Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Talksport

Comments

• Options

Gone to pot on the non-Sports side since Whale and Collins went.

Radio 5Live is going backwards, talkSPORT is improving. I can listen to most radio shows as long as Colin Murray is not on. Nowadays on Radio5, that desire is becoming more & more difficult !!
    Since Colin Murray got sacked from MOTD2 he seems to be on 5Live more than ever. He is nothing short of an idiot. He is ignorant and thinks he's oh so clever with all his matey retired sportsmen.
    I listen to radio far more than I watch TV and am really getting despondent with 5Live. We've lost the brilliant Tony Livesey on weekday evenings as he's gone to weekend early morning now to present basically a news programme, nothing like his wonderful light hearted weekly show. Phil Williams has taken over the slot and he's ok but doesn't have LiveseyS personality.
    A ridiculous move by the BBC is to simulcast Question Time on BBC1 and Radio Five Live, QT is simply not the programme it was and I have no interest in it, so I certainly don't want on the radio too! To make it even worse, bloody Stephen Nolan presents this on a Thursday and hosts a post QT phone in. This man is simply a fool. He is so thick, uninformed and ignorant that I honestly do wonder sometimes if he is real and not a sort of Alan Partridge character.
    Then of course there is the king of the idiots Baker clogging up Saturday mornings and his Prince, Bacon on weekday afternoons.
    It's only the likes of Peter Allen, John Pinnear and Mark Pougatch that keeps me listening at all.
    Sadly as summer is now here the evening schedules are pretty weak and we have to suffer the juvenile and total sport novice Ian Payne.
    I find myself listening more to Radio4 nowadays.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Radio 5Live is going backwards, talkSPORT is improving. I can listen to most radio shows as long as Colin Murray is not on. Nowadays on Radio5, that desire is becoming more & more difficult !!
    Since Colin Murray got sacked from MOTD2 he seems to be on 5Live more than ever. He is nothing short of an idiot. He is ignorant and thinks he's oh so clever with all his matey retired sportsmen.
    I listen to radio far more than I watch TV and am really getting despondent with 5Live. We've lost the brilliant Tony Livesey on weekday evenings as he's gone to weekend early morning now to present basically a news programme, nothing like his wonderful light hearted weekly show. Phil Williams has taken over the slot and he's ok but doesn't have LiveseyS personality.
    A ridiculous move by the BBC is to simulcast Question Time on BBC1 and Radio Five Live, QT is simply not the programme it was and I have no interest in it, so I certainly don't want on the radio too! To make it even worse, bloody Stephen Nolan presents this on a Thursday and hosts a post QT phone in. This man is simply a fool. He is so thick, uninformed and ignorant that I honestly do wonder sometimes if he is real and not a sort of Alan Partridge character.
    Then of course there is the king of the idiots Baker clogging up Saturday mornings and his Prince, Bacon on weekday afternoons.
    It's only the likes of Peter Allen, John Pinnear and Mark Pougatch that keeps me listening at all.
    Sadly as summer is now here the evening schedules are pretty weak and we have to suffer the juvenile and total sport novice Ian Payne.
    I find myself listening more to Radio4 nowadays.
    my sentiments almost exactly .. are you reading my mind Mr Riviera?
  • Options
    Durham was walking along Copacabana beach at night with only his missus, silly thing to do.
  • Options
    ................'The Hottest Spot North of Havana'
  • Options

Collins is now on LBC, shams about Whale I used to like his phone travelling home after a late shift.

I really used to like the really rude chap on the mornings, cant remeber his name.
  • Options
    Mike dickens ?
  • Options

Durham was mugged out in Rio. He is due to give his account on air today.

The Brilliant Tim Vickery lives out in Rio .. he was mugged a few years ago and was quite seriously beaten .. gringos beware
    Vickery is the best Football expert I've ever heard on the radio. His accounts of the game and the culture of Football in South America are second to none.

Listen to the World Football Phone-In podcast each week and have learned a lot.
  • Options

Mike dickens ?

Thats the guy, killed in a car crash.
  • Options
    Had a heart attack whilst driving his show was superb
  • Options

I used to listen to Mike Dickin on late night LBC in the early 80's. He was a cult figure amongst my friends at the time. He was brilliant and I phoned in many times to contribute to his discussions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Durham was mugged out in Rio. He is due to give his account on air today.

The Brilliant Tim Vickery lives out in Rio .. he was mugged a few years ago and was quite seriously beaten .. gringos beware
    Vickery is the best Football expert I've ever heard on the radio. His accounts of the game and the culture of Football in South America are second to none.

Listen to the World Football Phone-In podcast each week and have learned a lot.
    Cool guy as well, I bumped into him after a game and he was happy to have a chat. Then a few months later on his blog he said he remembered me, and was glad I saw lots of football over there.

If only all 'experts' were as insightful and thoughtful.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I used to listen to Mike Dickin on late night LBC in the early 80's. He was a cult figure amongst my friends at the time. He was brilliant and I phoned in many times to contribute to his discussions.

Mike Dickin drove one of the mini's in The Italian Job.
    True.

• Options
    Disagree In the main, Riviera.

I listen to Five Live a fair bit (although Six Music is my favourite station). Whilst I like Peter Allen, John Piennar (who is fantastic) and Mark Pougatch, I also like Colin Murray, because he actually has a distinct personality and is not a bland modern media cardboard cutout. Tony Livesey was a typical narcissistic media type (just how many times is it possible to name check yourself in a minute?) whose brain cells apparently struggled to get into double figures and I was relieved when he was no longer on the radio of an evening with his banal rubbish and piss weak humour. As for Danny Baker, the man is a broadcasting genius and the likes of Richard Bacon come nowhere close (he is more like Livesey, I think). What really annoys me about Five Live is those horrible, jarring adverts that they put on late at night in between some pretty relaxing and smooth programming with the likes of the excellent Rod Sharp and Doton Adebayo. Whoever thought of that needs shooting!

Agree with everyone that Tim Vickery is a class act - extremely knowledgeable and articulate fella - he should be used more.

Never listen to Talksport - too many adverts....
  • Options
    Used to enjoy listening to Dickin.

Can understand Talksports policy of concentrating solely on sport, but some of the ones I've enjoyed most over the years on Talksport and its previous Talk radio were non sport shows, Jeremy Beadle, Tommy Boyd, Ian Collins, James Whale, George Galloway, Steven Norris, Caeser the Geezer etc
  • Options
    What's Henry's favourite Gaunt doing these days?
  • Options
    Nothing permanent, bits and pieces
  • Options
    All of who you say above smudge except galloway to smug and conciepted even if he spoke sense sometimes not all the time

Gault was ok never ducked asking the tough questions
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

What's Henry's favourite Gaunt doing these days?

He appears quite often on the BBC...which he fits in around his support for a number of right-wing causes.

• Options

Can understand Talksports policy of concentrating solely on sport, but some of the ones I've enjoyed most over the years on Talksport and its previous Talk radio were non sport shows, Jeremy Beadle, Tommy Boyd, Ian Collins, James Whale, George Galloway, Steven Norris, Caeser the Geezer etc

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Mick Quinn is bar far the worst thing about TalkSport. Completely thick and clueless about any sport other than football (and he doesn't know much about that). He is always talking over other people and saying things that are not funny and crass. Last week all rugby union fans were middle class. He does the sunday morning breakfast show which reviews saturday's football. Most weeks he says that he didn't see any games as he was out on saturday night. You would have thought that actually watching what he is supposed to be reviewing would be an essential part of his job description.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VERY one eyed and bias towards Liverpool too...
  • Options
    Yes. His attempt to defend Suarez last season was pathetic and embarrassing. He must come cheap for them to continue with him
  • Options
    I turn off when i hear Quinn on. Which appears to be a lot.
  • Options
    He is shite but his book is quite good who ate all the pies

I think talksport loves to employ the boozy old school footballer but they hsve got it well wrong with him he is absolute crap
  • Options

Tommy Boyd was one of my all time favourite broadcasters on any station. The man is a genius.
  • Options
    I quite like Mark Saggers, although thought he was better on BBC. I think he may have fallen out with Alan Green?

Very good cricketer too...he played for Cambridge Granta (very good side in the 80's) and was Cambridgeshire minor counties wicket-keeper/bat. He could also bowl decent medium pace and was superb in the field. Avid Cambridge Utd fan.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

I quite like Mark Saggers, although thought he was better on BBC. I think he may have fallen out with Alan Green?

He did but who doesn't have an argument with Mr Green!
  • Options

Simonsen said:

He did but who doesn't have an argument with Mr Green!
    I did. He cut me off during Euro 2012 when I accused him of being anti-England and asked why as a Northern Irishman the BBC employed him to commentate on England games.
    To be fair I'd been at the Oval all day and was well blaggerd but I'd do the same today. The production staff loved my point and egged me on to have a real go at Greenie when I got on air, I told him this too.
  • Options
    Jason Euell on TalkSport now, talking about us and coaching etc.....
  • Options
    Caeser the Geezer (or boogie man as he was also known as) was shagging a lady across from my house when I lived in Maidstone. He parked his car outside my house one evening and when he returned to it the next morning, someone had used break fluid and white paint on it. He wasnt happy, but we all laught our little bits off.