Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West ham almost certain to go down

Comments

• Options
    Since when has south east London been in kent ?
  • Options

It was an adminstrative part of Kent and Surrey upto 1855, the traditional county boudary between Kent and Surrey in the greater London area is the River Quaggy/Deptford creek.

Which is why Kent County Cricket club played match at Blackheat until the earl 1970`s, and Surrey`s home ground is the Oval.

• Options
    @BexleyDan you're getting worse at these wind up posts!
  • Options
    Apparently glasses and bottles were thrown at Robert Green at the end of season do , luckily it all went underneath him.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I thought the Kent / Surrey boundary was the Ravensbourne and before that the Poole River and not the Quaggy . The Quaggy runs through Eltham and Lee Green . Places like Beckenham are within the old boundaries of Kent whereas as Dulwich / Croydon etc are in Surrey .

Kent County Cricket Club recognised Bexley , Bromley and Lewisham as their London boroughs.

• Options
    No wind up Sparrows. Surely the fact that Millwall have moved on from that sort of thing whilst West Ham remain stuck in a time warp is good?
  • Options
    messaged you sparrows
  • Options
    Is this post about next year in the championship.....???:D:D
  • Options
    Classy move by Gold and Sullivan to fire Grant after the game...its very trivial but has me wondering how did Grant get home from Wigan...I don't think he would have been allowed on the team bus or would he?
  • Options
    Apparently the West Ham board asked Wigan if they could use a room and were told the trophy room was empty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grant was offered a private car but the players insisted he travelled with them, which he did.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Apparently the West Ham board asked Wigan if they could use a room and were told the trophy room was empty.
    Not true, let's not forget, that Wigan beat the spanners in the last minute of the broken windscreen trophy.
  • Options

I thought the Kent / Surrey boundary was the Ravensbourne and before that the Poole River and not the Quaggy . The Quaggy runs through Eltham and Lee Green . Places like Beckenham are within the old boundaries of Kent whereas as Dulwich / Croydon etc are in Surrey .

Kent County Cricket Club recognised Bexley , Bromley and Lewisham as their London boroughs.

I am happy to be corrected Richard, these are the old boundaries before London was formed. But this is why Charlton are a Kent football lub and in the past we had players for Kent CC, I can think of only one Charlton player who played cricket for Surrey but I am happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    Micky Stewart - Charlton, Surrey & England.
  • Options

It was an adminstrative part of Kent and Surrey upto 1855, the traditional county boudary between Kent and Surrey in the greater London area is the River Quaggy/Deptford creek.

Which is why Kent County Cricket club played match at Blackheat until the earl 1970`s, and Surrey`s home ground is the Oval.

Correct although 1855 is not the date when Charlton officially left the administrative county of Kent. That was in 1889 at the formation of the County Of London. At that time Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich, Lee, Eltham, Charlton, Kidbrooke and Lewisham were transfered out of Kent, followed by Penge in 1900.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wonder where we got the reputation for being anoraks/trainspotters??????!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I wonder where we got the reputation for being anoraks/trainspotters??????!!!!!!!!!!
    No I checked it out when that ex Spanner pr*k Scally claimed that Gillingham is the only club in Kent. 

The truth ain't about anoraks its just the truth!
  • Options
    Before anyone gets too excited, Gold and Sullivan oversaw several yo-yo seasons at Birmingham - don't expect a mass exodus of players and expect the Hamsters to be challenging for promotion next season.

Still, nice to see em get relegated all the same.
    I don't think Brum were a Billion dollars in the red though.
  • Options
    No I checked it out when that ex Spanner pr*k Scally claimed that Gillingham is the only club in Kent. 

The truth ain't about anoraks its just the truth!
    So is Gill the only league club in Kent at the moment?
  • Options
    So as you were formed in 1905, you were formed when Charlton was part of London, thereby a London club, not Kent?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I suspect well over 50% of our support comes from kent, maybe 70%. So maybe we are a Kent club who have their ground in london.

• Options

i saw Kent play at Blackheath a couple of times around 1969/1970  inthe Sunday league  it was packed.

However we are a Sarf LOndon club and always will be ----FACT

• Options
    70% ? no mate
  • Options
    As everyone knows, Millwall don't have any fans in Kent...
  • Options
    @redman comes from Kent, or have moved out to Kent?

@TheRedRobin we've got plenty of fans in Kent. & disturbingly too many who come over from Germany, Sweden, Italy, Holland, Scotland, etc.
  • Options

I suspect well over 50% of our support comes from kent, maybe 70%. So maybe we are a Kent club who have their ground in london.

I often get criticised for stupid posts. I think I have been surpassed here though.
  • Options
    this cannot be surpassed lol
  • Options

as you were formed in 1905, you were formed when Charlton was part of London, thereby a London club, not Kent?

As most of Millwall's fanbase were London dockers when you were formed surely that makes you an East End club?

• Options

In an act of supreme anorakness, I found the link below.

I thought that some of you might like to make the pilgramage to the Vesta Rd/Pepys Rd roundabout just by Telegraph Hill to see the historic marker between the glorious land of Hengist (not just a county, but a kingdom to boot) and the land of, erm, Simon Jordan (and Croydon, hideous stripey football tops etc.). Knock yerselves out.

I think that we can all agree that Charlton is considerably east of that line and thus not only in the greatest city in the world, but also the greatest and most historic county in England.  I like to think of our beloved CAFC as the pride of both sarf London and kent. Yay us.

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2011/01/kent-surrey-border-se14.html

Oh, and aren't our friends from the rusty toolbox interlopers from the Isle of Dogs (Middlesex)?  Shoo spanners, shoo!

• Options
    So as you were formed in 1905, you were formed when Charlton was part of London, thereby a London club, not Kent?
    Charlton has always been in Kent. They just changed the council administrative boundaries that's all. Its like saying that Manchester isn't in Lancashire, just because they have created a new borough. The County of London was created in the 19th Century having never existed prior to that.

It is correct to say that Charlton is historically in Kent but also in London.