Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Strange how suddenly promotion isn't important whereas when Parky was manager it was imperative.

Some people seem to want it both ways!

mmm agreed

No it isn't, circumstances have changed.

Just because some of us thought Parky wasn't going to bring us promotion, doesn't mean we're unrealistic and expect a new manager to come in and be able to suceed with parky's team where Parky couldn't, If they can then great but not expected.
    They should be given time to mould the team into as much theirs as possible....again, as Parky was.

The team is the same ... based on comments by Slater, money will be provided to bring in new players ... therefore the new manager will have more than Parky did.

Of course he will need time for the team to gel, but I don't see our new owners being too bothered about that ... they want us out of this division this season. It dosn't matter what we expect ... it's what they will 'demand'.

Where have they said they want us out of this league this season?

Also when i meant moulding the team i didn't just mean new players, this league isn't just about the players (Poyet/Brighton the biggest current point of that). it's about systems and formations and getting the best out of the players as regularly as possible etc and that takes time to implement fully.
    And as long as the football is acceptable and the attendances don';t keep dropping as they have been even this season, then i think the board will take a slightly longer view than this season. Although i think is not this season then yes they would desire promation next seaon.
  • Eddie seems to have the same, back against the wall fighting spirit,as our beloved Lennie.New Dawn.COYR.
  • [cite]Posted By: scabbyhorse[/cite]Seems we will find out wether EH will be are manager at around 5pm!

Why 5pm?
  • [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Skysports.com understands Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe is set to be appointed as Charlton Athletic's new boss.

it's on the new OS so it must be true!

That's exactly what I was going to say, Stilladdicted!

We have now reached a position where if it's not on the OS it is probably true -and if it is on SKy, it is definitely true!
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]He was taking training this morning and has a meeting with their chairman this afternoon as he tries to convince him to stay.

It's 50-50 right now.

From my understanding of the situation there is more going on at bournemouth than is publicly out there and perhaps Eddie feels they are holding him back.

I think If he comes and given the correct support from our Club both Financially and moraly Eddie Howe will be a huge coup for us.

J i do understand the point but if we dont get Howe then i fear more than if we do.

Right move for a club trying to grow to get a man who can grow with it Ala curbs when he started

it all seems to fit really well to people who have a plan.

Was Pep Gaurdiola the wrong choice for Barca what had he done? how young was he?and his task was huge going into Barca

We are Charlton in the 3rd division having a man who can grow Charlton into his domain his club like he has Bournemouth would show me that this Board are serious about the rebuilding and doing it the right way.

And That Eddie Howe knows and understands the ambition and wants to try it himself.

Poyet wont leave Brighton because not only is he loyal but he can see the long term vision, new stadia increased crowds more money, he proberly can see the same with us in the long term views from TJ/MS but thats where the loyalty kicks in

we need someone hungry, someone able to have vision, someone able to undetstand we want to watch football not hoofball, Someone here for the long haul

If it cant be Poyet then Eddie Howe is a great 2nd

Totally agree with this and AFKA's post on the previous page (#428)
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Anyone else think this is starting to become a little Messi. Wise, Hoddle, Clarke, Poyet, Zola all seem to now be out of the frame(if indeed they were ever in it) and looking at the most recent posts, Howe as well. Oh well, I'm sure the new owners know what they are doing.

Messi? Isn't he a bit young to be our manager? Would he get in the team ahead of OXO Tower?
  • Also when i meant moulding the team i didn't just mean new players, this league isn't just about the players (Poyet/Brighton the biggest current point of that). it's about systems and formations and getting the best out of the players as regularly as possible etc and that takes time to implement fully.
    And as long as the football is acceptable and the attendances don';t keep dropping as they have been even this season, then i think the board will take a slightly longer view than this season. Although i think is not this season then yes they would desire promation next seaon.

I'm not convinced ... but none of us know so wait and see ... in any event it would be galling to at least not make playoffs.
  • edited January 2011
    Stomemuse asked: ''Where have they said they want us out of this league this season? ''

Slater, when he arrived. Said that the club didn't want the agony of the play-offs again and it needed to be automatic promotion, so he was quite specific about it.

It was on the OS - and that was back in the 'old' days when the OS still counted for something, so it must have been true...
  • Similar article to Sky's in the Daily Mail's website

Eddie Howe is set to quit Bournemouth and become the new manager at League One promotion rivals Charlton.
    In-demand Howe, 33, is ready to join the Addicks after rejecting the opportunity to succeed the sacked George Burley at their South London rivals Crystal Palace.

Managerless Burnley were also considering Howe as a replacement for Brian Laws, sacked last month but the Clarets are now thought to be switching their attention to Watford boss Malky Mackay
    Howe has been in charge at Bournemouth for just over two years. He led them to promotion from League Two last season and the Cherries are currently sitting second in the League One table, four points adrift of leaders Brighton but five points better off than fifth-placed Charlton.

That success has made him one of the most sought-after managerial talents in the country and Charlton’s new owners, who sacked Phil Parkinson last week, are ready to more than double his current salary if he agrees to take charge at The Valley.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1345765/Eddie-Howe-quit-Bournemouth-manager-Charlton.html#ixzz1AdU7FLq2
  • So does that mean if we finish 3rd on goal difference, or lose in the playoff final, the manager should be sacked? I really hope we don't get into a situation like that.
  • With Parky as manager we were NEVER going to get promoted! And the state he left us in, we'd have struggled to make the play offs. With Brighton so far ahead and Southampton already having hit top form, I'd be happy with being in the play offs with Howe as manager and playing Bournemouth in the final! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Daily Mail clearly not as reliable a source as Sky - but ''more than double his current salary'', eh?

No wonder we seem to have seen off Palace !
  • People should forget about Parky

He has gone now

We got rid of him whilst still in the plaayoff position because if we didnt we wouldnt have been in it much longer

move on your king is dead long live the new king whoever he may be
  • think it will take time for any manager to put his stamp on a new club,so i think getting us in the playoffs is what we should expect.
  • Not a great indicator perhaps but Skybet have closed the book (again)
  • Why on SSN only in talks
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Daily Mail clearly not as reliable a source as Sky - but ''more than double his current salary'', eh?

No wonder we seem to have seen off Palace !

And more than double Parkinson's old salary, too, one suspects?
  • I don't agree with those saying we may as well have kept Parky until the end of the season and then got rid if we didn't go up. Promotion under Parky was, IMO, very unlikely. By appointing a new manager we have given ourselves a better chance especially if he invests wisely in January. Keeping Parky would have Prolonged the agony and may have affected season ticket sales. By bringing in someone now we have a chance of promotion but if not it gives them a better platform for next season than if they came in during the summer. However the new man is there is no guarantee and nothing to say that Wenger for example would do better than Howe. I like the fact that the Board are looking long term in appointing a Howe or O'Driscoll as opposed to a Wilkins or Hoddle who would only see us as a route back into the game. We need to build for the future not just getting out of League 1 and we need a young, dynamic man to do that.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Stomemuse asked: ''Where have they said they want us out of this league this season? ''

No I didn't.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]People should forget about Parky

He has gone now

We got rid of him whilst still in the plaayoff position because if we didnt we wouldnt have been in it much longer

move on your king is dead long live the new king whoever he may be

Contradicting yourself there a bit, mate.

you say move on but then go on to say we wouldn't have stayed in a play-off position if he had stayed.

I'm quite happy to move on and get behind Howe or whoever the new manager is.

My fear is that the people who won't let us forget about Parky will be some of those who didn't rate him and who will refer back to him every time we win or every time a current player does well. They will be saying "wouldn't have done that under Parky". We've already seen it in the Spurs thread.
  • I agree we should make the Play Offs and probably would have stumbled in there under Parky. When I said earlier about expectations it was because of my fear of Wise arriving . Howe needs at least 18 months before the boo boys go for him . at least he was not Pardew's number two and comes devoid of baggage.

I did not demand Parky's head but felt the night of the Swindon game that it was probably time to consider change . This proves the new owners did not lie so that Wise could do the job although I'm sure Dennis will be in the background somewhere.

ow let's sign the 4 or 5 players needed to go up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.

Good man
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Stomemuse asked: ''Where have they said they want us out of this league this season? ''

No I didn't.

Sorry, no you didn't. It was DR Addick. I was confused by one of those interminably long 'quote-within-a-quote-within-a-quote-before-you-get-to-the-reply' threads !
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Stomemuse asked: ''Where have they said they want us out of this league this season? ''

Slater, when he arrived. Said that the club didn't want the agony of the play-offs again and it needed to be automatic promotion, so he was quite specific about it.

It was on the OS - and that was back in the 'old' days when the OS still counted for something, so it must have been true...

Just listened again to the first interview video and what he said was (after explaining how they wanted to see the gates increasing and expressing disappointment at the Brighton result) 'It's not going to be a walk in the park to ensure promotion. but we're clearly well placed. I'm sure we can strengthen the squad in the January window and push on from there.'
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.

LOL

Eddie Howe pops into his office

Eddie: Any calls for me Sharon ?
    Sharon: Yes Eddie. You need to call the chairman, the Charlton chairman, the Palace chairman and the Burnley chairman. Oh, and cafcpolo of the Charlton Life website.
    Eddie: Blimey Sharon, where do i start ????
    Sharon: Probably cafcpolo. He's really pushing for an answer

:-)
  • Interesting to see that Bournemouth train at a school. Couldn't have failed to be impressed by Sparrows Lane then.
  • If we do get Howe, can we resurrect the 'Ohhhh Eddie Youds' chant please? (changing the words obviously :)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I'm pushing for an answer, mate unable to get hold of him at the moment. Will post when I know more.

LOL

Eddie Howe pops into his office

Eddie: Any calls for me Sharon ?
    Sharon: Yes Eddie. You need to call the chairman, the Charlton chairman, the Palace chairman and the Burnley chairman. Oh, and cafcpolo of the Charlton Life website.
    Eddie: Blimey Sharon, where do i start ????
    Sharon: Probably cafcpolo. He's really pushing for an answer

:-)

You knows it!!! Haha
  • wasnt happy when parky got job and not happy about howe the only reason he is getting the job is because everybody we approached probably turned it down and we need to ask ourselves why?
  • boogica that's pretty shoddy don't you think

how do you know for a fact who we have approached?

I'm not sure we need to do much soul searching... we are a third division club and IF E Howe is coming in we have done bloody well to get him