Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Gary Johnson leaves Posh today. I've always thought he's put together some decent sides and been fairly successful, leading teams to promotion etc. Maybe now he is free and available he'll come into the reckoning?
  • [cite]Posted By: Bangkok Dave[/cite]Gary Johnson leaves Posh today. I've always thought he's put together some decent sides and been fairly successful, leading teams to promotion etc. Maybe now he is free and available he'll come into the reckoning?

Parkinson is sacked at fifth-placed Charlton.

Johnson "leaves" seventh-placed Posh.

Funny old game these days this football management lark!
  • We won't hear before 11am it seems. However he wants the squad to hear first before the press which would suggest he wants to tell them himself that he's off.
    EDDIE Howe’s future as manager of AFC Bournemouth last night remained in the balance following a day of intrigue at Dean Court.

Howe was expected to give a decision on whether he would be staying put or leaving to join either Crystal Palace or Charlton Athletic.

However, he is understood to have delayed giving an answer to Cherries chairman Eddie Mitchell and asked for more time to consider his options.

Howe, who has always been known to put the interests of his players first, was also thought to be keen to inform his squad of his decision before it was made public through the media.

Cherries players had been scheduled to train as normal at Canford School today, although the squad was instead summoned to meet at Dean Court at 11am.

During a day of suspense, supporters remained in the dark as the rumour mill went into overdrive, with no official statements on Howe’s future made by the club or the manager.

The plot thickened when bookmakers made Howe the odds-on favourite to take over at Palace, Charlton and Burnley, another club believed to be courting him.

Developments were captured by a live blog on the Daily Echo website which was followed by a peak audience of more than 1,200.

Cherries’ official club website carried a video interview with chairman Mitchell as he left Dean Court following a mid-afternoon meeting with Howe and assistant Jason Tindall.

It is believed Mitchell may have tried to persuade the management duo to stay with the club by offering them both improved contracts.

However, Championship strugglers Palace and League One rivals Charlton are both understood to have offered Howe and Tindall astronomical financial packages.

Speaking as he left Dean Court yesterday afternoon, Mitchell, asked if Howe was still manager, replied: “Yes he is, as we speak.”

And asked whether he was hopeful Howe would still be manager today, Mitchell replied: “Sure I am.”

Mitchell, who added that Howe had not tendered his resignation, said: “I’m not privy to what Eddie does outside of the football club. All I know at the moment is that he is still manager of Bournemouth.

“We can’t do any more than we have. It’s Eddie’s decision and we would wish him well, whatever he decided to do.

“We had a chat and it is a very tough decision for him to make. It’s Eddie’s life, not ours, but we want to keep him and everybody in the town wants to keep him. He has to make his own decisions.

“I think Eddie knows the importance of making a decision as soon as possible, but he wants to make the right decision. He is very deep and intelligent and he needs to think about it and he’ll let us know when he is ready. I want him to stay as long as possible and that’s my hope.”
  • one of 6 candidates who could they be?
  • Astronomical?!
  • BBC Radio Solent report: #AFCB Eddie Howe cancels training and calls squad to meeting at 11am, to give decision on his future #cpfc #cafc
  • It's going to be the Nigels, I felt it in my waters this morning
  • My take, as with many of you, is that the shortlist thing is a PR smokescreen but it could also have a detrimental effect on our chances with EH. Surely now he has to either say he is staying at Bournemouth at least until the summer or go now, to wait another week could really unsettle things at Dean Court. So he may see palARSE as the ideal route out of this.

Also I wonder who at Bournemouth has been leaking all this, over the last few days?
  • Yea I have a feeling he'll opt for Palace.
  • Think the Bournemouth Chairman enjoys having his name in lights.
  • Sponsored links:

• I keep having visions of him standing in their decrepid old ground in a gray bench coat with an eagle on it...

i think he will go there tbh
  • just a thought Admin team

could you link to that bournemouth echo blog, save us all going back to page 14
  • Lazy sod
  • I think in many ways we are a btter option than palarse, however due to his love of bournmouth he may not want to go to a league rival like us....

I hope im wrong though
  • I would like him to be our manager but then again he makes me feel old and we have other fish to fry, so would not be gutted to see him opt for palARSE
  • Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.

good
  • Oh dear :(
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.
    I agree but they said he was coming to us the same time yesterday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Talksport did say he was signing for us yesterday. I guess we'll find out at 11 am, he's obviously going to leave by the sounds of it and will tell his players first before anyone else.
  • I wouldn't be too worried if we don't get Howe. I'm sure he's got some great qualities, but there are other's out there with just as much to prove. He wasn't on many people's radars at the beginning of the search. So Dennis.......
  • [cite]Posted By: Bangkok Dave[/cite]I wouldn't be too worried if we don't get Howe. I'm sure he's got some great qualities, but there are other's out there with just as much to prove. He wasn't on many people's radars at the beginning of the search. So Dennis.......

my thoughts exactly
  • Gary Johnson - Lets get him in now, he has had sucess at Yeovil and B City and has expericed of not only this league but the one we are trying to get to. Johnson has also been pretty succesful when spending money. Ticks all the boxes for me.
  • Whatever happens I am not at all up for Dennis Wise.
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]Gary Johnson - Lets get him in now, he has had sucess at Yeovil and B City and has expericed of not only this league but the one we are trying to get to. Johnson has also been pretty succesful when spending money. Ticks all the boxes for me.

this
  • edited January 2011
    Said last night I think he'll go to Palace, still do.

Wonder who else we're considering, Tisdale at Exeter maybe?

Not convinced Johnson would be an improvement on Parky.
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.

good

Lol, but you stll dont know who you want instead...................laughable
  • Keith Peacock? We were very well organised for 90% of the game at Spurs and he would get us playing good football, good coach, good judge of player.
  • If we wasn't in competition with palace, would we be that bothered if he turned us down?

Can't help thinking that Gary Johnson would be a much better option.

More experience, more clubs, teams play good Footy. I think Howe is just too big a gamble.