Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THE 'OTHER' TAKEOVER THREAD (FOR PROPER CHARLTON)

Comments

• Options
    we were wondering the same seemed to be sitting were bob whitehand/head would normally be and was being introduced to all we will have to wait and see but i think that may be our man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we were wondering the same seemed to be sitting were bob whitehand/head would normally be and was being introduced to all we will have to wait and see but i think that may be our man

Mate, you have to tell us what you overheard. A whisper will do.
  • Options
    Did he have a nurse sat next to him?
  • Options
    Saw the piece on Sky sports and all they said was they didn't know about the takeover, thats all. Nothing about the takeover falling through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we were wondering the same seemed to be sitting were bob whitehand/head would normally be and was being introduced to all we will have to wait and see but i think that may be our man

Mate, you have to tell us what you overheard. A whisper will do.

Yeah.I'll have some.It's Sunday.Everyone's still in bed.
  • Options
    does no one ever think to

1. Ask the person

2. Use their phones to take a picture
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]does no one ever think to

1. Ask the person

2. Use their phones to take a picture

Suppose you don`t speak american ?
  • Options
    Is that the rumour then.YANKS!. For the love of god NO!
  • Options
    "Hello Mr Swarthy man, what are you doing here at football match?"

I would avoid anyone mad enough to buy us. . .
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AEG is the rumour. They were interested in buying us a few years ago, and this was widely reported in the press at the time. People have put two and two together to make five and place them back in the frame. Certainly if several potential groups have had talks re a takeover as rumoured, I'd be surprised if AEG weren't amongst them, but there's nothing to suggest they're the ones still in the frame. If they are I doubt Philip Anshutz himself would be heavily involved on the ground, and don't know how high up the food chain those gladhanding RM at The Valley would be. Certainly if anyone sees this bloke (their European CEO) at the ground, feel free to crank up the rumour mill:

Click here for grinning man in front of Dome

FYI: Anschutz Entertainment Group has stakes in two U.S. soccer teams, MLS's Los Angeles Galaxy and Houston Dynamo; the NHL's Los Angeles Kings; the AHL's Manchester Monarchs; the ECHL's Reading Royals; the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers; Staples Center; Home Depot Center; Major League Lacrosse LA Riptide; the Swedish soccer team Hammarby IF, Swedish hockey team Djurgårdens IF; the German ice hockey teams Hamburg Freezers and Eisbären Berlin; and the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. In the UK they own the Manchester Evening News Arena, the London Arena, and the Millennium Dome which has been redeveloped as a multi-purpose arena under the name "The O2".

Interesting that they own two major rivals in Stockholm (OK not in the same sport, but most people support either one or the other in everything), wonder how that goes down among the fans. They also own some fairly small clubs attendance wise (the ice hockey teams only have 12k stadiums) so an AEG move for third division Charlton is feasible. I suspect the valuation of the club is the issue - if they were considering buying us, as press reports said, when we were in the PL, how much will the price need to have fallen by for them to be considering putting us in their shopping basket today?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]Anyone know who the two were sitting to the right of Richard Murray - swarthy looking chap next to Murray and a more pasty faced individual to the right of him?

do you mean the tanned chap in the blue jacket???

Sorry to disapoint you but it was Sir Maurice Hatter, our life president not a potential future owner
  • Options
    ballcocks brunello bang goes the theory.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]AEG is the rumour. They were interested in buying us a few years ago, and this was widely reported in the press at the time. People have put two and two together to make five and place them back in the frame. Certainly if several potential groups have had talks re a takeover as rumoured, I'd be surprised if AEG weren't amongst them, but there's nothing to suggest they're the ones still in the frame. If they are I doubt Philip Anshutz himself would be heavily involved on the ground, and don't know how high up the food chain those gladhanding RM at The Valley would be. Certainly if anyone sees this bloke (their European CEO) at the ground, feel free to crank up the rumour mill:

Click here for grinning man in front of Dome

FYI: Anschutz Entertainment Group has stakes in two U.S. soccer teams, MLS's Los Angeles Galaxy and Houston Dynamo; the NHL's Los Angeles Kings; the AHL's Manchester Monarchs; the ECHL's Reading Royals; the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers; Staples Center; Home Depot Center; Major League Lacrosse LA Riptide; the Swedish soccer team Hammarby IF, Swedish hockey team Djurgårdens IF; the German ice hockey teams Hamburg Freezers and Eisbären Berlin; and the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. In the UK they own the Manchester Evening News Arena, the London Arena, and the Millennium Dome which has been redeveloped as a multi-purpose arena under the name "The O2".

Interesting that they own two major rivals in Stockholm (OK not in the same sport, but most people support either one or the other in everything), wonder how that goes down among the fans. They also own some fairly small clubs attendance wise (the ice hockey teams only have 12k stadiums) so an AEG move for third division Charlton is feasible. I suspect the valuation of the club is the issue - if they were considering buying us, as press reports said, when we were in the PL, how much will the price need to have fallen by for them to be considering putting us in their shopping basket today?
    Very interesting, F&H! Amongst AEG's stellar portfolio of leisure and sports properties is, along with the O2, another one close to home: they own Thames Clipper.
  • Options
    Someone outside the ground said the takeover will be completed this week and the buyers are from South Africa. We shall wait and see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Someone outside the ground said .....

well that narrows it down ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]Anyone know who the two were sitting to the right of Richard Murray - swarthy looking chap next to Murray and a more pasty faced individual to the right of him?

do you mean the tanned chap in the blue jacket???

Sorry to disapoint you but it was Sir Maurice Hatter, our life president not a potential future owner

Just looked his picture up on the net - yes, that was the man I saw, thanks for clearing that up Brunello
  • Options
    This is starting to resemble the episode of Only Fools and Horses where the Trotters are fingered for coming into possession of a (then frankly space age) microwave oven and all three Trotters give conflicting reports of the person who really stole the item and who the police should be looking out for, when Inspector Slater (Jim Broadbent) reads back the description it is not unlike who may or may not be taking us over!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]This is starting to resemble the episode of Only Fools and Horses where the Trotters are fingered for coming into possession of a (then frankly space age) microwave oven and all three Trotters give conflicting reports of the person who really stole the item and who the police should be looking out for, when Inspector Slater (Jim Broadbent) reads back the description it is not unlike who may or may not be taking us over!
    (The Trotters are in seperate cells, the scene shifts to each of them one by one)
    Slater: Right! Down to business! The face that dropped the microwave oven in the market! What did he look like?
    Del: Oh, he was about average height.
    Grandad: He was a great big tall fella!
    Rodney: Oh, he was little more than a dwarf!
    Slater: Age?
    Rodney: About 25.
    Grandad: Middle 50's!
    Del: He was just a kid!
    Slater: What about his ethnic group?
    Del: Well, I didn't notice anyone with him!
    Slater: No, I mean was he Caucasian?
    Grandad: No he was a white fella!
    Rodney: He was African, I think!
  • Options
    I'm never going to be able to see Lennie Lawrence again without thinking of the Eiffel Tower now. Terrible thread. Sink it!
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Daily mail reporting takeover finalised and will be signed early this week. Source close to the club saying it's in the best interest of the club.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Anyone got the Mail on Sunday and can quickly type the story out? It doesn't appear on the website, but it does come from Mick Collins (even though they gave him the wrong byline.)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I'm never going to be able to see Lennie Lawrence again without thinking of the Eiffel Tower now. Terrible thread. Sink it!
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Daily mail reporting takeover finalised and will be signed early this week. Source close to the club saying it's in the best interest of the club.

Anyone got the Mail on Sunday and can quickly type the story out? It doesn't appear on the website, but it does come from Mick Collins (even though they gave him the wrong byline.)

I was particularly impressed that the SLP managed to misspell their own reporter's name on their latest takeover story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hahaha! I'll have to check it on Tuesday to see if it says "South Lodnon Press" in its masthead.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I'm never going to be able to see Lennie Lawrence again without thinking of the Eiffel Tower now. Terrible thread. Sink it!

I thought reserves was taking the p*ss out of the original Mail article that said it was off, to be honest. I'm probably wrong though.
  • Options
    i'll type it up
  • Options
    Rob Draper, Chief Football Writer, MoS

TAKEOVER SEALS CHARLTON'S FUTURE

Charlton's immediate financial future, which has been looking bleak over recent months, has now been assured, with a takeover agreed and likely to be announced in the next few days.

The club, once talked of as one of football's most shrewdly run, are deeply in debt amid rumours of administration following two relegations in three years that have seen them fall into League One. The threat of player sales being required to keep them afloat has now been lifted, however, and manager Phil parkinson has been told he can proceed with signings he had been forced to delay until the takeover has been completed.

A source close to the club said "The deal is now, finally, agreed and fully thrashed out and will be signed very early next week. Its in the best interests of everyone and, most importantly, offers the best future for the club"
  • Options
    Thanks for that AFKA. Hope it's true. If it goes through I'd expect to see us sign a player or two in the next week or so as well.
  • Options
    interesting. Who are/is these new investors. never has there been such a well kept secret.
  • Options
    Thanks AFKA.
  • Options
    I heard Keith Peacock talking to some men in the car park yesterday, and he said 'It will be interesting to see what happens when the new lot come in" unfortunately I didn't hear much else because my 6 year old son wouldn't stop talking to me. It might just be new caterers for all I now!!!
  • Options
    Where's that Argos catalogue - we'll have one from the 'goal machine striker' section please!

But it struck me last night that we are going to need some strength in depth to get out of this league with a whopping 24 teams in it - that's a lot of games and injuries can really mess up your chances methinks....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Upthevalley[/cite]I heard Keith Peacock talking to some men in the car park yesterday, and he said 'It will be interesting to see what happens when the new lot come in" unfortunately I didn't hear much else because my 6 year old son wouldn't stop talking to me. It might just be new caterers for all I now!!!

Tarmacing of the cark park?