Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County bid for Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    Have every faith that a deal or two for strikers is in place alredy. Benno will get goals at this level, but suspect like McCormack and Francis, he deems him to be insufficiently tecnically able to do the things he wants the team to do. Had no issues with Benson, he worked hard and can only wish him well if the deal goes through.
  • Options
    Millers reject bid for Le Fondre http://www.eatsleepsport.com/rotherham-united/millers-reject-bid-for-le-fondre-1243740.html
    Reading a Rotherham forum, someone thinks it was Carlisle who had the bid rejected...
  • Options
    Why is everyone saying don't sell him because we've got Green to supply him? Don't you think Green will supply the replacement just as well? What we want is a striker who has a better touch, is more physical and scores more goals than Benson.Before everyone goes on we are League 1, and we won't attract that type of player, I am aware of that!, I like others hope the replacement is lined up, and will be like this. Green wil supply this player aswell as BWP.
  • Options

I have to say that Le Fondre is small &  I don't  think he's what we are looking for. As he is playing for Rotherham he is much more likely to go to a Yorkshire club or at least a Northern club.

Agree with this.  He's another lower league player that may or may not come off.  Don't see that his style or attributes make him a good partner for BWP.  Would prefer we got a strong aeriel target striker to compliment what we have.      

• Options
    This really doesn't make a great deal of footballing sense unless we have another striker lined up. It may of course mean a reasonable price for a 32 year old. My gut feeling is that somebody/ies will be coming in very shortly.
  • Options

He worked really hard for the team and showed a genuine improvement towards the end of the season, although still dont think he is actually good enough for Charlton and where we want to be, that being said we're nowhere near there. If he's replaced with someone who will get 10 goals throughout the season then he wont be missed, but he will do a good job for another league 1 team where he is the leading striker

• Options
    Well if it is us that have bid for Le Fondre, we will have to up our bid considerably according to this article. Probably takes him out of our price range:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21072011/63/millers-reject-bid-le-fondre.html
  • Options
    So why exactly would you play him, when you was desperately trying to sort out your side a couple of weeks before the season starts ?
  • Options
    Id b gutted to see him leave.. think he's a great poacher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with several others; comes as a surprise and I'd like to keep him but imagine CP must have one or two replacements pretty much secured to let him leave at this stage. Took the goal well last night and would surely thrive on good service from Green etc. but so might a younger or more complete replacement. Let's hope the replacement(s) can score at least as consistently. A traditional No.9 and nippy cover (Waggy?) for the games BWP will probably miss would be nice.
  • Options
    peteshep 1905 said

'Id b gutted to see him leave.. think he's a great poacher'

Is that of Eggs or Haddock?
  • Options
    as soon as i pressed post, i new that was coming.. lol
  • Options

Chris played him because it is only an offer and he had been planing all week to play him, the games are not about starting 11 they are friendlys to enable players to get match fit ,

i really struggle to see the big problem in this

• Options
    No hard feelings he just wasn't my favourite - wish him well but given his age and £150k on the table lets take the money and trust the management to have a younger more long term investment lined up.
  • Options
    I think it's posturing. They sell him now or he leaves for nothing next summer. That's the logic with offloading Benson now. He will be able to leave for nothing next summer and we are hardly dependent on him. If he'd scored twenty plus goals for us last season I'd feel differently, but £150k plus his wages for the coming season would probably be put to better use on a younger players on a longer term contract.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Adam Le Fondre (AKA Alf) is 24 so fits the young age group being assembled at the Valley and fits the bill regarding BA's earlier posting, as StrikerFirmani said he is on the small side he's 5'11'' (thanks Macronate) however, this hasn't prevented him from scoring 50 goals in two seasons!! Albeit in League Two. He managed to score against our rivals Sheff' Wed's in a pre-season game and it appears he has plenty of suitors chasing him (can't all be wrong)?  When you scan the results in the Sunday papers his name is invariably on the scoresheet, was Sir Clive a tall player? What's this obsession with big players? Goals are what counts at the end of the day and winning games is everything if we are to be promoted this year. We need a proven striker to play with BWP or backup if he gets injured during the season. If needs be get a big guy in and lump it long, or have we been there before? 

• Options
    Le Fondre is 5ft 11".
  • Options
    Haven't read the thread but i must say i'm starting to get the impression that CP is hanging on my every word - i make a prediction / judgement and he follows it up. Go on CP, take the £150k - lets cut our losses on this. 
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Macronate said

Le Fondre is 5ft 11".

Now wait for the mass outcry of 'He's still too short'

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think some people have forgotton that we are not in the Premiership with regard to Le Fondre - we aren't that far removed from League Two and can't see that it is that much of a step up !
  • Options
    I can see the replacement being a loanee  -hopefully a good one. But do think we need 4 strikers although I aslo think it could be Waggy's better position (slightly withdrawn striker) - BWP has a suspect knee so if he is out we start to look a bit thin in that respect. I think tbh, Notts County might be better equiped to match his wages than Bournemouth were for Francis. Lets see what business is done
  • Options
    The world wont stop spinning if he goes. Average player who will be replaced. Cant understand the fuss.
  • Options
    Hughes (spit) and Benson is not a bad front two for Notts.

Don't know what other business they have done this summer but could be in the goals at least.
  • Options
    Bad move for the player and the club in my opinion. Let's hope Benno does not want to move up north.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ''Henry Irving" said - Hughes (spit) and Benson is not a bad front two for Notts. Don't know what other business they have done this summer but could be in the goals at least.
    Hughes is having an operation to rectify his annoying goal celebration dance!
  • Options
    I can see the replacement being a loanee  -hopefully a good one. But do think we need 4 strikers although I aslo think it could be Waggy's better position (slightly withdrawn striker) - BWP has a suspect knee so if he is out we start to look a bit thin in that respect. I think tbh, Notts County might be better equiped to match his wages than Bournemouth were for Francis. Lets see what business is done

I agree with the point about Waggy being able to play as a deeper sitting striker. Plenty of other players have started off as wide players and ended up as centre forwards so this is always an option. Which might mean we are looking at maybe signing one other striker and suplementing the forwards with a loanee.

The board and CP have played a blinder over the summer in the signings so far, I'm confident they won't mess it all up now by leaving us way too short up front (in every sense of the word!).

• Options

Hughes (spit) and Benson is not a bad front two for Notts. Don't know what other business they have done this summer but could be in the goals at least.
    Hughes is having an operation to rectify his annoying goal celebration dance!
    Hope it's to remove the tosser's head.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He's 5'11 (ish)
  • Options
    Le Fondre would be great at this level.  Think he will be out of our price range though