Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2010

Comments

• Options
    Opened a Betfred account just for this last night, as was best price for Snowy Morning at 16/1, stuck a £10 on. was tempted to put £20 but didnt get my free bet? dunno why as deposited £30, transfered others to poker to try it out
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    Sorry if i've missed it somewhere on here but am I right in thinking the only actual bookies, i.e. not solely online, that offers 1-5 places is Paddy Power?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Opened a Betfred account just for this last night, as was best price for Snowy Morning at 16/1, stuck a £10 on. was tempted to put £20 but didnt get my free bet? dunno why as deposited £30, transfered others to poker to try it out

I think some sites only give your free bet once your original bet has been settled. Therefore you should have the free bet on your account 5pm on saturday.
  • Options
    The 140 on Ballyfitz is all gone.

66/1 still available in places but you might have to be quick given that it is currently 65-70 on Betfair.
  • Options
    So Peanuts what are your tips then ?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Sorry if i've missed it somewhere on here but am I right in thinking the only actual bookies, i.e. not solely online, that offers 1-5 places is Paddy Power?

Bet365 & Victor Chandler are 1-5 places aswell.

Blue Square also (I think)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]So Peanuts what are your tips then ?

I reckon winner will be one of:
    Hello Bud
    Snowy Morning
    Niche Market
    Don't Push It

Place potential:
    Big Fella Thanks
    Erics Charm

Good luck
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Opened a Betfred account just for this last night, as was best price for Snowy Morning at 16/1, stuck a £10 on. was tempted to put £20 but didnt get my free bet? dunno why as deposited £30, transfered others to poker to try it out

I think some sites only give your free bet once your original bet has been settled. Therefore you should have the free bet on your account 5pm on saturday.

yeah mate i emailed them, was out of the terms on conditions which wasnt clear had to bet at least £25 but cos i emailed them they said to email them once race finished and they will put £20 in my account :-) lol sorted

Put another 2 on today lunchtime, £2.50 eachway on Joe lively 66/1 and Cloudy lane 40/1 so total bet £10 gotta win on one of these three! although knowing my luck 2 will go on the first and one on the last when wel placed ......well see
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]

Hello Bud
    Snowy Morning
    Niche Market
    Don't Push It

I hope you are right, i just put them 4 on along with State of Play!

Place potential:
    Big Fella Thanks
    Erics Charm

Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    creasote is meant to be good over fences
  • Options
    Any thoughts re Vic Venturi?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]creasote is meant to be good over fences

My moneys with 'dusty rug'.....never been beaten.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Any thoughts re Vic Venturi?

On the plus side, won the Becher Chase over the National fences in November.
    Negatives: has had 2 runs at 3.5 miles+ (both in the Irish Nat) and not done particularly well. Also has a big weight to carry at 11-06.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I make time of Topham approx 5 mins 27 secs - consistent with Good ground

Mullins should have kept Dooneys Gate in the National
  • Options
    Does'nt mean a lot as probably wont be right but here are my picks.
    Win Niche Market 18/1
    Win State Of Play 20/1
    EW Arbor Supreme 18/1
    EW Dream Alliance 40/1

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/horseracing/uk-irish/Aintree/mhr/285115-2-20100410-Aintree-6.html
  • Options
    done what initially caught my eye when weights first announced. (wish i'd had the courage to get the ante-post odds then)

snowy morning win 17.5 place 5
    dream alliance win 50 place 11

all with betfair.

(everyone lump on niche market, as thats the one that was swaying me, but never change a bet blah blah..........)
  • Options
    dont push it ew great bet
  • Options
    State of play well backed today
  • Options
    Peanuts can I just pick your brains please?

I'm not doubting your picks for a second, you've more than earned respect on here with your past successes but what is stopping you from putting a line through Niche Market and Don't Push It given their weight (11st 4 and 11st 5 respectively). I like the look of both of these for different reasons but the weight is putting me off, something that obviously didn't happen for you so i'm just wondering why.

Do they just show such strength in other areas they simply MUST be considered, or do you think that the rapidly drying ground makes the increased weight so much more bearable?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]

Hello Bud
    Snowy Morning
    Niche Market
    Don't Push It

Place potential:
    Big Fella Thanks
    Erics Charm

Good luck

Ok as you picked last year's winner, I've done the lot.

As my middle name is Jonah I suggest everyone else steers well clear :-)

& Thanks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Peanuts can I just pick your brains please?

I'm not doubting your picks for a second, you've more than earned respect on here with your past successes but what is stopping you from putting a line through Niche Market and Don't Push It given their weight (11st 4 and 11st 5 respectively). I like the look of both of these for different reasons but the weight is putting me off, something that obviously didn't happen for you so i'm just wondering why.

Do they just show such strength in other areas they simply MUST be considered, or do you think that the rapidly drying ground makes the increased weight so much more bearable?

Thanks for the compliments ISLS. Naturally, I'm due a blank but I use a scoring system that looks at a range of factors and the specific experience of each horse in the field.

According to my model, the weight incurs a penalty but given the handicapper’s increasing compression of the weights (all first 4 last year carried 11 stone+) you can no longer put a line through a runner because of the weight he carries. My system penalises horses carrying more than 11.01 and increases the penalty at 11-06+ and 11-09+. This is regardless of likely ground – there have been placed horses in recent years carrying big weights on soft or heavy going [The Thinker & Suny Bay]).

But, as you suggest, there are compensating factors for certain horses.

In Niche Market’s case:
    • Irish National winner (the Irish Nat, along with the Welsh Nat, the Hennessy and the Gold Cup, has a good correlation with GN success)
    • Strong, close 2nd in Aon Chase in February. Good correlation of GN winners with strong performances in quality 3 mile+ chases in same season
    • Pure stats but has run 5 times since 1st Sept and less than 25 days since last run are a component of classic GN winner profile.

In Don’t Push It’s case:
    • Has made the frame in all three 3 mile+ chases.
    • That included a strong 2nd (staying on under big weight) in 3.5 mile chase at Cheltenham in November
    • Again 4 runs in season and 23 days since last run fit the profile.

Could be horribly wrong but if you have a stat-based model you need to go with the results.

Bon chance
  • Options
    Interesting reasoning and all the best... I promise I won't be bleating on here if your reassurances come to nothing ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    Ok as you picked last year's winner, I've done the lot.

As my middle name is Jonah I suggest everyone else steers well clear :-)

& Thanks

Cheers Covered End. Actually the record for my stats-based model is a bit longer than that:

2006: winner (Numbersixvalverde) & 4th (Nil Desperandum) from 6 selections
    2007: 2nd (McKelvey-recommended on this board) from 3 selections
    2008: winner (Comply Or Die), 2nd (King Johns Castle) & 4th (Slim Pickings) from 5 selections (recommended here)
    2009: winner (Mon Mome) from 6 selections (recommended here, though I screwed it for many by erroneously suggesting he needed it soft)

The model evolves every year with the addition of new data. Of course it will fail spectacularly in some years (probably this one, as it’s a particularly competitive field) but it’s a long term, percentage game.

Anyway, there are plenty of other strong contenders recommended by others in this thread. Good luck to all.

Let’s hope it’s a cracking race with no fatalities.
  • Options
    wot abaht backstage?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]wot abaht backstage?

Positives: handled National fences nicely in Foxhunters last year over 2.75 miles (though never really in contention to win) / 2 wins from 3 chases at 3 miles+ (only defeat on soft ground – tomorrow’s going is his preferred Good) / canny trainer (won GN with Silver Birch in 2007)

Negatives: even allowing for unsuitable heavy ground, ran poorly 14 days ago (definitely asked for an effort) when 81 length 8th over 2.5 miles / has never run in Class 1 chase over 3 miles+ / carrying 11 stone which, though certainly not a stopping weight, seems plenty for what he’s achieved

Will probably romp home.
  • Options
    Big Fella Thanks (£11 return with £1 on)
    Comply Or Die (£8.50 return with 50p)
    Irish Raptor (£17 return 50p on)
    Man Mome (6.50 return 50p on)
    The Package (6.50 return 50p on)
    Erics Charm (10.25 with 25p on)
    Niche Market (8.50 with 50p on)
    State Of Play (8.50 with 50p on)
    Vic Venturi (13.00 with 50p on)
    Royal Rosa (50.50 with 50p on)
    Black Apalachi (8.50 with 50p on)
    Backstage (5.25 with 25p on)
  • Options
    I've gone for Niche Market, Eric's Charm, Backstage and Big Fella Thanks. Missus has picked out My Will.

Therefore you should avoid these at all costs.
  • Options
    Irish Raptor and Hello Bud for me...the wife has gone for My Will also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Big Fella Thanks (£11 return with £1 on)
    Comply Or Die (£8.50 return with 50p)
    Irish Raptor (£17 return 50p on)
    Man Mome (6.50 return 50p on)
    The Package (6.50 return 50p on)
    Erics Charm (10.25 with 25p on)
    Niche Market (8.50 with 50p on)
    State Of Play (8.50 with 50p on)
    Vic Venturi (13.00 with 50p on)
    Royal Rosa (50.50 with 50p on)
    Black Apalachi (8.50 with 50p on)
    Backstage (5.25 with 25p on)

i reckon you might have a chance there nathan