Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliott

Comments

• Options
    Quick Google and few places suggesting he was on around £25k a week at Newcastle 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Quick Google and few places suggesting he was on around £25k a week at Newcastle 
    Farkin hell , what was he third , 4th  or 5th choice keeper and probably 3rd choice right back 
  • Options
    Why do you think he was happy to stay at Newcastle for years , mostly as 2nd choice. He was probably on a lot more than £20k a week. Those days maybe coming to an end though oohaah
  • Options
    Not a cat in hells chance he'll sign for us now. The wage cap means we could probably offer him £2-4k per week. His last contract was with Newcastle, a Premiership club. I expect he was on at least £30k per week, probably closer to £50k. I don't think he's going to cut his wages by 90% just because he's a fan. I know he is not being paid anything atm, but I'm sure at least a Championship club could offer him something better.
    But they haven’t in the 6 months since his Newcastle release. 

Chris solly has joined ebbsfleet short term with his wages probably only covering petrol and his sky bill but he is doing it in the hope of getting another couple of years at a league club. 

Elliott rejoining us on 2k a week for the rest of the season will give hime chance to play and get himself in the shop window or help us get promoted where he can demand a higher wage. If he wants his career to continue and we offer him a deal, he will sign. 

Players dropping down the leagues on short term contracts will be more common in the short term. Didn’t Shrewsbury sign a Bournemouth player until jan? He has kept fit, earned a few pounds and is in the shop window. Shrewsbury have a player who was in the premier league last year! Win win for both parties 

Sitting at home counting money will not get out of contract players a contract somewhere.

I doubt he will join either, unless Amos gets injured, even then Mb has looked okay in cup completions and I would be happy for him to play the odd game if needed.

wages should be spent on key positions like a goal scorer. 
  • Options
    Not a cat in hells chance he'll sign for us now. The wage cap means we could probably offer him £2-4k per week. His last contract was with Newcastle, a Premiership club. I expect he was on at least £30k per week, probably closer to £50k. I don't think he's going to cut his wages by 90% just because he's a fan. I know he is not being paid anything atm, but I'm sure at least a Championship club could offer him something better.
    Seriously, he's 34 and hasn't played a single game for THREE years at a club that he ended being 4th choice. Where is the evidence that all the things that got him to a PL club are still there? The reactions, the movement of the feet etc etc? Premier League club or not when a player isn't picked for any competition for that long it is because he isn't considered good enough to start. He's there as the emergency keeper even though, in reality, Newcastle would still have signed someone on loan had that situation arisen.

If he does find a club it won't be as first choice at anything higher than League 1 at best. He would be doing it for the love of the game and not for the money because he should be financially set for life already. Actually, the complete opposite reason of why he stayed at Newcastle for so long - because he knew that he wasn't going to command that lucrative a contract by moving.

• Options
    Would rather use the wage cap to bring in a striker.
  • Options
    Highly doubt we will sign him. Suspect if Amos was to get an injury in the next few weeks that rules him out for a month+ we might be tempted. Hope he manages to find a club, I think a Champ club would be interested even as No2. 
  • Options
    Why do you think he was happy to stay at Newcastle for years , mostly as 2nd choice. He was probably on a lot more than £20k a week. Those days maybe coming to an end though oohaah
    I thought he has a young family and was settled up there and for what i consider a limited keeper (in prem terms), he would have been happy on any sort of contract for the longevity he got at Newcastle and I wouldn't have expected it to be more than £10k-£15k per week max for his position in the squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Some people  thinking he could sign ........ he's here because he asked a favour, needing to get fit.

Since he left Newcastle in the summer, he's had appendicitis and surgery in October.
    Because of that, he wasn't going to be snapped up by any club.

Now there's always a chance of right place, right time should Charlton suffer an injury crisis over Christmas - and he could be offered a temporary/month contract to help us out ...... but providing Ben Amos doesn't sign for Barcelona on 1st January, the wage cap will ensure he doesn't become a part of the squad here.

EDIT: I've just seen Henry has beaten me to it. My post crossed with his.

• Options
    He also said at the end that being a boyhood fan of the club means he'd love to sign for the club if ever it came up

Certainly looks to be aiming higher if he can though
  • Options
    Did anyone actually watch the video?
    Me. Just now. And was able to write a post based on what Elliot actually said. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Did anyone actually watch the video?
    Me. Just now. And was able to write a post based on what Elliot actually said. :smile:

Come on, that's not how it works 🤣
  • Options
      Didn't see enough of Pope but thought Rob was the best goalie we developed.  He used to pickup strange injuries even when he was younger, let alone now.  Can't see either he or Solly playing higher than National League on short term contracts:  why risk a contract on players who've not played a full season in years?

Good luck to them.  The difference between Solly and Elliot's career, just goes to show you really have to take your chance when a big club comes in for you.  Solly's injury, and maybe size, meant he never quite got the chance.  Elliot's final contract at Newcastle should have earnt him enough to put his houses in order, let alone his previous two.
  • Options
    If Rob Elliott had a contract worth more than £20k a week then the football world is ten times madder than i thought 
    He was a sometime regular for a team with a sizeable budget .  
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
      Didn't see enough of Pope but thought Rob was the best goalie we developed.  He used to pickup strange injuries even when he was younger, let alone now.  Can't see either he or Solly playing higher than National League on short term contracts:  why risk a contract on players who've not played a full season in years?

Good luck to them.  The difference between Solly and Elliot's career, just goes to show you really have to take your chance when a big club comes in for you.  Solly's injury, and maybe size, meant he never quite got the chance.  Elliot's final contract at Newcastle should have earnt him enough to put his houses in order, let alone his previous two.
    Randolph was better than Elliott as evidenced by his 50 international caps
    Randolph clearly valued playing, whereas Rob seemed to enjoy being a reserve keeper at Newcastle. I remember Steve Harper was no 2 keeper there for years behind Given, it’s a living
  • Options
    Would not have recognised him.  Always had a soft spot for Robbie.  One of our own.  Hope he gets himself another professional contract quickly.
  • Options
    "It's lovely to be back!" Former Addick @the_dilsh has been training with the club as he looks to build his fitness. Watch his 15-minute interview, in full and for free, on Valley Pass

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's made enough money I suspect to not have to worry, if we had a goalkeeper need and he was fit and ready he'd be a great short term signing. But I don't think he's needed but still great to see him back and i'm sure he'll pass on some wisdom to AMB.
  • Options
    Accommodating players in this way is really good "networking".
  • Options
    Surely he wasn’t on that sort of money?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He was on 25k a week. Krul was on 50k when he was there.

Nick Pope for reference is already on 35k a week at Burnley who are one of the lowest payers in the PL.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:

Nick Pope for reference is already on 35k a week at Burnley who are one of the lowest payers in the PL.
    I wish I was a goalkeeper in the Premier League.  :unamused:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:

You'd be surprised how many third choice, so not even bench warmers, earn that.

Paulo Gazzaniga £20k (Tottenham)
    Lee Grant £30k (Man U)
    Even Scott Carson is still picking up £25k a week at Man City
    Willy Caballero £35k
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:

You'd be surprised how many third choice, so not even bench warmers, earn that.

Paulo Gazzaniga £20k (Tottenham)
    Lee Grant £30k (Man U)
    Even Scott Carson is still picking up £25k a week at Man City
    Willy Caballero £35k
    Grant actually 4th choice this season, can’t believe they’ve kept him. Not as if he was tied into a contract, they gave him a new deal! 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Elliot was not as good as Randolph who didn't  waste his career sitting on his bum. Why do we need a non playing keeper in our squad. How would  Maynard Brewer feel. 
    The only thing re AMB is he really needs to be getting games at his age.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    ColinTat said:

Elliot was not as good as Randolph who didn't  waste his career sitting on his bum. Why do we need a non playing keeper in our squad. How would  Maynard Brewer feel. 
    The only thing re AMB is he really needs to be getting games at his age.
    55 games in 11 years. He has needed games for years. A career wasted. To be honest there is no form guide for any prospective employer to go on.l have known habitual work shy Dodgers do more than he has. 

Do we employ a guy who wasted his career ? Or another one with known form to allow AMB  experience away.

Elliott clearly has put his financial welfare in front of his football career. Good luck to him.

A bit like Lyle Taylor.
  • Options
    He chose an easy life on very good money. I'm sure part of him will always regret not playing every week somewhere else, but who are we to judge? I'm bloody lazy as well.