Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Bad day at the office but we won and move on to Millwall. Thought the midfield were very poor and gave YK and RF no service whatsoever. We need width and BP and SK aren't providing the goods. We improved when DG and RH came on. My team for Saturday would be

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

Spot on VM, exactly this.
  • Options

Haven't read through the thread but just want to mention Danny Green.

I really like Danny. I think he is excellent BUT he has to be 1 of the most infuriating and frustrating players I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt!! Has the ability to put in some great crosses like the 1 for the 2nd goal last night. I think if he was consistent he could easily be 1 of the best players in this league, then there are other times where he can be dire!! He is so inconsistent. Very frustrating!!

100% agree with you. He played the ball of the match Saturday to Hulse and we almost scored and the ball of the match last night and we scored!

Very lucky last night that Posh had no finishers otherwise we would have lost. If we play like that Saturday Millwall will stuff us. Most frustrating thing for me is how slow our build up play is. Surely Powell has to drop Jackson soon, so off the pace. Frimpong and Stephens in the middle for me and unfortunately against Millwall, I would start with Pritchard on the right!

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

Fuller said he'll be fine for Saturday.

When?

• Options
    Deadred said:

Bad day at the office but we won and move on to Millwall. Thought the midfield were very poor and gave YK and RF no service whatsoever. We need width and BP and SK aren't providing the goods. We improved when DG and RH came on. My team for Saturday would be

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

Jackson on the left of midfield?
  • Options
    I'm a lot more positive than most appear to be.

It was a decent, tight game. Not every game is going to be a 5-4 rip snorter, that's just not how football is. Once again there were enforced changes to the team. We are getting little opportunities to build up team consistency and understanding, and i think that is impacting on our attacking play and slightly laboured approach when the emphasis is on us at home to take the initiative.

Equally, we only had about 7 players starting last night that i would class as being fully match fit. It makes such a big difference when players haven't had a consistent run of games.

Yet despite all this, we managed to secure another precious victory. I said at HT on the match thread that I could only see a goal coming from a set piece or from a bit of Fuller magic, and that is exactly what happened. What a strike !

13 points from 15 when have, lets face it, been going through an injury crisis and utilising a number of loanees, is absolutely fantastic. If we can just start keeping people fit, then i really don't think we have seen the best yet, and could time a run very well around the new year when players have found match fitness and consistency.

Hamer pulled off a big save in the second half, and equally they looked to have a decent penalty shout, both at 0-0. I think more has gone against us this season so far than for us, but last night was one of those nights where the small margins worked in our favour.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Deadred said:

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

Please God no!
  • Options

hen players have found match fitness and consistency.

Hamer pulled off a big save in the second half, and equally they looked to have a decent penalty shout, both at 0-0. I think more has gone against us this season so far than for us, but last night was one of those nights where the small margins worked in our favour.

No they didn't have a decent penalty shout. It was on our side of the pitch and there was definately no contact. It was right in front of the linesman and the ref had a reasonable view. Should have been booked for diving
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Plaaayer said:

Fuller said he'll be fine for Saturday.

When?

After the game.
  • Options

I can't believe we won that, we were so poor. Was Green trying to get sent off with a continuous stream of pointless fouls? Fullers goal was brilliant but he continues to frustrate. What was Pritchard doing in the second half? He was awful tonight. Anyway, 3 points, a home win and onwards we go.

For fuck's sake, get off the bloke's (Green's) back. He made the second goal which killed the game.
    Whether he made the goal or not he did make a number of silly fouls. Little OTT I think.
  • Options
    Fat man tomlin the number 8 dived. No contact was a dive. Yann was moaning for 5mins to lino about handball from sollys shot in first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Scoham said:

Deadred said:

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

I expect so yes because he is captain and SCP will want him in there for his experience and leadership. Personally I would have Kerkar in there in place of him which would then allow Pritchard to play RM instead of Green because we will need at least one natural wide man to deliver some crosses with a CM pairing of DS & EF. Kerkar had an off day last night and Green made a difference when he came on so if JJ plays as is highly likely, Green is a must.
  • Options
    Drastically missing pace in the team, particularly up front. Haynes back Saturday and once Wiggins and Wilson are back it will be a big plus. Not convinced about Frimpong yet - something missing - engine/mobility/desire? - Boyd would be a decent acquisition. Morrison suspension a downer but still think we can turn them over saturday.
  • Options
    redman said:

hen players have found match fitness and consistency.

No they didn't have a decent penalty shout. It was on our side of the pitch and there was definately no contact. It was right in front of the linesman and the ref had a reasonable view. Should have been booked for diving
    Absolutely. Don't know whether Tomlin dived or just fell over his gut but definitely no contact
  • Options
    Deadred said:

Scoham said:

Deadred said:

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

I expect so yes because he is captain and SCP will want him in there for his experience and leadership. Personally I would have Kerkar in there in place of him which would then allow Pritchard to play RM instead of Green because we will need at least one natural wide man to deliver some crosses. Kerkar had an off day last night and Green made a difference when he came on so if JJ plays as is highly likely, Green is a must.
    I'd worry about our midfield being too slow with 2 of Green, Jackson and Stephens, especially in a 4 man midfield.

Last night we were getting decent crosses in without Green on the pitch. Pritchard and Kerkar have created goals from out wide and Solly is also putting decent crosses in.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Scoham said:

Deadred said:

Scoham said:

Deadred said:

BH

CS
    CC
    MT
    DS

DG
    DS
    EF
    JJ

DH
    RH

I expect so yes because he is captain and SCP will want him in there for his experience and leadership. Personally I would have Kerkar in there in place of him which would then allow Pritchard to play RM instead of Green because we will need at least one natural wide man to deliver some crosses. Kerkar had an off day last night and Green made a difference when he came on so if JJ plays as is highly likely, Green is a must.
    I'd worry about our midfield being too slow with 2 of Green, Jackson and Stephens, especially in a 4 man midfield.

Last night we were getting decent crosses in without Green on the pitch. Pritchard and Kerkar have created goals from out wide and Solly is also putting decent crosses in.
    I am not championing a cause for Green over Pritchard or Kerkar I am just suggesting options to accommodate JJ at LM with a CM of DS & EF. Anyway not sure about the decent crosses, weren't many coming from left field. Solly yes a couple of times from the right but don't remember Pritchard getting to the byeline but it's not what we want is it, it's what SCP is going to do and I'm fairly certain that JJ will be starting. The pace in midfield has been a problem all season and may well continue to be.
  • Options
    not sure if someone's already posted highlights but the two goals are here: http://www.footytube.com/video/charlton-athletic-peterborough-united-nov27-145007?ref=lchan_vidgrid
  • Options
    jams said:

not sure if someone's already posted highlights but the two goals are here: http://www.footytube.com/video/charlton-athletic-peterborough-united-nov27-145007?ref=lchan_vidgrid

Looking at that I'd have to say that Kermo was just about onside for his goal. Looked off from behind the goal last night but when Hulse played it I think Kermo was level with him.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    2nd goal: what a great ball in from Danny Green.

Drilled in behind the defensive line and, unless the keeper is lightning quick off his line, almost impossible to defend.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

So not an off-target shot ?

• Options

Oggy Red said:

So not an off-target shot ?

Harsh, even me who isn't Green's biggest fan will give him credit for putting a dangerous ball into the box, mishit shot or not.

Assist goes to Hulse though : - )

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with those saying we should start Pritch in RM on Saturday however I think at times CP is a bit slow in getting Green on, think he should have been on at least 15 mins earlier last night.

I am worried about our left side though if it is the same as last night. While Seaborne was fine there was very little communication/understanding with Kerkar, it's totally understandable given the lack of time he's had but it does worry me. And as for Kerkar, hmm.
  • Options
    I think, all things considered, with the horrendous injuries we've had, and numerous terrible decisions against us, I think we're doing pretty damn well. With a few quality additions, the majority of the squad from last year is still in place...I love the fact that the squad, SCP, the fans and the club are progressing forward together. Long may it continue
  • Options
    Fuller's goal out of nothing .. unstopable .. what a dangerous player he his
  • Options
    I think we all thought Frimpong was the answer, obviously not. What is the biggest concern is our inability to get a settled side. This is not really a problem SCP can solve easily. If your best players get injured for any period of time the team is turned upside down. We may well play Millwall without Morrison, Wiggins, Wilson and Haynes. All 4 nailed on starters when fit. Get BWP back to form by playing him with Hulse or Fulller, Premiership players who may well get him playing again.
  • Options
    Personally hope green doesn't play sat he will go missing
  • Options
    having not had the chance to get to many games this year, maybe we don't know what we've got til it's gone *cough* wilson *cough* stephens
  • Options
    Have a lemsip, Haynes is the one we really miss
  • Options
    Green got a lot of support from the Covered End when warming up and just before he came on and I think he really responded to that. Fans can take some credit for the fire he showed when he came on I reckon
  • Options
    We're on a decent run, even if we are not uprooting trees in every game.

What Chris Powell is doing is making us a harder team to beat - just 1 defeat in 8 games is evidence of this.

Some fans might not like the emphasis on a tight defensive unit and interpret it as negative, but it was the foundation of last season's runaway success and the foundation this year also.

Many of last night's team were playing in the Third Division last season.
    The fact that Charlton are in a healthy mid-table position after 19 games indicates the progress being steadily made.

Rome wasn't built in a day, etc.
  • Options
    Any links for the goals? Tried looking on Sky Sports but cannot locate highlights from last night.
    Cheers.