Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]to be fair he didn't often shine when he did get in the team

Oh no, lets not go there

????

Why did you pick to quote that line as opposed to this one?
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?

Good to see he's getting on well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Appears the deal on appearances is more complicated and less favourable to us.

All euro and league apps are counted as a half even if he starts.

League subs apps only count if he comes on before the 70th min.

So a bit further off the dosh than we thought.

Don't understand that Henry. How can all Euro and league apps only count as half if he starts ?
    Who is your source ? :-)

Ask him who played Inside Right for CAFC v Huddersfield in 1921, he'll know the answer to that, little else though......
  • Options
    Sad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?
    Noticed at one point this afternoon he played a great ball into space for a team mate to run on to (I can't say who as I was in the pub watching on a 3d tv without the goggles). If he'd played a ball like that with our team it would have been totally wasted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    Noticed at one point this afternoon he played a great ball into space for a team mate to run on to (I can't say who as I was in the pub watching on a 3d tv without the goggles). If he'd played a ball like that with our team it would have been totally wasted.

You are quite right there. Some on here may recall Allan Simonsen playing for Charlton. He had to run and run with the ball because no one made a run for him. He would slot through perfect passes that were just too good for the rest of the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

You are quite right there. Some on here may recall Allan Simonsen playing for Charlton. He had to run and run with the ball because no one made a run for him. He would slot through perfect passes that were just too good for the rest of the team.

I know Liverpool are on a downer but they've got a lot further to fall before they can be likened to the dross that surrounded Simonsen during his time at CAFC.
  • Options
    Sorry meant euro and league cup.

Source was Kenny Dalglish himself. Played golf with him at one of these charity do's last week.
  • Options
    Name dropper
  • Options
    It's easier to play with better players who have the intelligence to be in the right place on the pitch. If you have the flair and brain to hit the space where a player should make the run then you will look the player you are as opposed to look lacking because the dross around you can't anticipate where they should be next, aka division 3.
  • Options
    Not the best of source's Henry, could you understand a word he said?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Appears the deal on appearances is more complicated and less favourable to us.

All euro and league apps are counted as a half even if he starts.

League subs apps only count if he comes on before the 70th min.

So a bit further off the dosh than we thought.

Thats shock.
  • Options
    Charlton in transfer-add-ons-disappointment shocker
  • Options
    firstly - in answer to why he couldn't get into our team - as was stated he didn't have a particularly good season the year he left us.
    For whatever reason it just didn't work out and there was clerly a breakdown somewhere along the way. It's been documented elsewhere so not getting into it here

The passes he played at the weekend were glorious and exactly what we would expect from him - the difference is the quality of team mates that could perceive those runs.
    Example - this weekend look up, see a gap and see Torres on his toes waiting to sprint in-behind and even though the pass had too much weight it was clearly a good intention (applauded by Torres no less)
    For us he would be told to hit Deon Burton's chest with the pass as we didn't have the willing runners. It's a different game
    Add to the fact that he doesn't have a neanderthal trying to snap him in half in the premiership and you can see why he will catch the eye

Secondly - as for the money and add-on's etc.
    I don't think it's quite as crucial now as it was before the takeover so it's no big deal. Lets also not forget that we have a Premier League player on loan with us as a result of Jonjo so it's not always about the money - there are other ways to make this work for us.
  • Options
    So Henry, did Dalglish say anything about what we can expect from Eccleston, or was the deal still under wraps at that stage?

Anyone able to recalculate where we do stand with Jonjo's appearance money now, then?
  • Options
    Its always easy to criticise deals that don't appear to live up to expectations but we are the ones negotiating them. I think the club have business people who are pretty good negotiators but in the end, especially when you are financially compromised, its a buyers market. Look at the deal we did to take Darren Bent from Ipswich when they were in the financial poo. You could also look at the one we did to get Svenson from Palarse when they were in the mire.

In addition as Swisdom says, we have got a loan player out of the deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Its always easy to criticise deals that don't appear to live up to expectations but we are the ones negotiating them. I think the club have business people who are pretty good negotiators but in the end, especially when you are financially compromised, its a buyers market. Look at the deal we did to take Darren Bent from Ipswich when they were in the financial poo. You could also look at the one we did to get Svenson from Palarse when they were in the mire.

In addition as Swisdom says, we have got a loan player out of the deal.

Ipswich stil did pretty well with sell-on money, so I don'tknow that it can be lauded as an example of our great negotiating ability.

However, I can think of a few times when we have negotiated deals which didn't end up being worth they paper they were (not) written on.
  • Options
    On again tonight. Is that 5 sub appearances in a row since Dalglish has been in charge?
  • Options
    What time did he come on?

V wolves he started stripping off dead on 70 mins
  • Options
    66 minutes
  • Options
    Ta ISLS

Well at least that counts as a half appearance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ta ISLS

Well at least that counts as a half appearance.

why, what counts as a full performance?
  • Options
    a start
  • Options
    So theres not much chance of us getting money any time soon then? I just assumed an appearance was an appearance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]So theres not much chance of us getting money any time soon then? I just assumed an appearance was an appearance

I'm hoping we aint so desperate for the money as we once were.
  • Options
    a stast equals one appearance and a sub equals 1/2 he is on about 7.5 so only 2.5 until 250k
  • Options
    Mate of mine who supports Liverpool, reckons Gerrard may be off in the summer!

Time for Jonjo!
  • Options
    Stevie g is coming to charlton in the summer a swap deal which includes Benson,daily,Elliot and 7 mill FACT
  • Options
    Getting better with every game for Liverpool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]So theres not much chance of us getting money any time soon then? I just assumed an appearance was an appearance

I'm hoping we aint so desperate for the money as we once were.

Agree with this. Given our new owners this thread should be more about the pride we have in Jonjo as "one of our own" rather than what financial rewards he can bring to the club still

For what its worth - its really nice that he is getting games and seems to be fitting in pretty well. The fans seem to like his attitude and are aware they have a serious talent there being nurtured. Whenever I check out twitter he gets more compliments than negatives
  • Options
    Have absolute pride in seeing Jonjo playing for Liverpool. He absolutely looks the part and its testament to his undoubted ability that he is getting a game. He will just get better and better.