Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    Well thats 20 minutes Andy and he's still on
  • Options
    i couldnt hear him over his shirt
  • Options
    Dodgy challenge there jonj
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Well thats 20 minutes Andy and he's still on

And as Hodgson has already made his three substitutions, he's now going to play 90 mins.

Close toss up between Townshend's shirt and his footballing 'expertise' as to which is more ludicrous!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Well thats 20 minutes Andy and he's still on

And as Hodgson has already made his three substitutions, he's now going to play 90 mins.

Close toss up between Townshend's shirt and his footballing 'expertise' as to which is more ludicrous!

Dead heat
  • Options
    Watching it on sky + so I'm behind but seeing Jonjo tonight makes me feel like I've been robbed, cheated if you will by Parkinson - not seeing enough of him in a Charlton shirt.

If it is true that Parky didn't know how to play Jonjo then the man is a disgrace.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well done, JonJo.

I have to agree with WestStandCookie. I, too, feel robbed.

A year ago this week, I went to the Priestfield as the guest of my Gillingham friends from Kent County Cricket Club, and was forced to endure a dimsal game in whch Shelvey didn't even get summoned off the bench, because Parky prefered the likes of McLeod and Mooney.

Look at the lad now. Total respect to JonJo for keeping his dignity when Parky wouldnt pick him. I remember saying on CL at the time that he must have been frustrated that journeymen like McLeod were keeping him out of the side - and Uncle very loyally insisted on here that he wasn't frustrated but was content to bide his time and accepted that his manager knew best.

That was the right thing for him to say. But clearly the manager didn't know best and I would say his refusal to play Shelvey for large chunks of the season probably cost us promotion.
  • Options
    Well, quieter second half from JonJo but there was a job to be done and he damn well did it.
    Just that tackle, heart in mouth time.
    But otherwise, a mature performance, the more so when you think that he has hardly featured for the first team before tonight
    You can be bloody proud of him, Uncle. Hope you'll let him know how many of us were watching out for him tonight.
  • Options
    Nice one Jonjo, what a venue to make your first start - one of the great cathedrals of European football... long may you enjoy such a privilege
  • Options
    I feel proud of Jonjo, god knows how Uncle feels!

Just realised that Liverpool played our youngest ever debutant and the previous holder of that record, Paul Konchesky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Well, clearly the manager didn't know best and I would say his refusal to play Shelvey for large chunks of the season probably cost us promotion.

Last year I was loyal to Parky but his refusal to play JonJo in the run in bothered me. It bothers me even more having watched him tonight, (great description ISLS). I am afraid that you are dead right.
  • Options
    Here ar Uncle;

Reaction
  • Options
    Just reading some of the mickeys forums, they are all raving about Jonjo - £1.7 million, takes the pee doesn't it.
  • Options
    It's a surreal feeling that a player deemed not good enough for league one is playing for one of the giants in a european game. If they did one of those a + w [2] = 7 calculations, the mathematicians wouldn't be able to come up with an answer!
  • Options
    So none of you would have been the fans cheering when he got subbed at the valley last season then? Short memories a.
  • Options
    good start bobby
  • Options
    The Liverpool fans are raving about him on the various forums I have been on. Dead chuffed and proud of him. Many are saying he was their best player, a new Gerard (he aint, he is different). Still Parky I am sure that six months have made a huge difference eh? Bossing midfield in europe yet not good enough for the third division.
  • Options
    Very proud. Nice one Jon Jo.
  • Options
    I wouldn't look to far into Shelvey not playing when he was with us. More of a, if he gets injured, we don't get the money we need.
  • Options
    He played really well and so did Spearing too. God only knows why Hodgson usually plays Lucas and Poulsen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lucas has actually been improving. its that jovanovic thats the worst....how he nicks a living as a footballer i'll never know.
  • Options
    A good night for Jj by all accounts.
    Not such a good one for Parky. He must be cringing...
  • Options
    Poulsen is poor. He's only ever been a hatchet man. Know he's a past-it hatchet man.
  • Options
    Kicked every ball with Jonjo. So pleased for him, so sick for us. Whatever Parky manages to do in the future, it will always stick in my craw that he made me watch Racon in CM when Jonjo was available.
  • Options
    However Poulsen in a god compared to the waste of space Maxi Rodriguez seems to be! Kyriagos needs to start more games for them, he's played in so many positions for them, and just gets on with the job.

I thought JJ had a good game, went quiet in patches but what 18 year old doesn't? Also thought he didn't look as comfortable on the ball as he does for England, but I'll put that down to nerves, as instead of being the leader on the pitch he was the young upstart

Would like to see how he does in the Prem now
  • Options
    Dream Team ratings
    NAPOLI 0 LIVERPOOL 0
    STAR MAN - JONJO SHELVEY (Liverpool)

LIVERPOOL: Reina 7, Kelly 7, Carragher 6 (Kyrgiakos 7), Skrtel 8, Konchesky 7 (Aurelio 6), Poulsen 6, Spearing 8, Jovanovic 7, Shelvey 8, Babel 5 (Cole 6), Ngog 7. Subs not used: Rodriguez, Jones Wilson, Eccleston. Booked: Skrtel.
  • Options
    Hope all LFC supporters return ok, just spoke to a lad out there and it sounds rancid
  • Options
    thought he did alright tonight but he needs to be played deeper - in the second half he hardly had a sniff and not sure if he's a back to goal type of player. Stick him deeper and he'll be awesome.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Dream Team ratings
    NAPOLI 0 LIVERPOOL 0
    STAR MAN - JONJO SHELVEY (Liverpool)

LIVERPOOL: Reina 7, Kelly 7, Carragher 6 (Kyrgiakos 7), Skrtel 8, Konchesky 7 (Aurelio 6), Poulsen 6, Spearing 8, Jovanovic 7, Shelvey 8, Babel 5 (Cole 6), Ngog 7. Subs not used: Rodriguez, Jones Wilson, Eccleston. Booked: Skrtel.
    where's that from?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]where's that from?

The Sun, used for their dream team.. so if you had Shelvey he'd get bonus points for his rating and being motm.

not too reliable at all, but heard he had a very good game, and Liverpool fans love him looking at that forum. want more of him!