Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]Wigan have scored. Been the better side so far in the second half according to ssn

Yeah i'm listening to it and they have been konch getting skinned at leftback

Nothing new there/their/they're then!

Seems to have spent most of the evening on his backside
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]Wigan have scored. Been the better side so far in the second half according to ssn

Yeah i'm listening to it and they have been konch getting skinned at leftback

Seems to have spent most of the evening on his backside

Spent a lot of time on his backside (on the bench) when Curbs was his manager - both times.
  • Options
    Mate of mine text me saying he had a shocker, sounds like the majority of their players did as well though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Mate of mine text me saying he had a shocker, sounds like the majority of their players did as well though
    Looking on Twitter he played right midfield and Liverpool fans weren't impressed with his performance.

There's a few ideas of where he should play and what his role should be, but I think most would agree he shouldn't be playing out wide. Playing out of position isn't going to help him or the team.
  • Options
    I just read twitter. The fans are absolutley slaughtering him. I think its disgraceful, they seem to forget hes 18 years old and I don't see the Liverpool academy producing anything better! They played him right midfield for gawds sake!

Hope you prove them all wrong Jonjo.
  • Options
    Scouse mate of mine says that they were booing him from the away end. Turns out it's not just us with stupid fans!

Though you've got to question Hodgson for playing him wide right in the first place....
  • Options
    Liverpool game on bbc now. Or watch online bbc sport
  • Options
    Looked like nearly every other Liverpool player made a mistake in the run-up to Wigan's goal.
  • Options
    Just saw him on MotD. Was most relieved when I realised he wasn't involved in the Wigan goal. I so badly want Jonjo to succeed, but he looked horribly out of his depth in the handful of clips he was in. When he was caught out on the right, he looked like he hadn't the inclination to even try to get to the man. Like a rabbit in the headlights! I hope he pulls himself together!!
  • Options
    Seen some truly horrid stuff written about him on the internet in the last few hours, personal as well, very much the fall-guy for tonight, he's 18 and with the world at his feet, he's going to have the odd poor game especially when playing out of position and in a team which by all accounts were negative, weak and well below par. Thought the majority of LFC fans were better than this.

Make sure he keeps his chin up uncle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    poor fecker

all part of the learning experience, I guess

go Jonjo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    Make sure he keeps his chin up uncle.

This is the key. He's received a lot of plaudits in particular for his performances against Napoli away and Northampton, so just like he shouldn't get carried away with those, he shouldn't let tonight dishearten him too much.

Football's a fickle game and I am sure that Jonjo will come back stronger from this (and hopefully in something approaching his best position too).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Scouse mate of mine says that they were booing him from the away end. Turns out it's not just us with stupid fans!

Seriously? What complete and utter W**nkers! You're right its not just us.
  • Options
    Language B
  • Options
    sorry.
    They are tho. Poor Jonjo.
  • Options
    Remember Jon Jo, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

As Scoham said £250k for every 10 appearances up to 50.

Only first class games not friendlies and coming on as a sub, regardless of playing time counts as 1/2 a game.

Can anyone confirm how many starts and sub appearances he's made including last night?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Scouse mate of mine says that they were booing him from the away end. Turns out it's not just us with stupid fans!

Seriously? What complete and utter W**nkers! You're right its not just us.

But they were being noisy and creating atmosphere and maybe it was just banter so all OK

: - )
  • Options
    Mate at works a Wigan fan and had a spare last night so went up to see the game. Jonjo came on second half. Liverpool fans reacted well when he came on. Jonjo didnt have a great game really, a few misplaced passes, and a couple that led to chances for Wigan. His head didnt drop though and his movement was good, he really got stuck in, went to fetch and won quite a lot of ball in midfield. The overall Liverpool performance was pretty insipid though. Wigan got what they deserved, Konch had a torrid time at LB first half and was constantly skinned by Figueroa and NZogbia.

Ball in the air last minute dropped down to Jonjo just outside the box following a corner thought he was going to hammer it in, but skewed wide.

Big learning curve for him, but his attitude is good, he didnt shy away from the game.

Didnt hear the reaction of the Liverpool fans to Jonjos performance, as I was behind the dug-outs in amongst the Wigan fans .
  • Options
    Premier League........2 apps both as sub (1 game)
    Carling Cup.....1 app as sub (0.5 game)
    UEFA Europa League....2 apps as starter (2 games)

Total 3.5 games in the transfer kitty terms.

This is from LFC website, think it includes last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ah doesnt include last night
  • Options
    cheers

So can he play equivalent of 6 games before Jan 1 so we can splash the cash.

Most likely any money will have to go to cover other costs anyway but it all helps
  • Options
    13 Nov 2010 Stoke City A 17:30
    20 Nov 2010 West Ham H 17:30
    28 Nov 2010 Tottenham A 16:00

December 2010
    2 Dec 2010 Steaua A 18:00
    6 Dec 2010 Villa H 20:00
    11 Dec 2010 N'castle A 17:30
    15 Dec 2010 Utrecht H 20:05
    18 Dec 2010 Fulham H 17:30
    26 Dec 2010 Blackpool A 15:00
    29 Dec 2010 Wolves H 20:00

You would expect him to start the two europa games and perhaps a couple of the congested fixtures over xmas. cant see him getting the 10 in total before the jan window tho.
  • Options
    I read some of the comments on twitter and it was far from complimentary. For as long as he plays the game he'll never have the pace to be a winger and it's not what his game is about.

It seems he had one of his off days but you'd like to think this is when Mr Gerrard will come and put an arm around him and tell him to take the rough with the smooth.

I also think Jonjo is likely to have advisers that will remind him how fickle football fans are. They should be reminding him that he will have good days and bad days and hopefully that he has a long long career ahead of him.

It is rather sad though how quickly the fans can turn on a player who, only a fortnight ago, was being lauded as the new Gerrard and even more frightening that it resorts to namecalling and pisstaking.

I guess he's learning about being a small fish in a big pond now
  • Options
    Some alternative views to those on Twitter from another Forum:

"Roys signings have to be looked at Konchesky is an OK PL player but should be nowhere near this team and Poulson is just a waste of space, theres also a school of thought now that Roys putting young players on like Shelvey (out of position again) and Ecclestone just to cover his back with the owners that he will play young players.

Decisions like letting Aquilani and Insua go out on loan are looking more and more stupid given the players he signed to replace them. Think a draw is the best we can hope for against Stoke, the way we sit deep and invite teams to cross into our box is tailor made for teams like Stoke to cause us problems."

And a response:

"Agree, I can only assume he never watches the reserves and goes on what he sees in training situations. I want the youngsters to come into the team if they are good enough, but Eccleston instead of Jova was a strange one.

Bringing on Shelvey for Meireles was just swapping one central player with another, only playing them out wide. Why not move Kuyt to the right and bring Ngog on to play with Torres? I suppose that's far too attacking for Roy away from home."
  • Options
    I saw on MOTD and what they did show was not good, defo one of his off days but also not many other then gerrard & torres looked like much

Chin up JJ i poor game out of position doesnt make you a bad player, hopefully dont affect him getting games as he looked capable of breaking into the squad. personally i would have him over mereles any day hes poop
  • Options
    This day was always going to come when one performance didn't live up to the expectations of a club many of whose fans still consider themselves one of the top two in England.

I'm not on twitter, so can't comment on what's said there, but on the forums, Shelvey gets less criticism than Gerrard and much, much less criticism than Hodgson for playing him there.
  • Options
    So he had mediocre game, so what. No-one is perfect and he can learn a lot from every match he takes part in. He will come back stronger. Go Jonjo!
  • Options
    see the 'greatest at getting behind their team no matter what' fans chanting for dalglish yesterday.
  • Options
    I think any bad vibes for jonjo have to be taken in context - they are not angry at him, they are angry at the way their season has panned out. He is just new and therefore in the firing range.