Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Some of the things I see on here do really make me wonder if the Valley has restricted view in certain areas or if some people just have no clue about football.
  • Options
    Not good, but good enough.

Worried how we'll get on withought Morrisson as Cort seems to have lost his early season magic. Pritchard was super as the snaping terrier when they were in possession, but worryingly lackadaisical when we had it. Wasn't impressed with Seaborne, Kerkar, or Fuller (other than the goal).

On the positive side I thought Hamer had a good game as (of course) did Solly. Good to see Kermorgant getting 90 minutes and Fuller's goal was super.

Peterborough were a funny side, thay tried to play nice football but they'd string a few good passes together and then do something really silly to lose the ball. Not sure if that's nerves or whether they're trying to play a brand of football that's beyond some of their team. Either way, if that's a standard performance, I'd be really surprised if they stayed up.
  • Options
    I didnt see last night as an inept desperate display, it was a run of the mill midweek victory which easily have been a run of the mill midweek defeat.

Peterboro played with width (to their credit) and also had a useful passing game at speed when they needed it, the other side to them (to their discredit) was an inept strike force and a niggly side to their game or Littles antics of launching himself when touched and then taking hand shakes all round for gaining a free kick. We do it as well (Fullers handball to control went unoticed for instance).

For our part Kerkar seemed out of sorts but maybe the oppostion had done their research on him and we did indeed lack pace but no more than that and this is a far better team than we were watching only a few weeks ago.

There is a positive buzz about the place both on and off the pitch with may not sit comfortably with everyone who posts on here and I am in not critisising or questioning thier opinions views of it all

In short last night was far from an awful or poor performance for me, hopefully a case of before the Lord Mayors show.

One last rant, I would love it if Chris Powell or the club made a simple statement at the start of the season along the lines of "if we have a player down injured, dont kick the ball out as we wont do it for you, no period of play lasts longer than a minute so lets get on with the game like men"

This charade of kicking it out and then relinquishing a clear advantage appears to continue as some sort of corner stone of fair play when abuse, spitting, tugging, elbowing, diving and all the other capers that go on are "part of the modern game".

If this practice is the last past bastion of fair play then just bin it as its irrelevent given what else goes on between professionals, everyone knows when someone is seriously hurt, let common-sense prevail instead of some dubious misplaced act of chivalry
  • Options
    Am well happy with the way things are going for us. Not one team in this league is unbeatable or playing brilliant free-flowing football week in week out! At 0.2 down against Cardiff who thought we would have turned it around and won another 3 and drew 1 since then with 3 clean sheets and the only goal conceded coming from an 88th minute pen.

How many games have we not got what we deserved from a game? Birmingham, Blackburn, Watford, Wolves and Leeds to name a few. It`s football, it`s life, you don`t always get what you deserve!

Moan all you like about certain players or certain performances but the bottom line is: Injuries have hampered us badly and continue to do so but this squad of players pulls together, fights, gives 100% and plays with their hearts for our football club.

We have stretched away from the bottom 3 when we looked like dropping into it at the Cardiff game and are now looking upwards and only 5 points outside the playoffs. There are plenty of teams who would like to be where we are right now!

At this moment in time I am well happy with that!

• Options
    Happy days. Another 3 points in the bag. I care nothing for the performance as in 4 or 5 games time I will have forgotten how we played v Peterborough. Come Saturday v Millwall , we may play like a Prem team or even a league 2 team. Who knows, but I won't be dwelling on the performance if we pick up a result. EIEIEIO onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

One last rant, I would love it if Chris Powell or the club made a simple statement at the start of the season along the lines of "if we have a player down injured, dont kick the ball out as we wont do it for you, no period of play lasts longer than a minute so lets get on with the game like men"

This charade of kicking it out and then relinquishing a clear advantage appears to continue as some sort of corner stone of fair play when abuse, spitting, tugging, elbowing, diving and all the other capers that go on are "part of the modern game".

If this practice is the last past bastion of fair play then just bin it as its irrelevent given what else goes on between professionals, everyone knows when someone is seriously hurt, let common-sense prevail instead of some dubious misplaced act of chivalry

Spot on. How many times did it happen against Hudders? 5? 6?
    Then again last night when we had the ball on the edge of their area. It does my head in.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Then again last night when we had the ball on the edge of their area. It does my head in.
    Isn't it up to the team in possession of the ball anyway to make the decision to kick it out? Unless it's a head injury in which case the ref stops it automatically.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Except that the ref blew up, forcing us to stop. We would have carried on otherwise.

OTOH I think we should have competed at the drop ball insetad of letting them kick it back to Hamer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure it was nothing but did anybody notice the number of times Peterborough kicked the ball out of play? - not just a clearance but passes being over hit consistently. We were starting to think they had a bet on - they'd well and truly smashed a load into the east and west by half an hour, then proceeded to blaze every shot they had over the bar. Just a thought....
  • Options
    I'm a bit surprised at some of the negative views expressed on here about Frimpong. Give him a chance guys. He clearly isn't match fit yet but he is strong and picks a good pass, either short or long. I hope he will stay for the rest of the season and, having got sharper, I think he could play a big role in our season.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Except that the ref blew up, forcing us to stop. We would have carried on otherwise.

OTOH I think we should have competed at the drop ball insetad of letting them kick it back to Hamer.

At least three times against Huddersfield one of their players went down clutching his head in the area when we were attacking, and everytime the game got stopped. I had a wee smile watching the highlights last night when Middlesboro scored while a Huddersfield player was on the floor in the area, holding his head!

• Options

Jints said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

At least three times against Huddersfield one of their players went down clutching his head in the area when we were attacking, and everytime the game got stopped. I had a wee smile watching the highlights last night when Middlesboro scored while a Huddersfield player was on the floor in the area, holding his head!

It seems to have become a tactic now. If you're in trouble, go down clutching your head. The ref will stop play and you end up getting the ball back. I was yelling at Kermogant to contest the drop ball after that cheating little shit went down in the box last night. Serves them bloody right if kerm had kicked the ball straight back into their net!

• Options
    Let's all have a reality check. The run of points has been great but last night's display was shockingly bad. Peterborough were made to look like Brazil for most of the game and yet they're the worst team in the league. It's a travesty that they didn't win as they could easily have been 3-0 up at times. We were bailed out by a piece of genious from RF. I can't help thinking that the doom and gloom merchants would be out in force had we lost to Posh. The fact is, we should have lost and that needs to be addressed for Saturday. If we play the same then you can expect at least a 4-0 mauling. Mark my words!
  • Options
    Frimpong's problem last night was that noone else around him was on the same wavelength or had enough pace to be where they should have been when he had to select an option. He is too good for this level. He missed Stephens last night who at least thinks at Frimpong's level even if his feet don't always obey his brain. We are lucky to have Frimpong, Don't knock him. Can't believe the comment about our midfieled being better when he went off. The difference was that Green gave us width which allowed the centre mids more time and space. Not Frimpong's fault. JJ should have come off for Green. Rant Over.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Let's all have a reality check. The run of points has been great but last night's display was shockingly bad. Peterborough were made to look like Brazil for most of the game and yet they're the worst team in the league. It's a travesty that they didn't win as they could easily have been 3-0 up at times. We were bailed out by a piece of genious from RF. I can't help thinking that the doom and gloom merchants would be out in force had we lost to Posh. The fact is, we should have lost and that needs to be addressed for Saturday. If we play the same then you can expect at least a 4-0 mauling. Mark my words!

This!!!

• Options
    I don't believe it!

No wonder you call yourself Meldrew, Victor.

;o)
  • Options
    3 points. 13th in the league. Eat my shorts.
  • Options
    Sounds like the doom and gloom merchants are ALREADY out to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The difference was that Green gave us width which allowed the centre mids more time and space.

Spot on.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

I think this is a bit OTT. Just taking the first half, we had:

- a very good shoot from Yann saved by the keeper
    - Jacko putting an easy header over the bar
    - Fuller making a good run and shot saved by the keeper's legs.

We really could have been 3 up before they seriously tested Hamer. I agree we didn't play very well, and they certainly looked more dangerous going forward in the 2nd half, but you make it sound very one-sided, which it wasn't.
  • Options
    You didn't include Pritchard's diving header which struck the post
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

You didn't include Pritchard's diving header which struck the post

True, thank you Oggy, though that was the 2nd half :-)
  • Options
    Ah ....of course.
  • Options
    "Reality check"?

How about checking the form guide? That will do for me.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, unless we play brilliantly and win every game then it's just not good enough! Really? I know it wasn't vintage stuff but how many games last season did you come away feeling underwhelmed but we still managed to get three points? And how many times did we get doom mongers saying the same old stuff? I know this league is a step up in quality but, wherever you play, winning becomes a habit and we're getting into the habit-let's embrace it while it lasts!

• Options
    All this 'worst performance ever' stuff is a load of old shit, where have you been the last 6 seasons!?!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Plaaayer said:

All this 'worst performance ever' stuff is a load of old shit, where have you been the last 6 seasons!?!

This
    Last few seasons I didn't know who the next opponents are let alone the ones after that... right now I'm off to my first away game on saturday since Selhurst 2008 and even took time to look up Reading's form this time last year to see that we can stay on par with them with two wins out of the next three.
    If we had pacy wingers, strikers etc then we would be top 6 but instead we have injuries and a few loan players who only just joined the club since September.

I think it's only fair to give Chris Powell another 12-18 months before comparing us to Brazil!

• Options
    v Barnsley we were worse