Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliott

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    He chose an easy life on very good money. I'm sure part of him will always regret not playing every week somewhere else, but who are we to judge? I'm bloody lazy as well.
    Why slog your guts out for less?
  • Options
    I have no issue with Elliot choosing the money over game time path. It's a short career after all. However, I think that he is somewhat naive to believe that he has very much chance of a first choice position anywhere let alone in a Championship side.

Effectively, he's been retired for three years and there are only 40 places available - places that are filled by many of the best keepers in the world. Dillon Phillips can't get a gig at Cardiff for that very reason and he's been playing regularly at that level and in his prime age wise.

The only opening for him I see is as a 4th choice keeper, on a "retainer", at a PL Club purely for them to keep their home grown quota up - if clubs still have to do that? Richard Wright was the same age as Elliot (34), having only played 3 games in the previous 2 years, when he signed for City and he didn't play a single game in any competition during his 4 years there.

I can't believe that Elliot is doing this for the money and if he wants to stay in football I hope that he tries to get his coaching badges. I'm sure he would bring a lot to the game as a keeping coach.
  • Options
    Elliot done his ACL playing for Ireland, I think in the same season that he was first choice at Newcastle, had that not happened, his playing career would have been very different.
    Good luck to him, he’s made his family secure and that’s what any man wants to do.
    Good point.

He didn't set out to be a reserve keeper, it was his injuries that stopped him playing more games.
  • Options
    Elliot done his ACL playing for Ireland, I think in the same season that he was first choice at Newcastle, had that not happened, his playing career would have been very different.
    Good luck to him, he’s made his family secure and that’s what any man wants to do.
    That was in 2016, 4 years ago

He was fairly regular in 2017/18, but since then hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. If he really wanted to play he could have demanded to go out on loan, as he was well down the pecking order
  • Options
    That was in 2016, 4 years ago

He was fairly regular in 2017/18, but since then hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. If he really wanted to play he could have demanded to go out on loan, as he was well down the pecking order
    Indeed - it will actually be three years on the 27th December since he last played. He hasn't been injured in all that time.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I cant comment on his current fitness, or ability, but i love Robbie Elliott, and would love to have him back at the club, in some capacity.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Never thought i'd be clamouring for Elliott to come back to the club....  
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    He’s not that old for a keeper, I would welcome him back at the club.

See appendix below.🥸😎

He’ll be 35 in April.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    ColinTat said:
      Didn't see enough of Pope but thought Rob was the best goalie we developed.  He used to pickup strange injuries even when he was younger, let alone now.  Can't see either he or Solly playing higher than National League on short term contracts:  why risk a contract on players who've not played a full season in years?

Good luck to them.  The difference between Solly and Elliot's career, just goes to show you really have to take your chance when a big club comes in for you.  Solly's injury, and maybe size, meant he never quite got the chance.  Elliot's final contract at Newcastle should have earnt him enough to put his houses in order, let alone his previous two.
    Elliot was not as good as Randolph who didn't  waste his career sitting on his bum. Why do we need a non playing keeper in our squad. How would  Maynard Brewer feel. 
    The only thing re AMB is he really needs to be getting games at his age.
    55 games in 11 years. He has needed games for years. A career wasted. To be honest there is no form guide for any prospective employer to go on.l have known habitual work shy Dodgers do more than he has. 

Do we employ a guy who wasted his career ? Or another one with known form to allow AMB  experience away.

don't forget Amos has sat on his arse the whole of the last two seasons (one with us and one with Millwall) and I don't see many writing him off.

Don't forget there is only one keeper in a team and if the incumbent is doing well then you are basically stuffed. Much easier to get game time if you're an outfield player, even if played out of position.

• Options
    Worth trying to sign him and send Maynard-Brewer to League Two on loan?
    If we can get him in with the wage cap then I'd definitely agree with this
    Could say he's a bit like Jonny Williams where he shouldnt really need to worry about wages now

I'm surprised he's back down South as have read a few times that he fell in love with living up North etc. and was happy to stay up there

Perhaps I'm just being cynical but if I was a 3rd choice keeper earning that kind of money I'd be very vocal about how wonderful the area/culture/fans were too. 

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    ColinTat said:
      Didn't see enough of Pope but thought Rob was the best goalie we developed.  He used to pickup strange injuries even when he was younger, let alone now.  Can't see either he or Solly playing higher than National League on short term contracts:  why risk a contract on players who've not played a full season in years?

Good luck to them.  The difference between Solly and Elliot's career, just goes to show you really have to take your chance when a big club comes in for you.  Solly's injury, and maybe size, meant he never quite got the chance.  Elliot's final contract at Newcastle should have earnt him enough to put his houses in order, let alone his previous two.
    Elliot was not as good as Randolph who didn't  waste his career sitting on his bum. Why do we need a non playing keeper in our squad. How would  Maynard Brewer feel. 
    55 games in 11 years. He has needed games for years. A career wasted. To be honest there is no form guide for any prospective employer to go on.l have known habitual work shy Dodgers do more than he has. 

Do we employ a guy who wasted his career ? Or another one with known form to allow AMB  experience away.

don't forget Amos has sat on his arse the whole of the last two seasons (one with us and one with Millwall) and I don't see many writing him off.

Don't forget there is only one keeper in a team and if the incumbent is doing well then you are basically stuffed. Much easier to get game time if you're an outfield player, even if played out of position.

with the 5 subs, I'd be happy for Elliott to get 5 mins up front here and there
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Worth trying to sign him and send Maynard-Brewer to League Two on loan?
    If we can get him in with the wage cap then I'd definitely agree with this
    Could say he's a bit like Jonny Williams where he shouldnt really need to worry about wages now

I'm surprised he's back down South as have read a few times that he fell in love with living up North etc. and was happy to stay up there

Perhaps I'm just being cynical but if I was a 3rd choice keeper earning that kind of money I'd be very vocal about how wonderful the area/culture/fans were too. 

He said in the interview with Olly that his kids are Geordies now, poor sods!! :D

YTS1978 said:
    My favourite Elliott moment was at half time away at Southampton, i think? He was "injured" at the time but was jumping around singing, beer going everywhere! You can't beat that sort of professionalism in my book. Welcome back Rob. 
    Rob was standing right behind me in the away end that game, he also went to that 4-0 win over Hartlepool in 2011/12
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos was number 2 keeper last season and probably wouldn't have re-signed if Dillon was going to be number 1 again this season

Elliott wasn't even the number 2/Cup keeper last season, as Darlow had that role
  • Options
    If Rob Elliott had a contract worth more than £20k a week then the football world is ten times madder than i thought 
    If you think that's mad then consider that Arsenal have paid Mesut Ozil £14 million since he last made an appearance for them.
  • Options
    He’s not that old for a keeper, I would welcome him back at the club.

See appendix below.🥸😎

He’ll be 35 in April.

Ffs, I have played more football recently than he has.  I'm a bit too short for a goalkeeper mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    ColinTat said:

Elliott clearly has put his financial welfare in front of his football career. Good luck to him.

A bit like Lyle Taylor.
    I don't think Elliot would have refused to see out his contract if asked though Elfs? So a bit like Lyle as you say, but not entirely. 

It's that bit of difference that makes me disappointed in Lyle and not so in Rob.   
  • Options
    Elliott was Newcastle first choice for a bit, didn’t he win player of the year? When injuries kicked and and he lost his place, he was probably content at that stages a he had young kids settled in the area. I think there was an article about Elliot being from a poor family and he couldn’t afford to get to training as a younster and fell out with pardew over it. If this is true, I don’t blame him for spending a few years earning lots of money from doing nothing. His kids won’t go through what he did.

I doubt he leftbcharlton in his early 20’s with the ambition of being Newcastle’s 4th choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    I have no issue with Elliot choosing the money over game time path. It's a short career after all. However, I think that he is somewhat naive to believe that he has very much chance of a first choice position anywhere let alone in a Championship side.

Effectively, he's been retired for three years and there are only 40 places available - places that are filled by many of the best keepers in the world. Dillon Phillips can't get a gig at Cardiff for that very reason and he's been playing regularly at that level and in his prime age wise.

The only opening for him I see is as a 4th choice keeper, on a "retainer", at a PL Club purely for them to keep their home grown quota up - if clubs still have to do that? Richard Wright was the same age as Elliot (34), having only played 3 games in the previous 2 years, when he signed for City and he didn't play a single game in any competition during his 4 years there.

I can't believe that Elliot is doing this for the money and if he wants to stay in football I hope that he tries to get his coaching badges. I'm sure he would bring a lot to the game as a keeping coach.
    He ended up playing one game for Watford in the EFL Cup. The good news is that he is staying in football and near to where he spent nine years of his career:

He must have a lot of time on his hands, buttoning his shirt up alone must take forever.
    Groups of two buttons, is that the Coldsteam or Grenadier Guards?
  • Options
    Hmmm...if Mac moves on he could have done a deputy job for us.
  • Options
    Hmmm...if Mac moves on he could have done a deputy job for us.
    He seems very happy in the Northeast now
  • Options
    Dear me - seems a bit young for the midlife crisis shirts!
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

He ended up playing one game for Watford in the EFL Cup. The good news is that he is staying in football and near to where he spent nine years of his career:

He must have a lot of time on his hands, buttoning his shirt up alone must take forever.
    Groups of two buttons, is that the Coldsteam or Grenadier Guards?
    Coldstream. Expect nothing less in that neck of the woods.