Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Strange how suddenly promotion isn't important whereas when Parky was manager it was imperative.

Some people seem to want it both ways![/quote]

mmm agreed
  • Now that is a good point that you make there mate, I do feel we have been too soft for too long.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Strange how suddenly promotion isn't important whereas when Parky was manager it was imperative.

Some people seem to want it both ways!

agreed, whoever gets the job in my opinion is under massive pressure to go up this season.
  • also just had a text saying dont pin your hopes on Howe coming..

So the point could be null and void any how

so thats

Poyet
    Jewell
    Howe
    Clarke

out

who the hell is left
  • Seems we will find out wether EH will be are manager at around 5pm!
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Any new man must have the aim to get promotion. Otherwise there was very little point in sacking Parky.

There were 2 major points to sacking Parky. The football was absolutely dreadful and the crowds were getting smaller. Something had to be done.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Strange how suddenly promotion isn't important whereas when Parky was manager it was imperative.

Exactly.

I have never wanted it both ways. I very reluctantly agreed that it was probably the right decision for Parky to go, because he had lost the supporters and we did appear to be heading in the wrong direction. I couldn't see that changing and the club had to come first. I had and still have nothing but 100% respect for Parky.
  • Howe still massive favourite on Skybet & VC. Everyone else drifting.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Strange how suddenly promotion isn't important whereas when Parky was manager it was imperative.

mmm agreed

No it isn't, circumstances have changed.

Just because some of us thought Parky wasn't going to bring us promotion, doesn't mean we're unrealistic and expect a new manager to come in and be able to suceed with parky's team where Parky couldn't, If they can then great but not expected.
    They should be given time to mould the team into as much theirs as possible....again, as Parky was.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Howe still massive favourite on Skybet & VC. Everyone else drifting.

Interesting. If he doesn't come to us, he will be the footballing equivalent of a cock tease, won't he? He's flirted with Soton, Palace and now us - and so if he stays put, then other clubs are going to be wary of approaching him in future, having concluded that he's a bit of a time-waster...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2011
    I never thought I would see the phrase "cock tease" associated with a new manager, but I take your point though.
  • edited January 2011

I don't think that is entirely fair. The club is in a completely different position than it was before the beginning of the year and I was just reflecting the new reality.

Under RM & Co, the club was starved of funds, because they had basically run out of money. RM was continuing to fund the club but was no secret that he wanted to sell. Prior to the takeover, the best RM could hope, unless there was a deal, was for the club be promoted. That was the overwhelming message coming out of the club and certainly Parky knew this.

Post the takeover, a new scenario has emerged, albeit shrouded in some mystery. The club now has some new money/investors.They have been able to afford to sack the manager, something the previous regime found very hard to do given the costs involved.

My point is that with the new ownership and money comes a new plan. That plan whilst hidden from us must involve a long term goal of getting the club back to the Premier League. In setting that goal, the new owners need to ensure they have the right man for the job (not easy). Clearly they didn't think that person was Parky. Therefore for any new bloke coming in now, whilst his objective will be to get us promoted this season, that is a big ask. He will be given time provided he steers the club on course over the medium term. That means the owners tacitly accept the reality that promotion this season will not be nailed on. Naturally they will hope, as do I, that the new manager works the oracle and gets us promoted. There will be less pressure on him to achieve this than there would have been with RM and Parky in charge in my opinion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Any new man must have the aim to get promotion. Otherwise there was very little point in sacking Parky.

There were 2 major points to sacking Parky. The football was absolutely dreadful and the crowds were getting smaller. Something had to be done.

Not if replacing him becomes a harder task than watching some of his football!
  • If he did join us, you just know we would be in the play off final against Bournemouth!
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

mmm agreed

No it isn't, circumstances have changed.

Just because some of us thought Parky wasn't going to bring us promotion, doesn't mean we're unrealistic and expect a new manager to come in and be able to suceed with parky's team where Parky couldn't, If they can then great but not expected.
    They should be given time to mould the team into as much theirs as possible....again, as Parky was.

The team is the same ... based on comments by Slater, money will be provided to bring in new players ... therefore the new manager will have more than Parky did.

Of course he will need time for the team to gel, but I don't see our new owners being too bothered about that ... they want us out of this division this season. It dosn't matter what we expect ... it's what they will 'demand'.
  • It's Eddie, according to Sky Sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11684_6648781,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]If he did join us, you just know we would be in the play off final against Bournemouth!

i think every single one of us would take that right now.
  • link dont work
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Howe still massive favourite on Skybet & VC. Everyone else drifting.

Interesting. If he doesn't come to us, he will be the footballing equivalent of a cock tease, won't he? He's flirted with Soton, Palace and now us - and so if he stays put, then other clubs are going to be wary of approaching him in future, having concluded that he's a bit of a time-waster...

As long as we don't go and pull a fat rotter on the back of him turning us down.
  • Sponsored links:

• If SadieJane's link is correct and Howe has turned down Palace, I think this means he is very likely going to move either to us or Burnley.

If he turned down Palace because he wanted to stay at Bournemouth, he would say so and take himself out of the running for any other job. So he must have turned them down because he has decided to move.
  • Skysports.com understands Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe is set to be appointed as Charlton Athletic's new boss.

Howe has emerged as one of the brightest young managers in English football in recent seasons after working wonders on a shoestring budget at Bournemouth.

He led the Cherries to promotion from League Two last term and Saturday's victory over Plymouth lifted Howe's side into the top two in League One.

The 33-year-old has been linked with a string of managerial positions over the past 12 months and is now set to take charge at fellow League One outfit Charlton.

Howe was also wanted by Championship strugglers Crystal Palace and revealed after the Plymouth win that he had a difficult decision to make regarding his future.

Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell had asked his manager to stay, but it appears Howe is primed to take over at The Valley.

Charlton's new owners dispensed with previous boss Phil Parkinson last week and have plumped for the highly-rated Howe as his replacement.

The Addicks are currently fifth in the table and sit five points adrift of Bournemouth in the race for promotion to the Championship.
  • http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6648781,00.html
  • I am not sure if anyone has pointed out the Jason Tindall link - he is Howe's assistant at Bournmeouth and was an apprentice at Charlton but never made a first team appearance - does he hold that against us or would he like to come home?
  • Not a great deal of substance in that story to be fair - nothing we don't already know/hope

We just need to wait and see.

I am refusing to get excited until its signed, sealed and delivered
  • [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]If SadieJane's link is correct and Howe has turned down Palace, I think this means he is very likely going to move either to us or Burnley.

If he turned down Palace because he wanted to stay at Bournemouth, he would say so and take himself out of the running for any other job. So he must have turned them down because he has decided to move.

Howe has spent his entire career in the south, Bournemouth, pompey, swindon. Doesn't strike me as someone about to up sticks and move to the dive that is Burnley.
  • deffo a coup considering who he has turned down previously (if it happens)
  • [cite]Posted By: cholland[/cite]I am not sure if anyone has pointed out the Jason Tindall link - he is Howe's assistant at Bournmeouth and was an apprentice at Charlton but never made a first team appearance - does he hold that against us or would he like to come home?

I believe he really enjoyed his time at Charlton so would hope he has been complimentary about us.

And would also help dissuade him from going to Palace
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Skysports.com understands Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe is set to be appointed as Charlton Athletic's new boss.

it's on the new OS so it must be true!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]deffo a coup considering who he has turned down previously (if it happens)

agree, would have to say fair play to the new owners if it comes off, must've sold it well