Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County bid for Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    Its a very good idea if he isnt good enough and i dont think he is, he done ok for us but i dont think he is what we need
  • Options
    The board have done everything right so far so lets trust them!
  • Options
    It must be that we have lined up a new striker!
  • Options
    Suprising considering Danny Green and Benson have a good understanding. As shown at Aldershot last night.
  • Options
    Don't think the bid would of been accepted unless Powell had someone else lined up .
  • Options
    If he goes then I'll guess we'll be seeing some loans coming in.

I'd be disappointed as I think he'll get his fair share of goals this season, even if not first choice.
  • Options

I don't think this is a huge surprise, Benson and BWP can't play together and there is no way that Benson is going to dislodge BWP as the main striker.

A bid of 150,000 is too good to turn down and will allow us to bring in one or two more players, we still need a centre-half and now two more strikers, including a target man.

• Options
    it's a insulting bid from notts i think, and stupid we've accepted it. i hope benson just says no to any talks. we've signed a winger in danny green who knows him like the back of his hand. and will supply goals for him. it's only a comparison but look at beckham and yorke they knew each other and worked alot better, yorke leaves. never hit the heights of when he did with beckham's supply. i don't want a new strike. benson will score goals this year, and he's not a lay about and chase's down. he's changed his game to us over the course of season and why do we buy this creative midfield and let benson who's a poacher leave.

stupid decision this is.
  • Options
    Calm down everyone. Jeez.

If the board and manager think it's best for the club if we agree to sell him then so be it.

THEY HAVE A PLAN TO GET US IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE ASAP AND WOULD NOT JEOPARDISE THAT (did no-one see "Despatches" the other night?)

We would obviously have someone or perhaps two others lined up to replace him so let them do their business.

Having said that I would personally like him to stay though as i agree with O-Randy-Hunt in that he will score goals this season with better service.
  • Options
    Not sure this is anything to do with the budget being tight. He's 31 and £150k is a lot for a limited player. I'd keep him as part of the squad as he will score goals, but maybe board and Powell are confident they can bring in two better strikers.

It's probably a bit like when we let Sodje and Abbott go. The club were happy to sell them as they were never going to be here in the long term.

I don't think we were ever going to sign anyone while in Spain either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will be very sad if he does leave. He contributes more than it seems and much of the anger directed at him was unfair. 

If he does indeed agree personal terms (I'm not sure he will want to leave), I wouldn't mind seeing him score against us just to silence his critics. Although obviously, I'd love him to stay and score against Notts instead!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well if he goes hopefully it will allow us to sign a centre back with a bit of pace. Much rather have a solid back 4 this season as there are always PL youngsters/reserves being loaned out (Ecclestone???)
  • Options

150K is good value, done ok for us last year, but we shouldnt have gone in for him IMO ,

he is 32 we get back over half what we paid for,

i agree he is not lazy i agree he tries hard,

wrong time for him if we are looking to progress sell BWP now that would be a poor decision, not your 3rd choice striker, i dont know if hayes is better than him but if powell does then so be it

• Options
    as someone said on here you can see green and benson have an understanding! surely you dont buy the winger who used to set up most the goals for the striker at former club then sell the striker!!?? will come back to bite us! and would have thought piss off green!! well that the business of football!! also benson was signed by parky!! but i dont see jacko doc etc leaving!!
  • Options

150K is good value, done ok for us last year, but we shouldnt have gone in for him IMO ,

he is 32 we get back over half what we paid for,

i agree he is not lazy i agree he tries hard,

wrong time for him if we are looking to progress sell BWP now that would be a poor decision, not your 3rd choice striker, i dont know if hayes is better than him but if powell does then so be it

I think you are bang on with the age thing NLA, once he gets to 32 then we won't get a fee for him, Notts County are willing to pay 150K now so we may as well take it.

I was always a bit uneasy about Bennos age, primarily because I felt that by the time we brought his game up to L1 level that he would be too old anyway.

• Options
    Wasnt there talk of Zak Ansah coming in on loan? Perhaps that is in the bag.
  • Options
    Watched him last night at Aldershot and it was a quality headed goal.

However, there were several times in the (friendly) game when he was out-jumped or robbed in possession - and the shot in the 1st half that hit the advertising board was straight out of the Blue Square league.

• Options
    I am very suprised to see this. Would have wanted to keep him but as people say he is 32 and won't have many years left in him.... We probably have a striker ready to be signed for this to happen. I think £150,0000 is good vaule if we could re-coup that and bring in a £550,000 rated striker either to buy outright or to laon in with a view to sign perm if we get promoted.....
  • Options
    All part of the Robbie Keane master plan!
  • Options
    This is the benson that had to leave twitter because 'fans' were having a pop, all of a sudden he is too good to leave? Wonder what it takes for Powell and the board to get some support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    forget what i said earlier because i forgot he does not have a left foot! a pro footballer who cant use there left foot shouldnt be a pro IMO ;-)
  • Options
    its on sky sports as well now
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Please let it be true and that it doesn't turn out to be a false dawn by failing to agree personal agree personal terms like the Francis situation with Bournemouth. Yet another poor signing imho by the previous manager (banned by Henry from mentioning his name) hopefully on his way out.
  • Options

Very strange this, if Benson goes we would only have 2 senior forwards at the Club, I cannot believe they would do that, also Danny Green was whipping the ball in nice and early for him last night and he got a goal, Danny Green is the ideal man to supply Benson, they really must have something else lined up.

• Options
    Not saying this is anyway connected, but an unnamed club has bid for Adam Le Fondre.
  • Options
    wheres this afka?
  • Options
    Not saying this is anyway connected, but an unnamed club has bid for Adam Le Fondre.
    Hopefully Us !!!!
  • Options

There has to be someone else lined up. Forget wages / budget etc - you don't leave yourself with 2 strikers a couple of weeks before the season starts unless you have someone sitting and waiting to come in.

4 strikers is the bog standard norm. We will have BWP and Hayes. Move Benson on, and we can then get a big target bully boy (Steve Howard please) and a pacy off the shoulder player (a la Ecclestone).

• Options

I spoke to Martin Allen in April and he rates Benson highly and couldn't understand why it wasn't working for him at our place.

Charltonised....

Seems totally mental to buy a player that needs service into the box, not bring anyone in for that job, THEN bring in the bloke who did it for him at Dagenham, then seel him!

Only Charlton.

• Options
    We're going to have to offer Euell a deal at this rate...