Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Interesting to see that Bournemouth train at a school. Couldn't have failed to be impressed by Sparrows Lane then.

I thought that although SL was looking a bit shabby last year. needs a coat of paint.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.

LOL

Eddie Howe pops into his office

Eddie: Any calls for me Sharon ?
    Sharon: Yes Eddie. You need to call the chairman, the Charlton chairman, the Palace chairman and the Burnley chairman. Oh, and cafcpolo of the Charlton Life website.
    Eddie: Blimey Sharon, where do i start ????
    Sharon: Probably cafcpolo. He's really pushing for an answer

:-)

You knows it!!! Haha

So your in contact with Howe himself?
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]wasnt happy when parky got job and not happy about howe the only reason he is getting the job is because everybody we approached probably turned it down and we need to ask ourselves why?

Howe could have been the boards first choice for all we know.
  • Boogie that is absurd. Did we approach anyone else? If we did and they turned it down then there could be a multitude of reasons why, location, or maybe in the case of Clarke they were wanted by Liverpool and thought Liverpool a better prospect. For any job there are people who turn them down, it doesn't mean the next person is no good but it means that the person you did get was the best you could appoint for whatever reason.
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]wasnt happy when parky got job and not happy about howe the only reason he is getting the job is because everybody we approached probably turned it down and we need to ask ourselves why?

But did they, we have no way of knowing for sure

How do you know who we definately approached? Stop making things up just to back up your negative feelings to having Howe (or similar) being our manager.
    If you thought we were going to get a big name manager from the upper league or who would be demanding big wages then no wonder you're dissapointed. This is the type of manager i thought, and hoped, we would be going for.

Funny how Palace fans are asking themselves the same question as to why he would turn them down for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]boogica that's pretty shoddy don't you think

how do you know for a fact who we have approached?

I'm not sure we need to do much soul searching... we are a third division club and IF E Howe is coming in we have done bloody well to get him

no i dont think is shoddy why should i let me tell you he definately wasnt 1st choice , probably your 1st choice though .
  • [cite]Posted By: Bennyhill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.

LOL

Eddie Howe pops into his office

Eddie: Any calls for me Sharon ?
    Sharon: Yes Eddie. You need to call the chairman, the Charlton chairman, the Palace chairman and the Burnley chairman. Oh, and cafcpolo of the Charlton Life website.
    Eddie: Blimey Sharon, where do i start ????
    Sharon: Probably cafcpolo. He's really pushing for an answer

:-)

You knows it!!! Haha

So your in contact with Howe himself?

No, one of my best mates is one of his. They played at Bournemouth together.

I doubt that very much. Howe is the best young manager in the game at the moment, that's why we're offering him the job.
    Bournemouth are my 'second' team. Dad was born and bred in Bournemouth and played in their youth side (with Steve Gritt) so I know all about Eddie Howe, both in his playing days and since he's been manager. The guys a genius and has a big future in this game. He will be a success if he comes. Grab a pen and mark my words.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    My fear is that the people who won't let us forget about Parky will be some of those who didn't rate him and who will refer back to him every time we win or every time a current player does well.

Well if that means we are winning games and current players are doing well, then not a bad problem to have and a fairly minor price to pay for our success, eh? Much better than people saying ''they never should have sacked Parkinson'', because suc h comments would presumably mean the new man was not doing as good a job as his predecessor.

Given the number of times Curbishley, Dowie, Pardew and even Lennie Lawrence still get mentioned on the site every single week, I think it is pretty clear that Parkinson will remain a presence here for some time to come.

In a way, it's going to be far more interesting than how we remember our other managers, most of whom we look back on in very black and white terms:-

Lawrence = good

Curbishley = good

Dowie = bad

Pardew = bad

Reed = not his fault

With Parkinson it is much, much more complicated and how he will eventually be judged in the Charlton history books is still unclear, I would suggest...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Interesting to see that Bournemouth train at a school. Couldn't have failed to be impressed by Sparrows Lane then.

I thought that although SL was looking a bit shabby last year. needs a coat of paint.

Dont know why the club doesnt advertise things like this. Im sure if there was an "odd jobs" section or something on the website there would be lots of addicks would be happy to get involved doing things like that gratis to save the club a few bob rather than let it go undone.
  • henry, if the owners can afford the compensation for a manager employed by another club, I'm sure a they a few pots of paint. Sure it'll be one of the first things the new man does, try and put his stamp on the place etc...
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]boogica that's pretty shoddy don't you think

I'm not sure we need to do much soul searching... we are a third division club and IF E Howe is coming in we have done bloody well to get him

no i dont think is shoddy why should i let me tell you he definately wasnt 1st choice , probably your 1st choice though .

I don't know you but all I can say is from what I've read of things you've said we've been very much after Poyet and then it was onto something else, think it was Wise & Wilkins? With respect I don't necessarily believe you at the moment "definitely" or not. Yes he was my first realistic choice. Maybe if you are correct and he wasn't the first choice then the board should have adopted a similar perimeter of realism in their initial considerations.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]boogica that's pretty shoddy don't you think

I don't know you but all I can say is from what I've read of things you've said we've been very much after Poyet and then it was onto something else, think it was Wise & Wilkins? With respect I don't necessarily believe you at the moment "definitely" or not. Yes he was my first realistic choice. Maybe if you are correct and he wasn't the first choice then the board should have adopted a similar perimeter of realism in their initial considerations.

look not aving a go about howe he has done superb at bournemouth and yes he might be a success for us ,but he i do believe he wasnt our 1st choice .
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

look not aving a go about howe he has done superb at bournemouth and yes he might be a success for us ,but he i do believe he wasnt our 1st choice .

fair play, maybe we'll find out one day for the gospel truth... hopefully we will unlike Dowie!

Maybe in years to come after our first European appearance we'll be saying "Thank God so and so didn't come and we had to settle for Eddie Howe"

;-)
  • It's in the South London Press so it must be true!
  • Rodney/Allez,

properly needs more than just a lick of paint or at least it did last season. Don't want to run it down as it is still a very big and impressive facility but when a few off here went last year it clearly needed tidying up, hedges cut, the letters in the Charlton badge replacing etc etc.

Not a priority when people getting made redundant I know and more than likely still better than most in this league and the one above.

Pretty sure any new manager will want something do. Both Dowie and Pardew wanted the dinning area re-built FFS

hope you are right and things like this can be restored to the budget.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

• WSSWSS
    edited January 2011
    Maybe I'll have a crack with the painting when I get to spend my day up there. Eddie Howe best honour Parky's Upbeats prize donation - I paid good money for that!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My fear is that the people who won't let us forget about Parky will be some of those who didn't rate him and who will refer back to him every time we win or every time a current player does well. They will be saying "wouldn't have done that under Parky". We've already seen it in the Spurs thread.

Fair point, but let's also make sure that Parkinson doesn't retain some God-like status because "he never had any cash to spend."

He did well enough under the circumstances, but let's not assume that he would have got us promoted if he had been given money. It's an easy trap to fall into.

With regard to the potential appointment of Howe, it starts to look more and more that the present Board are thinking beyond the end of this season. For those of us who hope for promotion with a team capable of retaining Championship status, this is hugely encouraging.
  • i sawleaburnscore , i hope you are right
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Both Dowie and Pardew wanted the dinning area re-built FFS

Wonderful. Never knew that!

Perhaps the new manager will suggest relocating it in the Oxo Tower....
  • BTW that really is no ordinary school and probably has better facilities that we do. Local comprehensive it aint :-)

Keep an eye on the Echo's blog as I think that's where it'll break first but it seems Howe is meeting with Mitchell this afternoon. Not a bad hand to play is it if you're atfer a pay rise?

• Thanks for posting that. Hard not to start feeling excited after reading it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My fear is that the people who won't let us forget about Parky will be some of those who didn't rate him and who will refer back to him every time we win or every time a current player does well. They will be saying "wouldn't have done that under Parky". We've already seen it in the Spurs thread.

Fair point, but let's also make sure that Parkinson doesn't retain some God-like status because "he never had any cash to spend."

He did well enough under the circumstances, but let's not assume that he would have got us promoted if he had been given money. It's an easy trap to fall into.

With regard to the potential appointment of Howe, it starts to look more and more that the present Board are thinking beyond the end of this season. For those of us who hope for promotion with a team capable of retaining Championship status, this is hugely encouraging.

Agree Dave, both "sides" need to rein in the "told you sos" if we are to move forward.

We all hope, I'm sure that we can get promotion with a team capable of retaining Championship status. I just don't see that as meaning it has to take longer than this season. Teams can be strengthened once promotion is achieved and can also be weakened if players (or managers) leave due to not going up. Semedo is out of contract for example.
  • Right if Eddie does come onboard , I can't help but feel he may want to "Cherry" pick a player from them so he has an ally on the playing staff.
  • [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Right if Eddie does come onboard , I can't help but feel he may want to "Cherry" pick a player from them so he has an ally on the playing staff.

congrats to cfgs for being the first to use a bad "cherry" joke. It could have been a lot worse (or cruder)

: - )
  • As long as its not Dean as he may get Court