Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliott

Comments

• Options
    I like Rob and think he will improve but I have to say I feel a more experienced keeper may well keep him on his toes and at times may inspire more confidence in a less than secure defence. That said earlier in the season when Rob had a knock and Worner came in he gave a good account of himself and don't recall him playing badly yet he lost his place as soon as Rob was fit, I felt he was worth a longer run tbh.
  • Options
    Goalkeeping is about so much more than pulling off the odd top drawer save.

For me Elliott doesnt do the basics well enough.

His communication is lacking as well.

Our defenders look nervous and for me the root cause of this is a lack of trust/faith in the keeper.
  • Options
    He has the potential to be great but lets in a few too many of the - maybe he could have saved that variety. I think he could do with losing a few pounds which would help IMO. There is no reason why his distribution is poor as he has a long accurate kick and a great and strong throw. The best bet is to get the GK coach working on him to fulfill his potential. We certainly are not going to be able to buy anybody better. Worner looks like a good prospect too so we ought to develop these.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Having browsed a few other teams forums over the last few months, it is evident that many sets of fans question their keeper, teams who are doing relatively well in their divisions and do not have bad defensive records are not completly satisified with the likes of Ruddy, Heaton, Weale etc . In my view, we were very lucky to have such a good keeper in Deano for so many years, however if sites such as this existed in the early 2000's (I am correct in thinking CL started in 2006?), even Deano may have been questioned at times and there may have been threads such as "what does Curbs see in Deano" etc. It is one of those positions that is scrutinised so much and any gk is going to have weaknesses and let in a few that some will say "he should have done better". Robbie is no different and this is League 1, having seen most of the keepers in the league, there are not many I would rather than Elliot in goal.

Also I think people are looking at Randy's spell in goal with rose tinted specs, yes he performed very well and earned us valuable points- he also had a massive point to prove and was playing for his future. However he was no Gordon Banks and remember in the last minute against Colchester when he nearly threw the ball in, if that had gone in, I guarantee it would have put a massive cloud over his spell in goal. Not saying he is not a good gk but he is only now playing for Motherwell- is the standard there much higher than L1! Also there were question marks over his attitude and the fact he was behind Elliot in the pecking order for so long, surely shows that there is not much between them.

Robbie is far from perfect and certainly needs to lose a few pounds, but there is the makings of a very decent GK and is more than capable at this level and maybe even the Champ.
  • Options
    Worner is the better of the keepers we've got
  • Options
    o CommentAuthorMadz
    o CommentTime3 hours ago
    # 23
    I rate Robbie, but if we could bring someone better to challenge him i wouldn't be disappointed. Elliott is guaranteed a place when he is fit and has often played when not (which i think is stupid and puts the team at risk
    (sorry, can’t quote today for some reason)

I assume you’re referring to Colchester away ? I totally agree if so. Robbie staying on in that game was completely ridiculous and probably underlines his sense of complaceney. I really think that when Robbie doesn’t feel like he has competition for the jersey (Weaver/Randolph) his fitness goes way down hill which can be seen every weekend. That really is unacceptable and is a sign of a lack of focus. We know he can shift the weight, remember at the start of last season he was looking very trim, had clearly been doing a lot of work in prepperation for a battle to gain the no 1 jersey. When he feels there is no one to challenge him the hunger to remain fit seems to drop, which in turn I feel affects his performances. I think it seems obvious to Robbie that no matter what under Parkinson this season he was going to be first choice. Worner came in for a few games and largely did well, however was dropped straight away when Robbie was ready to come back, fast forward to New Years day and everyone in that stadium would have said Robbie should have come off, however it appeared that he was allowed to make his own decision, and unsurprisingly he chose to stay on.

I think Robbie’s good enough for this league when he’s fit and focused, however that isn’t often enough for me. Worner is a very good back up for this level, you can’t keep signing other ‘keepers to motivate Robbie – it’s his responsibility as a professional to motivate himself. He has a huge amount of inbuilt goodwill as he’s a youth team product and clearly a passionate Addick – however it gets to the point where you have to have ability (both technical and physical) as well love for the team, otherwise the squad would be made up of Charlton Life members !
  • Options
    Certainly Robbie has areas to improve - probably communication being the main one.
    However I think there are 5 or 6 higher priorities. Two central midfielders who regularly wants to get the ball (not just when their in the mood like our current pairing), a right back for starters
  • Options
    love the expert goalkeeping analysis amongst you
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]o CommentAuthorMadz
    o CommentTime3 hours ago
    # 23
    I rate Robbie, but if we could bring someone better to challenge him i wouldn't be disappointed. Elliott is guaranteed a place when he is fit and has often played when not (which i think is stupid and puts the team at risk

I assume you’re referring to Colchester away ? I totally agree if so. Robbie staying on in that game was completely ridiculous and probably underlines his sense of complaceney. I really think that when Robbie doesn’t feel like he has competition for the jersey (Weaver/Randolph) his fitness goes way down hill which can be seen every weekend. That really is unacceptable and is a sign of a lack of focus. We know he can shift the weight, remember at the start of last season he was looking very trim, had clearly been doing a lot of work in prepperation for a battle to gain the no 1 jersey. When he feels there is no one to challenge him the hunger to remain fit seems to drop, which in turn I feel affects his performances. I think it seems obvious to Robbie that no matter what under Parkinson this season he was going to be first choice. Worner came in for a few games and largely did well, however was dropped straight away when Robbie was ready to come back, fast forward to New Years day and everyone in that stadium would have said Robbie should have come off, however it appeared that he was allowed to make his own decision, and unsurprisingly he chose to stay on.

I think Robbie’s good enough for this league when he’s fit and focused, however that isn’t often enough for me. Worner is a very good back up for this level, you can’t keep signing other ‘keepers to motivate Robbie – it’s his responsibility as a professional to motivate himself. He has a huge amount of inbuilt goodwill as he’s a youth team product and clearly a passionate Addick – however it gets to the point where you have to have ability (both technical and physical) as well love for the team, otherwise the squad would be made up of Charlton Life members !

Robbie stayed on because Worner was more badly injured. Worner got injured in training (I think the day before) and had stitches (in his knee I think). Whether Worner should have been on the bench or not is another matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]o CommentAuthorMadz
    o CommentTime3 hours ago
    # 23

Robbie stayed on because Worner was more badly injured. Worner got injured in training (I think the day before) and had stitches (in his knee I think). Whether Worner should have been on the bench or not is another matter.

I remember now that Worner was injured too, but then thats a bit of stupid call from Parkinson to have an injured keeper on the bench (there are emergency loans especially for keepers). But to be honest not just the Colchester game. Games when he has come back from injury he never looks quite right, Parkinson even admitted after one of the games that he wasn't 100% fit yet still played ahead of Worner, who had played well enough the week before.

It sends bad signal out and and its not going to help Elliott improve. Don't get me wrong i do think he is a good keeper, but why shouldn't his place be at risk if he either has a) a bad performance, or b) not 100% fit.

He hasn't had many bad games and kept us in a lot of matches, but i do think all players need competition and need to know they need to give it there all. 7/10 every game, sorry that sends out an even worse signal. I would say something along the lines of "Give it your all". Sometimes your all is not enough to win every game, but if you can look at yourself in the mirror and say "I did everything i could to win" then that would be fair enough. The fans respond to effort. You can't win them all but at least give it a go. Thats not just aimed at Elliott by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have just watched the goals from Saturday on the BBC website.

The penalty save was good but he looked more like a ballet dance than a goalkeeper for the goals.

Very poor positioning.
  • Options
    Any chance of swapping him for Randolph?
  • Options
    Never confident with our current keeper :(
  • Options
    Same time last year he went on to bad form, from southend game to gillingham led to Randolph playing for the rest of the season
    normally a good shot stopper but some of the goals reasonly have been very poor
  • Options
    I was watching him last night, he needs to be more commanding of his box and needs to grill the defenders when they make mistakes. He is mostly slient from what I was seeing. A couple of chances they run through our defence and got a shot on...its then when he makes the save (when poss) that he should get up and shout his nuts off at the back line!
  • Options
    yes agree rob has been decent since coming in for weaver but some of the goals that have gone in late could be effecting his game and confidence and with the team shipping goals at the way we are teams think its christmas every week perhaps we could get someone in on loan like Brad Guzan at villa or chris kirkland to give rob a break let him get himself back on track
  • Options
    No way would we get Chris Kirkland. Never in a million years!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What Motherwell fans think of Randy

Without harking back to the Ikeme story, the fact is Parky never fancied him (and said he could go in January) until he was forced to play him. And by the time Randy was given a run he was out of contract. And our very own Christian D (who has played with a few keepers) recommended him to Motherwell.

Now Motherwell fans are talking about cashing in on him for £millions.
  • Options
    If Cardiff couldn't agree a deal on Kirklands wages I think it's very unlikely we will.

The trouble is we haven't exactly got a number 2 goalkeeper that's going to keep Elliott on his toes have we.
  • Options
    Elliot just needs to be taken to one side by some one like bob bolder and told that he is number 1 so step it up, comand the back 4, dont be scared of dailly or doc because of there pasts, talk shout scream if needed at them if you see a player open pass it to him stop fannying around take control. if he can get this side of his game sorted he could be a top draw keeper his reaction saves are second to none so get some balls robbie and toughen up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]If Cardiff couldn't agree a deal on Kirklands wages I think it's very unlikely we will.

Kirkland is currently on £40k per week with his very fruitful contract at Wigan - we would not pay one tenth of that for a replacement keeper.
  • Options
    40k a week at wigan do me a favor lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lee Heywood[/cite]40k a week at wigan do me a favor lol

you'd want at least 50k per week to live there ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really think that he has to be dropped for a few games, his handling, positioning and his lack of intelligence and speed to release the ball is a joke. Get Worner in goal he looks much better than Elliot in pre-match training.

I know that some of you are going to disagree with me ans think im only saying this just because we have lost 4 in a row but something needs to be done.
  • Options
    I personally think he needs taking out of the firing line as his confidence must be shot to pieces.

What about getting Ikeme back on loan ?
  • Options
    No way he was just as bad
  • Options
    I've made my feelings known about Robbie for a long time and I am not his biggest fan.

He is an average keeper but all too often we see an opposition keeper and I think to myself "We need someone like that"

His agility is not good enough
    his footwork is not good enough
    his handling is not good enough
    His communication is not good enough
    His commandment of his area isn't good enough

He can throw a ball a long way - big wow. Most keepers could if they were carrying enough excess timber to put the weight behind it

Worner deserves a game IMO. I've been really impressed with him since the first time I saw him in a pre match warm up. He is agile, good hands and actually looks like a footballer. His kicking is pretty decent too.
    The question mark is about his height - or lack of it - but I honestly think he deserves to be given a run of games to see how he copes. It can't be any worse....
  • Options
    Maybe he should try this to put off the opposing strikers

2vrylgw.gif
  • Options
    Give Worner ago.
  • Options
    i think we need a new gk with a bit of experince.

i like Robbie, but he doesnt have the vision or command.