Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Well, that was a weird one. We were better than them in the first half, but every time we got into a good position we put in a terrible cross. Every time. We could have had two or three if the service had been any good, but it wasn't. Add to that Fuller trying to walk the ball into the net and it looked like we might eventually grind out a 1-0. Then the second half came, the deliveries improved for the first ten minutes, Yann missed a free header, after which point Posh started playing. They exploited the ludicrous gaps we left and too often we had Frimpong too deep, Jackson out of position after chasing a lost cause and they ran all over our midfield. Boyd was brilliant but they didn't create much clear-cut apart from one shot from Tomlin that resulted in a brilliant - I maintain impossible - save from Hamer.

Looked a bit like a stalemate at that point until Danny Green came on and changed it. He wanted the ball, got on it, ran hard and whipped in decent crosses, which Posh had proven from the first few minutes they were incapable of dealing with. Green also put their full back under pressure, put in some cheeky fouls and had them properly rattled. The goal from Fuller was superb and unexpected, but I felt with the pressure we were building down the right it was only a matter of time. Then yet again we broke down the right, and when you've got Hulse and Yann to aim for you're set. Really pleased with Green's contribution tonight but I feel if we'd just put some decent bloody crosses in in the first half we wouldn't have needed to get to this stage and Posh wouldn't have built up their head of steam. Three points in the bag but I hope Fuller isn't too badly injured. Couldn't help but laugh when he scored a blinder then collapsed in agony
  • Options
    Just back home. I didn't think the game was that bad to be honest. It was end to end stuff with Posh playing their part. We lacked quality in our play but could still easily have hit 4 or 5. They were much crisper and threatening going forward but without a finish and their defence wasn't as strong.

Overall, very happy with the 3 points. Big shame about Morro and Ric but I would bring in Matt Taylor and Rob Hulse without too many qualms. Still confident we can get at least a draw at the new Den.

Come on you Reds!!!
  • Options
    JT said:

Huskaris said:

timken said:

would someone explain to me what kerkar contributes

He is one of the the most frustrating players I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.

That's a big statement after a handful of games
    I find him frustrating. Not on his ability, just his inconsistency. Blackburn at home, he was brilliant, beating players, attacking full backs. Hence the ovation when he was replaced against Blackburn.

Hot or cold player, nothing in between. Not sure if he is a winger though. I feel he may be better suited in a role behind the forwards. From what I've seen, he has an edge to him, which I feel is wasted out wide.
  • Options
    posted after reading ALL the previous posts and have to say that I agree with about 95% of them..............how many more times are we going to put a team out that has no width, no movement and no pace. Can't fathom oput how we won that game and P'boro fans must be pulling their hair out.

All I can say is that if we play like that on Saturday we will be looking at another 4-0 thrashing. I know we all love SCP and he is Mr Charlton, but surely someone in the management team can see how poor we have been recently and try to change it.

just wish we could have a team of Solly's, Kermy's & Morro's !!
  • Options
    Have to agree with the last sentence, Golfie.

Solly is an incredible young man and I SO hope we can hold onto him.
  • Options

Fullers goal was unreal yann was offside I thought and didn't need to touch it

It wasn't going in, so he did have to touch it but I also thought he looked offside.

• Options
    Scrappy game and comical defending at times. Played well in first half when we were doing the simple things right but then stopped doing that and both teams looked shaky in second half and struggled to do the simple things.

Linesman was a comedian and watched the ball not the line. Good character to win though and decent atmosphere.

Will take a below par performance and a win over an unlucky loss or draw every day of the week.

Thought that the game passed JJ by and we could have made subs earlier but then went on to win so again the manager proves his knowledge and experience trumps my all night sessions on Championship Manager.

Good unbeaten run, hope we can maintain it this weekend.

Stood outside the ground tonight and felt good and noted how much better everything felt than only a couple of seasons ago.

• Options
    In Jan we need a LM. Kerkar is not great, Jackson can't play there (too slow). We should try and get Boyd from P'Boro. We also need a CM with a bit of quality, who can pick a pass, or Stephens could just step it up and become that.
  • Options
    If I were a football scout, I'd be chucking that 'Newell' fellas name about for Pboro
  • Options
    dizzee said:

In Jan we need a LM. Kerkar is not great, Jackson can't play there (too slow). We should try and get Boyd from P'Boro. We also need a CM with a bit of quality, who can pick a pass, or Stephens could just step it up and become that.

I said to Mr F on the way home that George Boyd would be a good acquisition .

Should be able to afford him come January......

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamer and Morrison are were probably our best players tonight. Seriously lacking pace before green came on. Hoping the game plan is a lot different Saturday
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

cant believe the amount of stick hamer was getting tonight from people around me, i thought he had a decent game but some didnt give him a chance, good result anyway and we move on to the big one

Must of been Button's family and friends...thought he had a good game. Claimed crosses and made some good saves...
    Thought he made a couple of excellent saves but overall not impressed this evening. Not sure what crosses you thought he came for. He seemed to be allergic to leaving his goal line for large chunks of the match. As for those moments when him and a defender are both trying to clear the same ball...well I had my heart in my mouth each and every time and it's clear that our defence feels much the same. Even when Hamer actually looked like he might clear it or claim it the defenders generally seemed to feel they needed to clear it themselves. They obviously had no confidence that Hamer would get there.

• Options
    Also, pound for pound Peterborough must be the fattest bloody team in the world. Their number 8, their keeper and their number 6 were already tipping the scales, and then their portly number 7 waddled on. I thought their end-game strategy was going to be eating Pritchard. Like a team of Andy Reids without all the quality that makes the tubbiness adorable rather than depressing
  • Options

posted after reading ALL the previous posts and have to say that I agree with about 95% of them..............how many more times are we going to put a team out that has no width, no movement and no pace. Can't fathom oput how we won that game and P'boro fans must be pulling their hair out.

All I can say is that if we play like that on Saturday we will be looking at another 4-0 thrashing. I know we all love SCP and he is Mr Charlton, but surely someone in the management team can see how poor we have been recently and try to change it.

just wish we could have a team of Solly's, Kermy's & Morro's !!

Not a great performance today by any means but come on - our "poor" recent showings have got 4 wins and a draw.
  • Options
    Apart from the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, Peterborough pretty much dominated the game. But they didn't make the breakthrough and when Fuller scored, their confidence seemed to drain completely and from then on, it was fairly plain sailing. Very much looked like a team that's going to struggle to stay up this year.
  • Options

dizzee said:

I said to Mr F on the way home that George Boyd would be a good acquisition .

Should be able to afford him come January......

Should have got him in the summer on a free !! He didn't want to sign a new contract and was waiting for a team to come in for him...........none did, so he signed a new deal with p'boro in Aug..............will cost money now !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    RT @cjsolly: Hard fought 3 points! Great win and unbeaten in 5! Roll on Millwall Saturday! #cafc
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Just got in posting before reading.
    Well, on the one hand you can say we were lucky, on the other hand Fullers goal was class and deserved to win it.
    We controlled the first half, but were crying out for a bit of pace, and a bit of width, there was a good early save from Yann but we threatened without being that deadly (obviously). Second half Peterborough were all over us, getting closer and closer Hamer had made two excellent saves (one in the first half) and hitting the post when it looked like it was going in...phew! However Peterborough then took the impetus out of their own game by 'dramatising' a couple of injuries. We brought on Green which livened things up a bit and Fuller, who'd looked patchy at best up to that point, scored his banger from 27 yards out. Cue dramatic substitution and smiles all round.
    We were on top after that but to me our second was offside clearly, a bit like the goal that Wolves had ruled out for offside at their place...ours was given by a poor linesman.
    Grins all round, especially for me as I had Fuller/2-0 at 25-1 (a special in the bookies), pity I only had a quid on it though.

I had a quid on it too, happy days.
  • Options
    Boyd would be another ex youth player returning. Wouldn't surprise me.

As for the game I didn't think it was that bad. Played some decent moves (especially out wide) in the first half. Looking forward to having Wiggins back to add to that.

Seabourne was what I expected, a CB/LB that does a solid job, much like Borrowdale and Thatcher did, can't see him offering a great deal going forward.

Fuller scored the type of goal we signed him for. Other than that a bit frustrating, makes mistakes but you know he can suddenly come up with that bit of quality at any time.

Would say Frimpong's not at his best or completely match fit yet, but he's still an improvement in the middle over what we had.

Desperately need Haynes or a new pacey striker in the team every week. It makes such a difference, causes problems, suits our slower players and allows us to play 4-4-2. For now at least with Frimpong and 2 of Yann, Hulse and Fuller we compete better in a 4-4-2, compared to when we were playing Hollands and BWP.

Green put the ball in for the second goal (though Hulse gets the assist ;-) ), but he also fouled or came close to fouling the opposition probably 4/5 times. Can be useful off the bench but hasn't down enough to be starting games again.

They did take control of the second half, they could have won, but then we could have gone into half time 1 or 2-0 up. I know they're bottom of the league so we expect to win comfortably, but I doubt they're far off, just not taking chances when they need to be or switching off defensively. They played some good football that probably deserves a goal.

We need Haynes, Wilson and Wiggins back if we're going to see our strongest team. Still not sure what our best combination is in CM.
  • Options
    We weren't great to me it felt like everyone had half an eye on Saturday. Gutted Morrison is suspended.

Stephens was poor Saturday but felt he was being saved for Saturday tonight what with being a booking away from suspension.

Fuller injured again, we've done brilliantly picking up points despite having to change the team every week. Alot more to come from this squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can't believe we won that, we were so poor. Was Green trying to get sent off with a continuous stream of pointless fouls? Fullers goal was brilliant but he continues to frustrate. What was Pritchard doing in the second half? He was awful tonight. Anyway, 3 points, a home win and onwards we go.

For fuck's sake, get off the bloke's (Green's) back. He made the second goal which killed the game.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Green put the ball in for the second goal (though Hulse gets the assist ;-) ), but he also fouled or came close to fouling the opposition probably 4/5 times. Can be useful off the bench but hasn't down enough to be starting games again.

Those fouls from Green were exactly what the doctor ordered. Sounds daft but he'd already scared their left back on the ball, and then he let him know he was in a battle off the ball as well. Took it a step too far with a foul near our box but he really put the frighteners on their LB when he went through him not long after coming on. Couldn't have been more pleased with Green's effort tonight
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    just didnt get going tonight, frustrating is the word, the reff was shit, 2-0 flattered us if you see where im coming from BUT the result made up for it, cant play well all the time, sometimes results have to be ground out and worked for... saveloys slipped down a treat though.

roll on derby day!
  • Options
    i honestly think peoples expectations are too high. it was a good, well fought win. clean sheet, we defo could have had 3 or 4 goals towards the end. we're not gonna win every game comfortably with free flowing football. We will need to bide our time, keep it tight and take the chances when they come-like tonight. two nil, unbeaten in five, millwall on saturday, and i had a cheeky three quid on the fuller/2vs0 at 25/1. winner winner, chicken dinner!
  • Options
    I thought we weren't that great for the first 70 minutes or so, but would have been gutted to lose to Peterborough who have to be the worst team I've seen us play this season: yes they had movement and were good at stringing passes together through midfield, but apart from that, the missed passes, and hoofed shots (into the Upper North and at a steward standing on the walkway halfway up the Jimmy Seed stand) - they looked like a team without confidence and prone to making mistakes. On balance we deserved a win, even if it was an ugly one, just for the Ricardo Fuller strike. Posh didn't have that and for all the good play they had, there was no real threat. They had three free kicks in the NE corner in the first half, they tried something different with each and all of them failed. I don't think relegation is done and dusted for them (on a different night it could have been 0-0 or 0-2) but they wreen't that great tonight.
  • Options
    Boring 'ell should have stayed in bed.

Blinder by Fuller

Barely deserved a draw

Frimpong made some nice passes but looked dopey, not aware of people around him
  • Options
    Posh are now four points adrift of safety at the foot of the Championship, and have not won in a month.

Palace impressed in the first half at The Valley but failed to take their chances, with Bradley Pritchard then hitting the post moments after the restart.
    Another match, another brilliant BBC match report...
  • Options
    I've never been that fussed with performances to be honest, it's about goals and results for me .... Simple...
  • Options
    Anyone actually know when wilson and wiggins are actually due back in training?

I for one can't wait for them both to be back especially wiggins. God I've missed him
  • Options

Must just be me I thought Fuller was shit Saturday and tonight, thought is was a result he scored and got injured as I was shouting for Powelly to bring Hulse on for ages. In fact extremely disappointed Stephens and Hulse were dropped. Are we saying Jackson is undroppable? Lack of width is hurting us. Solly is just different gravy

Everything you've said is what I've been thinking.
    Are you twins?