Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Huddersfield | 28th November 2011 | Match Preview, Predictions, Views & News

WSSWSS
edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Preview Towers was going to shut down this Thursday to enjoy a day in the pub, as our disciples have been gearing up for Monday night’s game against Huddersfield since the victory over Brentford with a multitude of comments.  Our opponents on Monday have not been defeated in League One competition since a heart wrenching play-off capitulation against Peterborough in last season’s final and it is something Lee Clark and his team will be hoping to not experience again by finishing in at least second place come May.

It is testament to the start that Charlton have had, that despite the run that Huddersfield are on, the Addicks will start December at least two points clear at the summit regardless of Monday’s result.  Our past meetings in League One at The Valley have been entertaining affairs in the past two years, a late Joey  Gudjonsson winner last year gave the Terriers a somewhat underserved three points last year whilst Sam Sodje and Izale McLeod snatched a 2-1 win for Parkinson’s team back in 2009. 

In front of Sky, the best home attack (2.63 goals per game), goes up against the best away defence (0.67 goals conceded per game) and best away attack (2 goals per game) combined.  The cameras will be hoping that an open game with plenty of chances ensues, and with the quality of players possessed by both sides there’s no reason it will not pan out that way.  Much of the talk in the lead up to the game has been regarding the qualities of two of the top marksman in the league in the shape of Bradley Wright-Phillips and Jordan Rhodes, yet we get the feeling that both of these players could be overshadowed by an unsung hero coming to the fore under the floodlights on the 28th.

Chris Powell will have to learn how to spell a new name as he fills out his teamsheet against Huddersfield, having received news early in the week that captain and goalscorer Johnnie Jackson will be absent for “a number of weeks” with a hamstring injury.  It would seem Hogan Ephraim is the most likely replacement on the left, although the likes of Cedric Evina and Scott Wagstaff can all offer something on that side depending on the approach we adopt.  Matt Taylor will lead the team out of the tunnel and his four other mates in the back five will follow him having established a formidable wall in the past three months.  Danny Green has been speaking this week how he has been “banging goals in in training” and he will be chomping at the bit to get his first league goal for the Addicks in front of the Monday Night Football crowd, but we’d be happy with a couple of assists for Big Yann and/or BWP who will start up front.

A game has not been as highly anticipated down in SE7 for some time, yet we need to remember it is just another game in a very long season.  A win will send a message, a defeat will give hope to others and a draw will maintain the status quo.  Unfortunately, come 10pm on Monday, we’ll not be rocking all over the world, but we will be content. 2-2.

Come on you reds!!

Comments

• Options
    Cannot wait for this one, have a feeling it will be the most entertaining game we have seen for a while. 

3-3. BWP + Rhodes hat-tricks

• Options
    Can't see us conceeding 3. 4-1 to the reds - BWP hat-trick (come on - it has to happen soon) and one from Matt Taylor.
  • Options
    A cagey draw, we come from behind at 1-1
  • Options
    Total non event. Hype is destroyed by 90 mins of tentative probing.

0-0 and hopefully Sky never darken the Valleys door again.
  • Options
    what the clemmeister said
  • Options
    early Addicks goal sets the tone for a high scoring game
    4-2
    either way!
  • Options
    BWP and Rhodes BTS 
    As for the score, no idea really. Could be anything.
  • Options
    can see a draw here, 2-2
  • Options
    I'm bringing friends and they always see a bad performance everytime I say "it's going to be an amazing match!". We've been breaking hoodoos this season so another one to go. A win for us but a very nervy 2-1.
  • Options
    Think they'll play similar to how they did last season. We have more quality now and we are clinical infront of goal. 2-0 up at half time, they'll open the game up looking to get back into it and grab one back early after half time, then we'll kill the game off mid way through the second.

3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Early goals by us = many goals. Early goal by them = We become incredibly careful and pull it to a draw just. No goal early = No goals.

But honestly I don't have a clue what's gunna happen, doubt we'll lose though.
  • Options
    It could go either way IMO. 2-2 was my first thought but I'm hoping we can snatch it 2-1. 
  • Options
    1-1 with Hudds playing for another draw to add to the broken record.
  • Options
    2-1 with a late goal for them to make it nervous at the end. For some reason fancy Matt Taylor goal at some point in this match. COYR
  • Options
    3-1 defeat :( im so nervous about this game already. I'd love a draw but Jackson out is such a blow
  • Options
    3-1 defeat :( im so nervous about this game already. I'd love a draw but Jackson out is such a blow
    This. Jacko will be a massive miss and I see our whole balance down the left side being affected.
  • Options
    I reckon we will hammer them, I really do! 3  or 4 to the Haddocks, none to the Udders.
  • Options

Ephraim playing to impress not only his new loan club but also Colin Wanker watching on TV at home.

2-0 with BWP & Ephraim on his debut.

• Options
    Cagey first half followed by a cagier second half with an ultra cagey last 15 mins
  • Options
    After all the build up and hype the game has got all the makings of a tight, tense one. 1-0 to the Addicks. Green freekick in the last minute to blow the roof off the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1-0 kermorgant 79'

similar game to home to leeds 09/10 season

• Options

1-0 victory, OG by Rhodes, ball bounces in off his Scottish heed from an inswinging corner.

• Options

Ephraim playing to impress not only his new loan club but also Colin Wanker watching on TV at home.

2-0 with BWP & Ephraim on his debut.

This
  • Options
    No idea how this will turn out - two good teams who could both come out on top.  Agree with Clem that it could turn into a cagey non-event.

If I had to guess......1-1.

COYR!
  • Options

3-1 to us scoring a injury time 3rd on the breakaway after 20 mins of Huddersfield battering us looking for an equaliser. Goals from Morrison,Kermit and Waggy in injury time.

• Options
    1-1 seems pretty safe to me.

Kermorgant for us, Arfield for them.
  • Options

1-0 kermorgant 79'

similar game to home to leeds 09/10 season

• Options

Have to say the loss of JJ is a big blow.

I would have predicted a win prior to his injury but now I'm definately less certain........fancy a draw to be honest.

• Options
    I'm with Clem.
  • Options
    with two new players added to the fold i think powell is playing mind games with huddersfield's manager. I think that with them added huddersfield wont know what to expect and crumble to a 3-0 thrashing. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!