Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE 'OTHER' TAKEOVER THREAD (FOR PROPER CHARLTON)

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Also said what he was saying a few weeks ago
    "I'm still speaking to agents and players about the possibility of people coming in, but it's difficult because we don't know which market we're shopping in.

"Of course, we've made plans for all scenarios, and hopefully we'll be able to improve the squad and not allow anyone to leave.

Does suggest there would be some money coming in for transfers if the takeover goes through.
  • The scenario we are faced with is both exiting and worrying imho. If things pan out well in the next day or two then we can hope that a little money might be spent on the squad and we can hold on to that midfield. If by the end of the weekend nothing is happening on the takeover then the existing board will I have no doubt have to sell a player or two in order to keep things together financially. We just have to hope that the former of the two is going to happen. I cannot see any reason to hope that things will resolve in a day or so given that the saga has dragged on for so long. Would be such a shame to lose Bailey or Racon at this stage. Needs must I suppose.
  • Regardless of whether the window closes today or next week we still will not be certain that those who we want to stay will. They can still quite easily go out on loan with a view to permanent in January etc.
  • Presumably we have some money from the Gray transfer to spend...as well as the wages that have been freed up.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Regardless of whether the window closes today or next week we still will not be certain that those who we want to stay will. They can still quite easily go out on loan with a view to permanent in January etc.

does that include PL clubs as well ? To be honest I can't see the point in say Bailey going to Forest when we are Clubs of similar stature and will be in the same division again next season. Uprooting your family for the sake of a few months seems unlikely to me. Now if it were Wolves, Brum etc that'll be different.
  • Havent Fulham just got Greening on a loan from WBA? Or is that ok because it is in the window?
  • I think the OS article is trying to prepare us for the fact that the takeover may well run into September and we may have to continue waiting patiently for some new faces. I don't mind loans as we'll still be able to get the same players, just on loan with a view to a perm in Jan. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later though!
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Presumably we have some money from the Gray transfer to spend...as well as the wages that have been freed up.

Not IMHO, we have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

[cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The scenario we are faced with is both exiting and worrying imho. If things pan out well in the next day or two then we can hope that a little money might be spent on the squad and we can hold on to that midfield. If by the end of the weekend nothing is happening on the takeover then the existing board will I have no doubt have to sell a player or two in order to keep things together financially. We just have to hope that the former of the two is going to happen. I cannot see any reason to hope that things will resolve in a day or so given that the saga has dragged on for so long. Would be such a shame to lose Bailey or Racon at this stage. Needs must I suppose.

Agree with that other than I'm not sure the transfer window is a deadline for the buyers.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I think the OS article is trying to prepare us for the fact that the takeover may well run into September and we may have to continue waiting patiently for some new faces. I don't mind loans as we'll still be able to get the same players, just on loan with a view to a perm in Jan. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later though!

not necessarily. What if Southend were prepared to sell Barnard now on the basis they could get in a replacement before the window closed. Doesn't follow that that players Club will allow him to join Southend on loan or maybe he'll join another Club on loan instead. Southend would be unwilling then to loan Barnard. We lose out, as with Puncheon already.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Presumably we have some money from the Gray transfer to spend...as well as the wages that have been freed up.

Not IMHO, we have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

[cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The scenario we are faced with is both exiting and worrying imho. If things pan out well in the next day or two then we can hope that a little money might be spent on the squad and we can hold on to that midfield. If by the end of the weekend nothing is happening on the takeover then the existing board will I have no doubt have to sell a player or two in order to keep things together financially. We just have to hope that the former of the two is going to happen. I cannot see any reason to hope that things will resolve in a day or so given that the saga has dragged on for so long. Would be such a shame to lose Bailey or Racon at this stage. Needs must I suppose.

Agree with that other than I'm not sure the transfer window is a deadline for the buyers.

Didn`t mean to imply that I thought the transfer window closing was a deadline for any buyers but more that I think that if the takeover does drag on then the current board will have to make plans in order to get funds in to get through the coming months on the assumption that a takeover might not happen and therefore have to sell one of our assets. Like I said it would be such a shame if the takeover is done by say late september but we have already had to sell to get there.
  • Sponsored links:

• until it's signed, sealed and delivered it could collapse at any given moment. If not completed in the next 48 hrs I can see us having to sell a player in order to keep the Club running if the takeover does fall through in the next few weeks. If not the current Board would be left with no takeover and no funds to keep the Club running.
  • have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

Couldn't you just say that the predicted loss won't be quite as bad?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

well, a smaller projected overspend means you are not spending as much which might not necessarily lead to a not as bad as predicted loss because it may be compensated by a lower than projected income stream meaning less spending, less income, same projected loss.
  • I'm trying to prepare myself for us losing Jonjo in next few days. Be nice to him and his family at Tranmere, please, everyone...
  • Parky sounds a little desperate in his interview today and who can blame him, great start which could be ruined by the current status of the club.

His quote:-

"Of course, we've made plans for all scenarios, and hopefully we'll be able to improve the squad and not allow anyone to leave"

is a concern as it is the first time he has really mentioned the possibility of someone leaving.

Let's hope this takeove can get wrapped up tomorrow, if not I am bracing myself for the exit of Shelvey at least.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

couldn't you learn to quote correctly and stop being such a pedant.
  • Having raised £1.6M from the sales of Hudson & Gray (which is about £1M more than I thought we'd get) I'm hopeful that we won't have to sell anyone else if we expect the takeover to complete between September and December.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

Surely you mean "Couldn't you learn to quote correctly and stop being such a pedant?", don't you?
  • no, it was a rhetorical question : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]have a smaller projected overspend for the current year.

Because every time I click on the BBCode thing it reverts back to Text mode on my PC.

I blame the overspend at CL Admin HQ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Except then for some reason...
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]no, it was a rhetorical question : - )
    There's no answer to that ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Except then for some reason...

LOL Caught red handed, bang to rights.
  • Still it's an historic day.

Richard Murray said "we've about as much chance of being taken over as BFR has of ever quoting correctly"

Put that Champagne on ice
  • Covered End said:

"Having raised £1.6M from the sales of Hudson & Gray (which is about £1M more than I thought we'd get) I'm hopeful that we won't have to sell anyone else if we expect the takeover to complete between September and December."

I'd love to think you were rigth mate, but I somehow suspect that the Board budgeted for several £M in player sales if no takeover - so bye, bye Jonjo...
  • Not sure jonjo will be the right one if we are forced to sell, I would have thought his value would continue to rise as he improves and gets older. Also not a good move for him to have to start again at a new club where he might start out on the bench. Might make better sense to sell one of the more senior pros and unfortunately Bailey would fit the bill. A few rave reviews in a struggling team and the comment about hoping we could hold on to Bailey sounds like a come and get him plea from parky. We have probably had an offer and want to start a mini bidding war to up the money from a decent championship side I would imagine or possibly a prem lower side.

NOT FACT
  • Wouldnt worry about it what will be will be

Uncle hasnt stopped posting just proberly taking a few things into perspective as he seemed to get a bit peeved with some of what was being written on here,

It has been said all pre season and all season that he is going but he signed and is still here so we cant do anything about it

I think all this steams from the Takeover not happening yet,

i also think that it is potentially good news that we have not heard anything, the talks about the arabs being back in may be true as the DD process would proberly have to be done again, and i was led to believe that we were close to hearing someting this week, If we have not heard i would pressume that things are still ongoing because of new interest (i dont know if that is true) but it certainly makes more senswe than the TO has collapsed because the Club would have had to have come out and said something
  • If and when this takeover goes through or fails, will the powers above be allowed to give us full details of what has happened in the timeline or would it still have to be kept under wraps?
  • I think it might depend on what Henners calls the "projected overspend" is...let's say the amount is around £1m, if so then selling Bailey would fit that gap, if the projected loss is nearer £2m then we either sell two/three players - getting shot of Fleetwood and Dickson for example as well as Bailey, or we keep them and sell Shelvey instead.

On the otherhand we need to get rid of Moo2 one way or the other, clearly he'll never play a First Team match again (excepting a massive injury crisis etc) getting money for him and his wages off the balance sheet is necessary and maybe persuading Gillingham to up their bid for Dickson.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]If and when this takeover goes through or fails, will the powers above be allowed to give us full details of what has happened in the timeline or would it still have to be kept under wraps?

i don't think they'll want to advertise fully the amount of 'real' debt the club is in cos no one would want to takeover then, hence how slow this process/non procees has become (my opinion and tuppence worth of crap,if you can't beat em.....)