Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County bid for Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    bennos done nothing really wrong

steve howard is a good shout for this division
  • Options
    waggy played as supporting striker against plymouth and didnt stop running. with green looking like first choice right mid, mite b an option
  • Options
    Not too bothered about him going, personally I don't think he's good enough at this level & you have to say the board have certainly stepped up to the mark but............. reports say that we are reluctant to lose him but have accepted a 150k bid. If the club are reluctant to lose him why not keep him cause you can be sure the last thing he would want is to move on from us with the signings made. Unless like McOxo it has been spelt out to him that he will only be a back up but in that case why play him? Ok fitness levels etc but if that were the case you would surely think a new guy, whether loan or permanent signing would already be here ?
  • Options
    heard a whisper we are signing Adebeyor tomorrow so am not too worried about Benson going.
  • Options
    adebeyor very funny athletico
  • Options
    We need four strikers.
  • Options
    Hi all, pie in peace here.

Well most of us are quite excited about PB possibly joining us.  Our chairman mentioned on our board a week or so ago that we had agreed personal terms with a striker but were haggling over a transfer fee...If he was talking about Paul then it may be close to a done deal, although I stress he mentioned no names.

With him being 31, if he had been told he would only be 3rd or 4th choice next season he could have thought that with his deal ending next year he wouldn't be able to attract another club for a new contract if he waited?  If we're offering him two or three years on a decent wage with a promise of him being first choice, it may have been enough to persuade him to move.

We've signed some new midfielders and fullbacks this year..Jeff Hughes, Alan Sheehan, Omar Bencherif, who hopefully can give him the service he needs, as this was one of the main reasons we struggled too last season!

Good luck for the season
  • Options
    We need four strikers.
    We definately need to start the season with at least 3 strikers. If we have accepted the bid I can only assume we have somebody else lined up.  Still suprised though as I really felt Benson would do well for us this season
  • Options
    Hi all, pie in peace here.

Well most of us are quite excited about PB possibly joining us.  Our chairman mentioned on our board a week or so ago that we had agreed personal terms with a striker but were haggling over a transfer fee...If he was talking about Paul then it may be close to a done deal, although I stress he mentioned no names.

With him being 31, if he had been told he would only be 3rd or 4th choice next season he could have thought that with his deal ending next year he wouldn't be able to attract another club for a new contract if he waited?  If we're offering him two or three years on a decent wage with a promise of him being first choice, it may have been enough to persuade him to move.

We've signed some new midfielders and fullbacks this year..Jeff Hughes, Alan Sheehan, Omar Bencherif, who hopefully can give him the service he needs, as this was one of the main reasons we struggled too last season!

Good luck for the season
    Hi Pie, if you do get him I think you'll be quite pleased but yeah he does need good service like most strikers - should easily get into double figures if he's a regular. Most fans would prefer we kept hold of him I think.
  • Options
    keep him for christ sake! He needs a 2nd season, so what if he didnt set the world alight last season we know he is a confidence player, If he starts scoring he will get better and better. Hes not a great player but hes a good enough striker for this league.

Are the wheels in motion is he in talks with Notts already?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    By talkSPORT
    Wednesday, July 20
    0 comments
    talkSPORT understands that Notts County have put in a bid of £150,000 for Charlton striker Paul Benson.
    The former Dagenham And Redbridge hit-man scored ten goals in 43 appearances last season for the Addicks.

And it appears the Magpies, who narrowly avoided relegation to League Two, are keen to snap up the centre forward to bolster their attack for the forthcoming season.

For those who can't be bothered with the link.
    Did he really play 43 times last year?
  • Options
    I think you are right pie, and I believe he is on relatively modest wages here so would expect him to fit in with your budget
  • Options

Benson's supposed departure casn only be justified on 2 possible grounds: 1) He's made it plain he wants to move or,  2) His incoming transfer fee will be used as (part of) a fee for a much better striker.

Le Fondre: I just have the feeling he is a bit of a busted flush and (like M Owen) has lost that vital flash of pace and perception over the first five yards..He spent the last few games last season on the bench. He doesnt look as tall as 5' 11" and anyway, scores with few headers, he is a fox in the box and a penalty expert.

The way that Powell seems to set up his teams, height in a striker is not as important as pace, skill and ,of course, scoring ability. Tall defenders are a must in any team, especially in the lower divisions as the 'long ball game' is rife and big lumpy strikers commonplace.  Charlton was very vulnerable in the air last season in defence, as well as Dailly and the much maligned Doherty played.  Let's hope that Morrison and Taylor, neither of whom are much over 6 foot will be able to cope. mambo is of course still an option and I hope that management are still looking for a tall central defender, preferably one who can play a bit.  

• Options

Joe Piggot is knocking in the goals for the U18's four against Oxford (inc 2x pens) in the last pre-season outing, might be a good shout for the big front man of the future.

Think we might take a punt on the French lad Alexis Honore from Toulouse if they can get another good look at him he scored three goals for U18's and is on trial (one for the development squad).

• Options
    By talkSPORT
    Wednesday, July 20
    0 comments
    talkSPORT understands that Notts County have put in a bid of £150,000 for Charlton striker Paul Benson.
    The former Dagenham And Redbridge hit-man scored ten goals in 43 appearances last season for the Addicks.

And it appears the Magpies, who narrowly avoided relegation to League Two, are keen to snap up the centre forward to bolster their attack for the forthcoming season.

For those who can't be bothered with the link.
    Did he really play 43 times last year?
    39 for us (32 league + 7 cup) and 4 for Dagenham.
  • Options

anyway .. he done gone !!!! .. and good luck to him

• Options
    Feel really sorry that all this has happened. Benno arrived complete with managers instructions on how to get the best out of him. Parky wanted Benno to do different things but we lacked the midfield to acchieve what Parky was aiming for. Benno took the flak for systemic failures. He is an honourable and honest player who did not deserve the vile hatred that a few of our so called fans dished out. I wish him nothing but happiness and success.
  • Options

Here,Here!! Good luck to Benno he always gave of his best in games.

Linsaddick said (Re Adam Le Fondre) - I just have the feeling  he is a bit of a busted flush.

Le Fondre is still only 24 a little young to be compared with Michael Owen or described prematurely as a busted flush.

50 goals in 2 seasons - If it ain't busted don't fix it!!

• Options
    The thing is stilladdicted, all clubs seem to come with a built in minority moronic fanbase who just have to choose a booboy for each season.  We have more than a few ourselves.  Poor Karl Hawley got almost paranoid about playing at home last season until MA came in and put a stop to it.

I always feel particularly uncomfortable when it's a player who clearly gives their all. 

Saying this, I can't see any player who scores 10 goals for us without even starting all games being such a player...until we signed Hughes, a ten goal a season striker would have been afforded legend status, we so rarely had one!
  • Options
    he doesnt leave with my blessing ,will be a mistake imo....
    he improved leaps and bounds at the end of the season and could only see him improving cos he appears to have a level head and a great work ethic
    we better have someone decent lined up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he doesnt leave with my blessing ,will be a mistake imo....
    he improved leaps and bounds at the end of the season and could only see him improving cos he appears to have a level head and a great work ethic

we better have someone decent lined up 
    Having someone decent lined up is the key here. BWP and Hayes isn`t enough so we can expect two in. As others have said, not a lot gone wrong so far this pre season so keep the faith.
  • Options
    It is just a little bizarre that he scores from his ex-teammates' cross and then is sold 12 hours later. I suspect that Benson decided to move as he has not had a guarantee of first team football with us and that at the age of 32 he has no time to waste sitting on the bench. Matrin Allen has got a good player at a decent price, Benson is a natural goalscorer
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Seems he's a popular member of your dressing room if Bradley Wp and JJ's tweets are anything to go by!
  • Options

Le Fondre: I just have the feeling he is a bit of a busted flush and (like M Owen) has lost that vital flash of pace and perception over the first five yards..He spent the last few games last season on the bench. He doesnt look as tall as 5' 11" and anyway, scores with few headers, he is a fox in the box and a penalty expert.

Not having a pop Lincs but that made me laugh.

What with the heightist issues already apparent on this board, would seem we should now steer clear of players who don't look as tall as they are ;)  

• Options

Not having a pop Lincs but that made me laugh.

What with the heightist issues already apparent on this board, would seem we should now steer clear of players who don't look as tall as they are ;)  

Adam LeF looks to suffer from a bit of the Gladstone Small's .. just a touch mind
  • Options
    Perhaps we should have one of those fairground measuring boards at the Valley and only those who are tall enough are allowed onto the pitch.
  • Options
    I would have been happy for Benno to stay but doesn't really bother me that he's going. I trust CP to bring in two strikers that are better permanently and then a young loanee to supplement that. If Sheff Weds have moved on to Le Fondre maybe Mellor is in our sights.
  • Options

Welcome Pie.

I think the general feeling is that without one particular eye-catching attribute, he would probably only have improved on a perfectly respectable scoring record next season, given better service and a regular starting place. We certainly didn't have the players to play to his strengths last year and appear now to be going in another direction again. Never let anyone down and should score well enough with the fresh confidence a supportive manager brings. Good luck for the season (except perhaps Hughes!)

• Options
    We should be trying to get Krystian Pearce as part of the deal.
  • Options
    I would say that Benno is a top half League 1 striker - if the brief is to build a team that can go on to compete in the Championship then you can see why we would be willing to let hime go. We do need 4 strikers though and I won't include Waggy in that so that means another 2. Hayes has played and scored in the Championship and BWP should have no problem in that respect - Benno in all honesty wouldn't be able to cut it at the higher level. I think a top half league 1 striker is good cover but he certainly insn't irreplacable. I am a bit cautious by nature so feel more comfortable bringing a player in before we let one go, but I'm sure given that we have spent money on strengthening the team that we won't neglect this area. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes in now.