Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Extremely encouraged that the nasty little 4 footer (as someone on here described him) hasn't been appointed and that we're looking at other options. Even more encouraged that there could be another 5 targets.

Sean O'Driscoll for me please.
  • I can't help but think that not knowing who the owners are will act as a deterrent for any incoming manager. It would certainly be used as a quite powerful argument by both home club and rivals.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]Extremely encouraged that the nasty little 4 footer (as someone on here described him) hasn't been appointed and that we're looking at other options. Even more encouraged that there could be another 5 targets.

Sean O'Driscoll for me please.

By the way the above is a description of Wise and not Howe.
  • If Howe chooses Palace, Chris Houghton is still available, harshly treated at Newcastle, we could give him the chance to build his own team again.
  • edited January 2011
    Not too concerned if we don't get him, per se. Despite seemingly half the clubs in the land being after him, I struggled with this notion of him as being anyone's saviour. He's a good and very promising young manager. No more. No less.

What concerns me a bit, though, is that we have wasted the best part of a week chasing this chap. It's now Jan 11 and we can't waste another week before we get someone one in.

Peacock was told he was only going to be in charge for one game. We've got a big trip to Shef Wed coming up so we've got 48 hours to get someone in, if they're going to have time to prep. the squad. On the other hand, as others have rightly said, we cannot afford to be rushed into the wrong decision.

So if Howe does say 'no' to us later today, he hasn't derailed us. But he has definitely shunted us up a siding for a while ...
  • [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.

good

Lol, but you stll dont know who you want instead...................laughable

why laughable dont think howe is the right man ,who i want instead poyet would be nice dont look like thats gonna happen but i dont see why its laughable.
  • Looks like the guy still has not made up his mind, ridiculous if true

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/8782377.Cherries__Mitchell_calls_emergency_meeting/
  • Stat of the Day

since the start of the season, of the 92 clubs, the percentage of football managers to leave/ sacked is 35%.
  • I would love Chris Hughton to come here. If we could convince him to come. Maybe bring Chrissy in as assistant? That would be ace
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Not too concerned if we don't get him,per seWhat concerns me a bit, though, is that we have wasted the best part of a week chasing this chap. It's now Jan 11 and we can't waste another week before we get someone one in.
    We don't know this is the case. I know when I'm interviewing for a position I can see up 4 people a day 3 days on the trot. This may or may not have happened.

For somebody who was batting off a lot of board criticism just a week ago you have slightly changed your tune over the new managerial appointment process!
  • Sponsored links:

• It's just an assumption that we've wasted any time, since you have no idea what has actually been happening behind the scenes.

Haven't read all the thread, but has anyone realised that Jason Tindall - Howe's assistant - was a young professional at Charlton? He was never rated as a player from what I remember, but I believe he was very well liked. He would know KP well.

Means nothing in terms of what is going to happen, by the way, just of interest to me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Looks like the guy still has not made up his mind, ridiculous if true

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/8782377.Cherries__Mitchell_calls_emergency_meeting/

Why ridiculous?

Life changing decision for him and his family so why shouldn't he take a few days to decide.

If you were happy in your job but offered (not applied for but offered) another two or three better paid jobs elsewhere in the country would you decide on the spot or would you take time to consider your options, talk to family, talk to the prospective employers and your current boss and then make a decision?

He'll decide when he's good and ready and so it should be.
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Talksport are reporting that Howe is off to Palace.

good

why laughable dont think howe is the right man ,who i want instead poyet would be nice dont look like thats gonna happen but i dont see why its laughable.

Poyet was never going to happen so it makes sense to aim a little lower regarding a new manager, you keep saying Howe is not the man for the job but never back it up with a reason, when asked who you would like you do not know and whenever a message appears saying Howe might not be coming you just say "Good" or "Im glad etc" you want to be careful what you wish for.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Not too concerned if we don't get him,per seWhat concerns me a bit, though, is that we have wasted the best part of a week chasing this chap. It's now Jan 11 and we can't waste another week before we get someone one in.
    We don't know this is the case. I know when I'm interviewing for a position I can see up 4 people a day 3 days on the trot. This may or may not have happened.

For somebody who was batting off a lot of board criticism just a week ago you have slightly changed your tune over the new managerial appointment process!

I haven't changed my tune at all.

This we have learnt:

1. The sacking of Parkinson was not premeditated but a response to the malaise the new owners saw on the pitch and possibly detcted in the dressing room,too.

2. Dennis Wise was not lined up as most of the critics of the new owners on here alleged. Nor was anyone else.

3. Hence the new owners were not ''liars''.

4. From the deal we have allegedly offered Howe both on his salary and tranfer pot, there is some decent money behind the new owners.

All that is good. Even better if we can add :

5. While courting Howe, they interviewed several other candidates and as soon as he went elsewhere, we were able to appoint our second choice within 24 hours.

All I said was that I will be worried if we cannot. Have we ''wasted'' a week? Well, Peacock was told he had one game in charge. In 72 hours the squad travel up to Yorkshire and there is clearly a possibility that Peacock will again be selecting the squad and preping the team. Which was not the plan.
  • I can't remember reading anywhere it saying that KP was only in charge for one game or what the "plan" was. Apologies if I missed it though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's just an assumption that we've wasted any time, since you have no idea what has actually been happening behind the scenes.

Haven't read all the thread, but has anyone realised that Jason Tindall - Howe's assistant - was a young professional at Charlton? He was never rated as a player from what I remember, but I believe he was very well liked. He would know KP well.

Means nothing in terms of what is going to happen, by the way, just of interest to me.

As you say we don't know. As WSS we could have interview 20 people by now and have them all lined up. Howe might not even be our first choice, just that his is the name being mentioned by the press and his own Chairman. All guess work.

The Tindell link had been made. Swisdom played in the youth team with him but it's an interesting one. Would he fancy a move back or prefer to stay as boss at AFCB?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Looks like the guy still has not made up his mind, ridiculous if true

Why ridiculous?

Life changing decision for him and his family so why shouldn't he take a few days to decide.

If you were happy in your job but offered (not applied for but offered) another two or three better paid jobs elsewhere in the country would you decide on the spot or would you take time to consider your options, talk to family, talk to the prospective employers and your current boss and then make a decision?

Its not so much the time he's taken, that is understandable but you need to then inform others that you are giving yourself that time not alter your own deadlines
  • I reckon he'll stay at Bournemouth and talk about finishing what he's started this season. I'd take Chris Hughton if our owners have that sort of dosh if not Gary Johnson would be the best for this level. He put together one of the best footballing sides I saw in the Championship and I hardly knew any of their players. Would be a good fit for Charlton in my opinion.
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Looks like the guy still has not made up his mind, ridiculous if true

Why ridiculous?

Precisely. I reckon the only people who will critiscise someone for taking their time over making a life changing decision are those who've never had to make life changing decisions. Howe himself said he didn't want to mess people around and he knew that he had to make a decision sooner rather than later. People will be pulling him in all directions, give him some space.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I can't remember reading anywhere it saying that KP was only in charge for one game

"I agreed to do it for this coming game until the next manager's appointed. I was told on Tuesday, after the chairman had seen the manager. They asked if I'd take over with Damian as my assistant for this one game - that's my remit.''
  • Sponsored links:

• If Howe did come I would hope there could still be some role from KP. I can only believe that Howe would benefit from his experience and knowledge of the club. I also believe KP has a nice enough manner to be able to do this without offending howe who would be the main man
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's just an assumption that we've wasted any time, since you have no idea what has actually been happening behind the scenes.

As you say we don't know. As WSS we could have interview 20 people by now and have them all lined up. Howe might not even be our first choice, just that his is the name being mentioned by the press and his own Chairman. All guess work.

The Tindell link had been made. Swisdom played in the youth team with him but it's an interesting one. Would he fancy a move back or prefer to stay as boss at AFCB?

I'd like to think he will come with Howe - partly because it would be nice to catch up with him again but also because I think they work well together as a team and he too seems to be a promising and young coach
  • Cheers IA. Looks like we're managerless and nobody is taking training this week then!
  • Think Howe and Tindall come as a package. I'm sure that the least we woul have done is spoken tou agents and sounded out other managers in case Howe said no, assuming he was first choice. For all we know e may have interviewed three or four others but Howe became first choice, no we move on to second choice (IF he turns us down)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Cheers IA. Looks like we're managerless and nobody is taking training this week then!

LOL
  • I can't see how Howe can really stay at Bournemouth now, his head must have been well and truly turned by the attention from far bigger clubs than his own.

He will only stay at Bournemouth if the chairman agrees to put some dough in for the transfer window, and that seems unlikely.
  • [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

good

Poyet was never going to happen so it makes sense to aim a little lower regarding a new manager, you keep saying Howe is not the man for the job but never back it up with a reason, when asked who you would like you do not know and whenever a message appears saying Howe might not be coming you just say "Good" or "Im glad etc" you want to be careful what you wish for.

dont wish 4 anything, on a previous post i said i believe we should look for someone with a higher standing than howe which i think poyet has since he played at the top level and he would get more respect than howe from seasoned pros such as dailly ,and docherty im not knocking eddie howe cos he as done a fine job at bournemouth just think he would find it more difficult here cos our expectations are higher than bournemouths, its nothing personal.
  • ''Howe might not even be our first choice, just that his is the name being mentioned by the press and his own Chairman. All guess work.''

So if he goes to Palace, we'll claim he was only one of several possible candidates we spoke to, we never offered him the job and any suggestion that we did was invented by Howe , the Bournemouth chairman and a media that believed every word they fed some sappy blogger on the local Bournemouth paper! Not a bad tactic, as it happens, as we could claim we did not lose out to the Stripeys...
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Think Howe and Tindall come as a package. I'm sure that the least we woul have done is spoken tou agents and sounded out other managers in case Howe said no, assuming he was first choice. For all we know e may have interviewed three or four others but Howe became first choice, no we move on to second choice (IF he turns us down)

Quite so. Or even we have already been turned down (By Clarke/Wise/Hoddle/who knows and How is 4th choice.

All guess work. Unlikely IMHO but guess work.

The only things we have learnt for sure this week is the Parky has gone and no one else has been appointed yet.
  • The Bounemouth Echo blog is up and running, they are expecting an announcement at approx 11.15 after the 11.00 meeting with the players.

That blog is the doggies do dahs