Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliott

Comments

• Options
    ! That save at when he tipped it on the post was unbelievable ! . also how can you blame him for the secod goal Mendoca ?
  • Options
    great performance today. hope he lifts the spirits of all associated with the club. a hard faught draw. i felt that robbie was definately switched on today. looking at the highlights on focus he earned his money this week. I would love for him to become a Charlton legend. Have a nice sunday robbie, you deserve it!
  • Options
    Been a huge critic of Rob in the past but it sounds like he was awesome yesterday. Credit where credits due. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not criticising him for the saves he made , just the 2nd goal and his erratic distribution, or maybe i'm wrong , i watched the game , and watched the game on Tv this morning , watching it on tv didn't make me think he was slow to react , when i was at the game he did look a bit cumbersome to react to it , but to be fair maybe there was nothing he could have done about it because it was deflected.

More the worry for me was how much pressure our defence was put under , i thought we didn't create enough going forward until Onion Sets & Eccles cakes came on.
  • Options
    Do some of you lot really support Charlton?

The man singlehandedly won us a point yesterday yet still he gets slagged off on Charlton Life.

Words fail me frankly!
  • Options
    I still think Elliot was one of the reasons for our recent defeats, especially the game v Exeter. But credit is due to him for yesterday, some of those saves were outstanding, just need to sort out his communication and kicking and we will have a terrific goalkeeper. Well done Rob.
  • Options
    The thing is ....... if we want to end up in the top two next season, we need a keeper that plays well every game & someone the defence can fully rely on .
    I'm afraid that neither of our goalies fit the bill as the number one choice :-(

However, very well done for yesterday Robbie.
  • Options
    Robbie deserves nothing but praise for yesterdays performance if it was Deano who played that game and made those saves people would be going on about it for ages. That two yard one was save of the season which he did after a series of other good saves. He gave us our point could have been 4-2/5-2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave2l[/cite]Robbie deserves nothing but praise for yesterdays performance if it was Deano who played that game and made those saves people would be going on about it for ages. That two yard one was save of the season which he did after a series of other good saves. He gave us our point could have been 4-2/5-2.

Agreed, but the thing is Deano rarely made a mistake, so rare in fact, that I can still remember the howler he made at home to Swindon about 11 years ago.
  • Options
    can't believe some of the tosh spouted here after Saturday's game. I thought first half he LOOKED nervous because Llera had a shocker of a game and he didn't know what was going to happen with any given situation. His distribution wasn't erratic, we were asking him to get the ball forward early when most times there was only one attacker up front, what is he supposed to do, drop it on the strikers toe ten times out of ten ? Second half, with the defence still playing like strangers, he was both brave and superb. Well done Robbie, you are a better keeper than some give you credit for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave2l[/cite]Robbie deserves nothing but praise for yesterdays performance if it was Deano who played that game and made those saves people would be going on about it for ages. That two yard one was save of the season which he did after a series of other good saves. He gave us our point could have been 4-2/5-2.

Agreed, but the thing is Deano rarely made a mistake, so rare in fact, that I can still remember the howler he made at home to Swindon about 11 years ago.

big difference though. Deano had a defence in front of him.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

big difference though. Deano had a defence in front of him.

Agreed Large, but we need to find another Deano, if we want to start climbing the Leagues.
    The acid test is, who would you choose, Deano at his best or Robbie at his best ? If the answer is Deano, then we need a better 1st choice keeper IMO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]The acid test is, who would you choose, Deano at his best or Robbie at his best ? If the answer is Deano, then we need a better 1st choice keeper IMO.

Not really a fair comparison at the moment, Rob Elliot is only 24...... while Kiely was around 29 and far more experienced at the time he signed for Charlton in a £1 million deal.
  • Options
    Plenty used to slag off Deano on the MB's around in those days. Usual case of short memories.

Most people see forums as an oppotunity to have a go at someone or other. Not me, I'm only here for the beer.....
  • Options
    I still occasionally shout "Deano!" when a goalie kicks the ball into touch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I still occasionally shout "Deano!" when a goalie kicks the ball into touch.

I always do.
  • Options
    One good game does not rectify many bad games he has had for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]One good game does not rectify many bad games he has had for us.

A player is only as good as his last game.

;o)
  • Options
    In Robbies case and Charltons, it's been the whole team that have been under performing so he stood out the other day with a great individual performance. He has not been at he's best for the last few months but so have the whole team.
  • Options
    If Robbie had not made those saves we would have been buried by another 4 goals at least, would love to see his distribution a lot better though , particularly if we have upward aspirations eventually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really like Robbie he's only young, proper Charlton gives his best can't ask for any more. If he fine tunes certain aspects of his game such as distribution we've got a real player on our hands.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]I really like Robbie he's only young, proper Charlton gives his best can't ask for any more. If he fine tunes certain aspects of his game such as distribution we've got a real player on our hands.[/quote]

Thanks J Block , my words exactly , i want him to take us back to the Prem.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]One good game does not rectify many bad games he has had for us.

Of the 100 games he has now played many more have been good than bad.

How many markedly better keepers than him are there really in league 1? Davis of Southampton probably, Lee of Brentford probably, after that I'm struggling as suggestions like Weaver that could be made are distinctly debatable in my opinion.
  • Options
    You only have to see the warm ups before the game to see that kicking and general distribution has the potential to be a strength rather than a weakness. For me he is 10% better when he carries less weight- He is looking much trimmer lately so maybe something the club is getting to grips with. Has the potential to be a top keeper and we ought to be pleased to have him.
  • Options
    Every player can improve their game , and should want to improve their game otherwise why are they here?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Of the 100 games he has now played many more have been good than bad.

How many markedly better keepers than him are there really in league 1? Davis of Southampton probably, Lee of Brentford probably, after that I'm struggling as suggestions like Weaver that could be made are distinctly debatable in my opinion.

Len' it's hard to remember names in this pub league, but Alex Smithies Hudds Eng U21 for one.

Putting it another way, playing devil's advocate. Who is worse ?
  • Options
    Fabio Capello, Your England goalkeeper problem - Sorted!
  • Options
    Off all the keepers in this League, the ones that people may swap Robbie for:

Davis- yes excellent keeper for this level but getting on a bit and still prone to a howler, Robbie is younger and there is not much between them.
    Lee- played well against us in league and cup but did not start the season for them, do not know how he has played for the rest of the seasone except that he is good at saving pens.
    Smithies- fair enough, he may well play in the Prem
    Lewis- likewise although has not really pushed on since his England call up in 2008

I would not swap Robbie for anyone in our league bar Smithies which is not going to happen. Think he can play at Championship level (hardly disgraced himself in 2009 when we had a joke of a team infront of him).
  • Options
    Lee is a beast. Every time I see him play I hate/want him for us more and more.

As said above Robbie gives it his all, is still young for a keeper and makes some fantastic saves for the club he loves.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think Robbie would be a much better keeper if he didn't have to make so many saves. Unfortunately just like the strikers up the other end, if they arent getting the service or support they are the ones left looking daft.

I've liked Robbie since he subbed Weaver in the Plymouth game in 2008. Or was it 2009?

Do not understand the Pink shirt. The yellow one is better and he plays better in it ;0)