Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County bid for Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    Not saying this is anyway connected, but an unnamed club has bid for Adam Le Fondre.
    Would be happy with this , i bear no ill will or malice towards Paul Benson , nice guy and everything , and i do think he will score goals , but if we can get a younger player to do the same thing , that is long term thinking imo.

Question is ,  is Le Fondre better at this level?  that is unknown as yet , so if we do get him i hope the fee reflects his potential ability, rather than a thumping fee up front, for a league 2 player.
  • Options
    Offering Euell a deal and getting rid of Beno is not a good idea. I would give him one more season to see what he can do. He has taken time to play the 'Charlton Way' and the same will happen to a new addition. He still has a good 3 years left in him....
  • Options
    I echo others thoughts on here.....why sell Benson when we have just bought his main supply man at Daggers? If we have someone (or two) lined up I hope they are not journeymen looking to extend thier career!! We need an expereinced goal hungry striker or two that can deliver more than 10 goals in 36 games.....if not keep Benno!!!
  • Options
    Not anti-Benson but I don't get the "why sell now we have Green" view.

If Green can cross the ball then he can do that do any player in a red shirt.  BWP, Hayes, Le Fondre or whoever. 

Yes, he worked well with Benno but that's not to say we have to keep them both.

Or maybe Green is being sold too : - )
  • Options

Who says Euell

Chill time folks i know we are all desperate for success but this is all about building a squad capable of competing, be honest Benson did not set us alight last year, nor did our midfield yet everyone is happy with the players bought in there,

What if we get a better player than benno, then he will be forgotten and it wll have been a master stroke

If we dont and we get a duffer or no one then the rights and wrongs can be argued til the cows come home, the fella aint even gone nor the replacement named,

Le Fonde would be a risk but calculated imo

lets just wait an see

before we call the samaritans

• Options

A little bit surprised when Benno said himself last season that CP had asked him to add more to his game rather than just scoring and there was evidence of this happening.

Thought he was nailed on to be our 3rd forward but can't blame him for going if Notts want to make him a first choice c/f.

• Options

I cannot believe this board at times. It would appear that some posters are like "soap" characters where their personality and view keep changing.

Ok this might not be the case and it maybe that previously the majority who have criticised or at least tolerated Benson are now mainly silent & the more silent posters in the past now, just happen to  be posting in his defence.

It just seems strange than there never appeared to be many posters strongly pro Benson (yes many said he was ok) & yet now  we seem to have an outcry.

The truth as I see it, was that Parky had virtually no money to spend & bought Benson for a deal costing £200K. That was possibly £100K fee & £100k pa wages.

He's 31 or 32 , he's ok, he's a bit lightweight and although he tries, he is certainly not a top player, even in this league. He probably will get you goals, as long as they are set up for him (in the main).

However, why do people assume, that our board are so thick that we would let him go and start the season with 2 strikers, when we have the means to not do so (ie we are no longer heading for administration).

Ok, I might be wrong & the board are stupid and we do start the season with 2 strikers and or we are still skint, but on the facts so far I can't imagine for 1 second that will be the case.

In summary I have no problem if Benson stays and I have no problem if he goes, if we are going to get in a player that we think is better.

Rant over.

• Options
    Covered End agree with you.
  • Options

Benson was not the best strike partner for BWP who will be our main hope for goals this coming season.

Think there is obviously a striker coming in to replace Benson who will fit bill for CP.

• Options
    Not anti-Benson but I don't get the "why sell now we have Green" view.

If Green can cross the ball then he can do that do any player in a red shirt.  BWP, Hayes, Le Fondre or whoever. 

Yes, he worked well with Benno but that's not to say we have to keep them both.

Or maybe Green is being sold too : - )
    Henry yes you rasie a good point that if the service is good then a good striker will profit. My point was that last year with poor service (in the main) he still scored 10 goals in 36 games. If he had better service, ala Green, then this year he could have been a 20 goal striker....the one we've all wanted for many seasons now.  However if he goes then ok, but I just hope that his replacement(s) are going to be better, if not then why sell? I trust CP in his dealings and there may be a great replacment lined-up, if not we only have 2 senior stikers...BWP and Hayes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not unhappy with this assuming that CP has someone lined up NOW............no point letting Benson go & then failing to bring anyone in by August 6th, I've never really been a fan of Benson and he has shown last season that A) he is not a prolific striker & B) has not got the close control needed for a  front man.

just hoping it is Le Fondre we would be bringing in to replace him !!!!!!!

• Options

Im not suprised at all by this. Everything the board seem to be doing is about making footballing decisions with a financial head.

Would they rather have a 32 year old or a 22 year old? If they can get 150k for the 32 and replace him with someone younger with a good potential sell on amount later on then they'll do it.

Every purchase we've made appears to be an "investment". Not just to try to get promoted, but young enough that should we sell them we've got a good chance of making a profit.

I wont be suprised to see him go, and be replaced by someone who might not appear better on paper, but younger with higher potential sell on value.

• Options
    I have to say that Le Fondre is small &  I don't  think he's what we are looking for. As he is playing for Rotherham he is much more likely to go to a Yorkshire club or at least a Northern club.
  • Options

"Yes, he worked well with Benno."

THAT IS THE POINT, HENRY!

• Options
    Good posts CE and BA,

Let's wait and see who comes in to replace him.

PS but if it's not Tevez the play things are exiting the perambulator
  • Options

"Yes, he worked well with Benno."

THAT IS THE POINT, HENRY!

Did he work well with Benno last season?

Did he do well regardless last season?

Can he only work with Benno or is BWP unable to read one of his crosses
  • Options

It is crazy if true.

Both our fans and Benno spent last season getting used to eachother.

So after all that has settled down why sell him now?!

Euell is no replacement... and  Fondre hasn't scored 10 goals in league one has he?!

Unless its a championship player who is a consistent goalscorer coming in..then I wont be pleased. 

• Options

Euell will NOT be his replacement - he is only training with us to keep fit.

If Le Fondre joins us I predict he will score more that 10 goals  (and wont get sent off TWICE in a season)

• Options
    We must have another striker in the bag. Surely we wouldn't sell benno with 2 weeks to go until the season starts.

I like benson. He may not be the strongest and may not be a target man type of player but what he does bring to the team is goals. He will get us 15+ goals next season. He has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. He will get on the end of crosses. He got us a few last season with shyte service and would get a few more this season with greens delivery
  • Options
    We simply must have 1 or 2 replacements lined up or this would make no sense. Recently we seem to be letting players go and then announcing a signing soon after so that will probably happen although personally I'd like Benson to stay. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Euell played in the PL last season, if his wage demands aren't excessive it wouldn't be that bad as a short term option.

Think it might be Sheff Utd who had the le Fondre bid accepted.
  • Options

just hoping it is Le Fondre we would be bringing in to replace him !!!!!!!

Powell told CEJ at Bromley that he considered ALF as similar to BWP. Bearing that in mind, whilst there's nowt wrong with buying ALF, he's far from a Benson replacement let alone a target man.
  • Options

Does anyone really think that they will sell him and leave us with only two strikers, after investing in a brand new squad? My hunch is that deals have already been struck, one permenant and one a season-loan. On a different note, Adam Smith has been away in South America since the end of June with the England Under-20 squad, so any deal for him will not be tied up until he returns whenever England get knocked out.

• Options
    It's still in Benson's hands though remember.  He might look at the situation and think "Not many strikers here, even if I'm on the bench I'm still picking up a better wage then I would be in Nottingham.  Plus, I'm not getting any younger."
  • Options
    Euell played in the PL last season, if his wage demands aren't excessive it wouldn't be that bad as a short term option.

That would surpise me as they are up to their eyeballs in debt and on the verge of admin.
  • Options

That would surpise me as they are up to their eyeballs in debt and on the verge of admin.
    But about to be bought by someone from Thailand : - )
  • Options

Looking around at some forums there was a lot of talk yesterday that Sheff Wed had bid 500k for Le Fondre

• Options
    It's still in Benson's hands though remember.  He might look at the situation and think "Not many strikers here, even if I'm on the bench I'm still picking up a better wage then I would be in Nottingham.  Plus, I'm not getting any younger."

Agreed. He might also think that if he's been told he won't get a game, he'd better move on, as no one will give him a contract next season, if he's not played this season.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Looking around at some forums there was a lot of talk yesterday that Sheff Wed had bid 500k for Le Fondre

Powell told CEJ at Bromley, that Le Fondre was available for £150K (much to my surprise).
  • Options
    I hope we do have deals all but tied up for other players if we sell Benno. Football isn't as easy as Football Manager, you can't just buy whoever you feel like with the right amount of money. If we don't have anyone for sure then we could have 100 targets and miss out on all of them due to club's valuation, competition, injury, anything. I'd much rather we got another two strikers in first then moved Benno on, but then I don't run the club. Fingers crossed it all works out or we could be looking very light up top come Bournemouth