majority vote only needed just over 1.5k

Boris said this today in the Metro! I suppose it is partly true but as a democratic union 'we' have decided to strike. If someone chooses not to vote it is a non entity. If you were to apply the same logic to the recent EU elections where there was also only about a third turn out are we saying that the seats that were won by the Conservatives, Labour, UKIP etc etc do not count as they are not representative of the voting public? All the members knew what they were voting for or against and had a choice to vote in favour, against or not to vote at all. The vote is still representative of the members and voter apathy kind of goes out the window.

I know quite a few members that did not vote but now the decison has come back to strike they are still supporting the decison. The members want the union to support them and vice versa. As CK and MOG have already mentioned whatever your thoughts on the matter at least the union sticks buy its members and follows through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have had reports if anyone is still out there travelling

Northern Line still running at present
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]With respect to the figures....having just run a report to see yesterdays Oyster usage and compared it to the same point last year......the figures have increased. Appreciate this is only one day in 365 but I can't get the figures for an entire period with my level of access.

So this doesn't include commuters who come in from outside the Oyster card zone... ie those that still have a paper ticket as their travelcard?

Yup....just Oyster figures...but as a point of note an Oyster card can be loaded with a season ticket / Travelcard.

Don't believe I can with mine - weekly/monthly tickets from the darkside... also then doesnt include those that buy one day travelcards via rail stations
  • Options
    Don't believe I can with mine - weekly/monthly tickets from the darkside... also then doesnt include those that buy one day travelcards via rail stations

Or people who don't have oyster cards because they don't want 'the man' knowing every last place they travel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]

Or people who don't have oyster cards because they don't want 'the man' knowing every last place they travel.
    And you don't even know the half of it... Believe me.
  • Options
    When it comes to industrial action unions blame management and management blames unions.

The one constant fact though is that it is always the innocent public who suffer through no fault of their own and it seems to me that often neither management nor the unions give a toss.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that a less than 100% supported strike could see the beginning of the end for Bob the Knob. Boris was always going to go after him and the RMT have picked the wrong fight at the wrong time. I may be wrong, but let's hope not. As for the taxi drivers being sidled up to by Crowe, this Would be a disaster for both of them. Taxi drivers are fantastically well off as it is and the end of their greed would be hastened by moving to a union with the a militant RMT. It would be far too easy for the mayor to deregulate the taxi trade in London, leaving black cabs to fight for their trade with mini cabs if he felt that they and RMT were going to work together and cripple London when their eyes were filled with £ signs. Bob is making a big mistake if he thinks boris is the bufoon the press make him out to be.
  • Options
    I suppose if you're going to withdraw your labour then going in as hard and as nasty as possible is better than a token protest easily forgotten.
    I admit to being annoyed at Mr Crowe interviewed on BBC London yesterday morning when he repeatedly said that they were hoping for/close to 'resolvement' when he meant 'resolution', but maybe I am being pedantic here, and expect Union leaders to use English well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I suppose if you're going to withdraw your labour then going in as hard and as nasty as possible is better than a token protest easily forgotten.
    I admit to being annoyed at Mr Crowe interviewed on BBC London yesterday morning when he repeatedly said that they were hoping for/close to 'resolvement' when he meant 'resolution', but maybe I am being pedantic here, and expect Union leaders to use English well.

I really don't see an issue with him not being able to speak the Queen's English. Far more important will be his ability to count.....his money!
  • Options
    Absolute chaos in London today, and I don't even use the tube!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Absolute chaos in London today, and I don't even use the tube![/quote]

Got to work fine in fact very nice stroll through St James park

Then hit with a mass picket line at St James Park Tube so many people just like the miners strike police everywhere.

OK there were just 2 RMT people there LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Absolute chaos in London today, and I don't even use the tube!

Got to work fine in fact very nice stroll through St James park

Then hit with a mass picket line at St James Park Tube so many people just like the miners strike police everywhere.

OK there were just 2 RMT people there LOL

Give over the rest are still in bed.

Does anyone really expect RMT workers to be showing their face to Joe Public (including the likes of Nurses trying to get to work in London)?
  • Options
    A half empty wembley because of this strike is hardly going to help our chances for our 2018 World Cup bid.

There will be plenty of people at FIFA absolutely delighted with Mr Crowes Union.
  • Options
    I'm all for Workers Rights and like the fact a particular union pays more than just lip service to its members. But the top of the RMT, and Crow in particular are as much in it for their own noteriety than they are for their actual workers rights.

Believe me, this is a just a big warm up for the Olympics, where once again they will utilise the needs of the public, and the publicity of major events, to exhort their sense of power.
  • Options
    Got some RMT 'erberts outside London Underground on High Holborn near my building - said to the bloke surprised he wasn't wearing body armour - and he said I think I might have to soon getting severe stick from people - and cut me off mid flow when i was aobut to say well what do you expect.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the sentiment about the right to strike for a valid reason. This simply isn't the case here.

So,perhaps there could be some sort of reciprocal arrangement for this strike - say in return for the GMT denying ordinary people the right to get to work on time, make hosptital appointments etc etc, they go to the back of the queue when it comes to utilising other services e.g. the National Health.

That might make a few of them think twice about taking action and force the vast majority who didn't vote to do so.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Got some RMT 'erberts outside London Underground on High Holborn near my building - said to the bloke surprised he wasn't wearing body armour - and he said I think I might have to soon getting severe stick from people - and cut me off mid flow when i was aobut to say well what do you expect.

you must work near me, saw those blokes (and a woman) as well - they had leaflet's explaining their point of view, but I didn't see many people taking them.

Lots of the central London lines are now up and running, does that mean lots crossed the picket line ?
  • Options
    Just a update for anyone not left for work

Northern running with only minor delays as is the Jubilee - Check what stations they are stopping at.
    District only a service between Wimbledon & High St Kens
    Met Wembley to Baker st
    Picc Arnos to Cockfosters
    Vic Seven Sisters to Victoria
    BAkerloo Ele to Queens Park
    C&H Baker St to Hammersmith
  • Options
    I don't know the rights and wrongs of this strike, but if a group of people are savvy enough to organise themselves to not work all at the same time can they be forced to? I mean it's farcical to say to a tube driver 'drive that train'
    they then say 'no', what do you do next? Drive it yourself? The tories brought in loads of laws to curb trade unions and so on, but in the end you can't put, I dunno, 5,000 train drivers in prison all at the same time, all for refusing to drive trains.
    In the end there has to be another way, but as with wars, it's either a crushing victory/defeat...or negotiation. The RMT are using the art of war, 'engage your enemy at a time and a place of YOUR choosing, not a time and a place of THEIR choosing'.
  • Options
    A lot of ASLEF drivers would have come in
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]A lot of ASLEF drivers would have come in[/quote]

Yes they have